- Master Blaster
Feb 28, 2014
On 11 March, 2011 Hiroki Takai was studying at a university in Vancouver. Instead of feeling helpless at the steadily flowing images of destruction in the media following the Tohoku Earthquake and tsunami, he quickly took action and gathered other Japanese students to raise money for their homeland. Thanks to the students’ efforts and the generosity of the people of Vancouver the “Japan Love Project” managed to raise CAN$320,000 (US$288,000) in aid.
Now, with the 3-year anniversary of the Great Tohoku Earthquake approaching, Takai wanted to pay the kindness of the Canadians back. As a part of the International Volunteer University Student Association (IVUSA) he asked for a team to travel to the West coast of Canada to help clean up the still-increasing driftage that is washing up on its shores. Headed by fourth-year Ritsumeikan University student Yusuke Oike, a crew of 70 students answered the call.
- Fran Wrigley
Feb 26, 2014
With an estimated 50 percent of unsolicited mail being thrown away without even being opened, one advertising agency has come up with an original idea: send the mail to cats, instead of their owners!
As you might expect, the product being advertised is cat-related! When Canadian company Bulk Cat Litter Warehouse approached ad agency Rethink Communications for a direct flyer, they came up with this clever mailout that your kitty will adore!
- Krista Rogers
Feb 24, 2014
Ah, the joys of international travel. You shell out the majority of your paycheck for a ticket and spend sleepless nights counting down the days to your adventure of a lifetime. Then the day of departure finally comes and you board the plane, arriving hours later at your destination and trembling with anticipation. Camera in hand, you journey to the first famous place on your list that you’ve been dreaming about for weeks on end. Finally there, you take a quick look around, eyes widening in surprise, and blurt out, “…that’s it?!”
It’s not just gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyū who has won the hearts of anime fans. 23-year-old Canadian figure skater and Olympic silver medalist Patrick Chan seems to be a K-ON! fan himself. He personally posted a YouTube video of himself preparing for his 2011 trip to Japan — by drumming along to the anime’s opening:
With all of the weird and horrifying animals that seem to be coming out of the ocean recently, we thought we had seen it all. But a Facebook user recently posted a picture of a fish that looks straight out of Silent Hill.
The mysterious sea creature was caught in the Arctic water of the northern territory of Nunavut in Canada. Are you ready to see a fish that could give you nightmares?
The new Nintendo 2DS is out and we got our greedy little paws on the first one we could! Mmm…we love the smell of new game systems in the morning!
It’s not foldable and it doesn’t have a 3-D screen. On the other hand, it’ll play 3DS games with no problem and it’s significantly cheaper.
But is it worth your cold, hard cash? Find out below!
- Paula Gerhold
Sep 11, 2013
Ever felt like you just really needed to be a dragon for a day or two? Maybe wish you could look the part when on a rampage at the office or in your school quad? Calgary Cosplay is here to help with their newly-released dragon suit specially designed to make your dreams a reality!
- Master Blaster
Aug 23, 2013
Like many a baseball player in Japan, Munenori Kawasaki looks up to Japanese baseball legend Ichiro Suzuki. But Kawsasaki has been especially well known for his unflinching support of the future Hall of Famer. Even during his younger days of playing the sport in Kagoshima his style was compared to that of Ichiro.
Years later, on 21 August it would seem the stars aligned just right for Kawasaki as he found himself on the field just as Ichiro made his 4,000th professional hit in a game against the Toronto Blue Jays. But Kawasaki’s pure enthusiasm that night might have even eclipsed his hero’s milestone.
With the newest (and as always, highly anticipated) feature-length film from Studio Ghibli – The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu) — scheduled for release in Japan in less than a month, we’ve been seeing the anime production company’s name a lot in the news recently. Well, it appears that fans of Ghibli animes based near Vancouver, Canada, now have reason to be extra happy over the next month or so. Why? Because it’s going to be Ghibli Fest at The Cinematheque, the film society and cinema establishment located in Vancouver!
- Master Blaster
Jun 27, 2013
In a rare feat of feathered flight, a racing pigeon from Japan has managed to somehow traverse the entire Pacific Ocean and wind up on the west coast of Canada. Sadly, the pigeon’s original owner wasn’t willing to pay to have the brave bird brought back, but things have ended up working out well for the little guy.
We can see why this futuristic pod… chair… thing is called “The Emperor,” because there’s no way you wouldn’t feel like some powerful sci-fi movie villain hunting the rebels from your battle cruiser’s control station when sitting in it. But if you can actually keep your power fantasies from distracting you, this chair guarantees increased productivity and maximal office comfort.
To mark the second anniversary of the March 11 disaster, student volunteers in Vancouver spent two days dealing with the lingering effects. They collected more than 40 large trash bags of tsunami debris that has been littering beaches on Vancouver Island’s Pacific Rim National Park. Read More
Behold the baby fennec fox in his terrible cuteness. Who can look away from those guileless, soul-stealing eyes? Who can resist the temptation to scritch those fluffy ears, to boop that weeny little nose?! Admit it, you just reached out to your screen, didn’t you?
Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one to find themselves defenseless in the face of such adorableness. When pictures were posted on the message board Hamusoku this week, the squees could be heard all around the Internet. More photos after the break. Read More
Grab Your Foil Hats, Researchers Successfully Manipulate Desires Using Magnetic Fields on People’s Brains
- Master Blaster
Feb 14, 2013
Research teams at McGill University in Canada and Japanese scientific institute RIKEN have successfully zoned in on the region of the brain connected to smokers’ urge to light up.
On top of that, they found that by manipulating the brain’s electric activity around that region they could reduce a person’s desire to smoke. While this is great news for addiction treatment, the idea of noninvasively controlling people’s wants is a troubling concept.
Jul 13, 2012
Some folks are bemoaning whether we live in 1970 or 2012, regarding Toshiba Canada’s ads for its Excite tablets. Set in a clearly ‘oriental’-looking room, “Lucy” and her cleavage acclaim the advantages of the tablet, helped along by other close-up body shots and not-so-subtle jokes. Read More
- Mac Denny
May 6, 2012
The heartwarming, true story about a disaster-stricken man being reunited with his long lost Harley Davidson has made the rounds on the Internet and tugged at the heartstrings of Japanese Internet users in particular.
“They’ve started writing the movie already,” posted one enthusiastic reader on the Topsy.com comments section.
Man loses three family members and nearly all of his possessions in a horrific earthquake and tsunami and spends over a year in temporary housing before hearing one day that someone found his treasured motorcycle 4,000 miles across the ocean, reasonably intact considering the beating it took at the hands of the Pacific Ocean? We may have something here, Mr. DeMille. Read More
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break1
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares2
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date6
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman7
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!8
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!9
- Hanahana are some of the most elegant and expensive sparklers ever made10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Hanahana are some of the most elegant and expensive sparklers ever made
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Fashion advice – Almost half of Japanese women say they don’t like guys wearing tank tops
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Stop the itching from a mosquito bite in minutes with this cool trick!
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back