Japanese anime and manga informational site Charapedia is fond of making lists. For their latest poll, they asked 10,000 of their users to submit votes for the top 20 female anime/manga characters who are scary when they become enraged. The results are certainly telling, as all of the characters have one thing in common—you don’t want to push any of their buttons, because there’s no telling how you’d end up!
The online poll ran for one week between August 13 and August 19. The 10,000 respondents were evenly split between the sexes with 49.3% of them male and 50.7% female. 72.8% of them were aged 30 or younger.
Here are the top 20 results, in descending order:
20. Roberta (Black Lagoon) [130 points]
19. Mikoto Misaka (A Certain series) [157 points]
18. Sakura Mato (Fate series) [159 points]
17. Kagura (Gintama) [163 points]
16. Rena Ryugu (Higurashi When They Cry) [175 points]
15. Balalaika (Black Lagoon) [183 points]
14. Nami (One Piece) [184 points]
13. Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) [194 points]
12. Miyuki Shiba (The Irregular at Magic High School) [209 points]
11. Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari series) [251 points]
10. Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail) [254 points]
9. Kotonoha Katsura (School Days) [258 points]
8. Shino Asada (Sword Art Online) [265 points]
7. Ran Mouri (Detective Conan) [269 points]
6. Ayase Aragaki (Oreimo) [279 points]
Now, let’s round off the top five!
5. Sakura Haruno (Naruto) [283 points]
4. Riko Aida (Kuroko’s Basketball) [303 points]
3. Asuna Yuuki (Sword Art Online) [316 points]
2. Tae Shimura (Gintama) [461 points]
1. Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) [497 points]
Yikes! Those are some angry faces. You certainly wouldn’t want to cross one of them and suffer her eternal wrath.
Japanese fan reaction played out in typical fashion, with some fans pleased (or terrified) to see their choices near the top of the list, and others lamenting the lack of their female anime nightmare:
“Balalaika from Black Lagoon is definitely scariest for me.”
“Pff, these were obviously chosen by kids.”
“I thought for sure someone from Love Live! would be on the list but I was wrong.”
“One Piece‘s Nami is only at 14!?”
“Is this just a ranking of battle power? Let’s talk about the terrifying power of words, people.”
“When Haruhi [The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya] gets mad, rather than being scary, I think she’d just be a pain.”
“You guys don’t know the terror of Chiquita [Jormungand].”
Maybe I’m just old-school, but it would’ve been nice to see at least one of Rumiko Takahashi’s plucky heroines rounding off the list, such as Ranma ½‘s Akane Tendo or Inuyasha‘s Kagome Higurashi. And of course, let’s not forget the only person Dragon Ball‘s Goku has ever been “afraid” of: his wife Chichi!