As much as we’re reluctant to feed into more negative stereotypes of an entire country, it’s – sadly – time for yet another gross food-related story out of China.
A 58-year-old woman in Jiangsu Province was admitted to the hospital with severe abdominal pains after a marathon binge eating session left her with a ruptured stomach. The rupture was allegedly so bad the woman’s entire stomach had to be surgically removed for an emergency replacement, leading some of the more sensational news outlets and our click-hungry headline to refer to the woman’s stomach as having “exploded.”
Perhaps the second most shocking part of this story is that the events of the above paragraph are apparently not shocking enough to elicit much of a reaction from Chinese Netizens – reports suggest that this kind of thing happens in Jiangsu Province several times a year. The most shocking part of the story is what did shock the Chinese Internet into spreading the story like wildfire: After the woman’s stomach was removed, it reportedly released a flammable gas into the operating room and literally burned up right before doctors’ eyes.
We can only speculate that the burning stomach then sprouted legs and skittered away, because this woman was obviously infected by the monster from The Thing.
According to people way smarter than us, it’s possible the woman suffered from alcoholism and the built-up ethanol in her system was the primary factor in the poor woman’s stomach going up in flames, but authorities are still investigating. Anyway, if this doesn’t provide motivation for you to stick to that New Year’s resolution diet, we don’t know what will.