The Forbidden City has been a popular tourist attraction for a few decades, but has stood in its current location in Beijing for over six centuries. Once the palace of emperors, it now houses the Palace Museum. It is also home to a group of guard cats that patrol the formerly royal grounds. Let’s take a closer look at these felines, some of which are direct descendants of palace house pets.
- Fran Wrigley
Feb 28, 2014
Like many children, I had an imaginary friend. Unlike many children, mine was a cat. I used to play with him in the garden and yell at my family when they pretended to kick him. I never had an imaginary boyfriend though…
You’ve read about the art of taking a convincing fake-girlfriend selfie. Maybe you downloaded one of those virtual boyfriend apps to compliment you all day long. Perhaps you bought a hug pillow (complete with washable shirt) to snuggle with all night. These stunning photos of an “imaginary girlfriend” and “imaginary boyfriend”, however, bring a new and quiet beauty to the world of the imaginary friend.
- Joan Coello
Feb 28, 2014
There are many types of siblings; the over-achieving one who never fails to make you feel like a loser, the bully who makes you do their share of the chores, the doted one who always gets the biggest slice of cake, the spendthrift one who keeps borrowing money from you… we could go on for ages.
Having siblings can be a pain or a blessing, and in the case of this little girl, it’s a huge blessing as she’s lucky enough to have a brother who is 18 years older than her and is nothing short of her Prince Charming!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 28, 2014
One beautiful woman in China has had Weibo users talking, not because she’s actually a man, but because she was born in 1979. That’s right, this pigtail-lined face belongs to a 35-year-old woman. Posting under the username “十早z”, her image has taken forums by storm, inspiring comments ranging from “Are you sure you don’t mean 25?” to “She’s got to be either a ghost or a fairy.”
- Cara Clegg
Feb 28, 2014
Air pollution in Beijing on February 25 was worryingly high, but one couple wasn’t going to let that spoil their special day. The brave pair risked the toxic smog to pose for their wedding shots, but took sensible steps to keep themselves safe. The results, however, are a little more creepy than they are romantic.
- Casey Baseel
Feb 27, 2014
A man and woman pretending to be boyfriend and girlfriend in order to please their traditionally-minded, grandchild-expecting parents is one of the oldest clichés in romantic fiction. It’s right up there with the moody jerk with a heart of gold and the rich, dreamy architect who would love to spend more time with the heroine if only he wasn’t juggling so many projects.
In real life, though, often times once you peel back the layers of jerk a guy has wrapped himself in, all you’ll find he was hiding deep down inside was a smaller, more concentrated jerk. Architecture has one of the highest unemployment rates of any professional field. And talking someone you’re not dating into pretending to be your girlfriend? It’s not nearly as cute as movies and TV make it out to be, as proven by the ugly aftermath of a man in China’s unsuspecting parents giving a sizeable cash gift to his fake girlfriend.
This sentence is a mouthful: According to Japanese media, Chinese media is reporting that, according to German media, Chinese kids are getting a strange cosmetic surgery known as “Eiffel Tower nose” in record numbers in order to get ahead in their careers.
Despite the fact that we have no idea what “Eiffel Tower nose” is, it is apparently a surgery so extreme that some Chinese college graduates feel it helps set them apart visually from others in the job race.
I’m sure we can all agree that at the end of a long workday there’s nothing better than enjoying a nice glass of pig’s blood. I don’t mean that bottled crap you buy in the supermarket, chocked full of additives and high fructose corn syrup. I’m talking about the real-deal piping hot blood straight from a live pig.
However, before you go ahead and take a nice drink, take heed. As one young man from Guangxi, China learned, drinking too much live pig’s blood (i.e. any) can actually be bad for your health.
Gone are the days when remarkable people could live their whole lives without their talent being recognised. In the internet era, all you need is a camera to show the world exactly what it is that makes you unique. These nine hilarious bunny face GIFs have made one Chinese girl into a viral sensation.
The loopy animations show the girl making different bunny facial expressions including “cheerful rabbit”, “startled rabbit”, and “perverted rabbit”. Since being uploaded to Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter, the animations have hopped and jumped their way around the world, taking the animal GIF to a new level!
- Philip Kendall
Feb 26, 2014
A two-year-old girl in China’s Anhui Province is recovering in hospital after accidentally cutting off four of her own fingers while playing unattended at home. Unbeknown to her mother, the little girl had procured a knife from the family kitchen and cut through her digits while pretending to cook.
Warning: the following report contains images that (although mercifully blurred out) some readers may find distressing.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Feb 25, 2014
An unidentified Chinese man in his thirties or forties stole an alligator coat valued at approximately $128,000 from a Hong Kong Burberry store by putting it on and just walking out the front door on Wednesday, authorities told South China Morning Post.
- Cara Clegg
Feb 25, 2014
What’s this strange contraption? Perhaps a headrest, or some kind of anti-cheating device? Maybe it’s something for the kids to hold on to when English grammar classes get too exciting to bear!?
Actually, this classroom has been fitted with these specially-designed desks as a measure of preserving their kids’ precious eyesight.
- Fran Wrigley
Feb 25, 2014
A bank teller in Shanghai kept a cool head when a would-be robber threatened her with a huge meat cleaver. Without showing even a hint of fear, the bank teller can be seen laughing and pointing at the man, as his bungled robbery ends in him being taken away by security guards.
While the silly news last year about a Chinese zoo trying to pass a dog for a lion made headlines around the world, the story this time is a lot more disturbing. A zoo in Xiamen (also known as Amoy) on the southeast coast of China reported earlier this week that one of its male fallow deer had suddenly died. As if its death wasn’t already tragic enough, upon conducting an autopsy, workers were surprised to discover the unexpected cause of death, something that could easily have been prevented. Keep reading to learn the unfortunate details.
When you think of China and animals, the first thing to spring to mind is an adorable, large-bellied panda. And then you get a giant, silly grin, because pandas are just straight-up awesome with their black and white fur and ponderous-yet-fluffy way of walking.
Unfortunately, pandas are, obviously, not something most of us get to see every day, which has led many people to color their pets’ hair to be a bit more panda-rific. So, you might be thinking that the puppies pictured above had their fur colored for maximum cuteness–but you’d be wrong! These puppies were born with their panda camouflage!
- Joan Coello
Feb 23, 2014
Life is full of ups and downs, with nice surprises come disappointments. Were you disappointed by anything recently? A Chinese website, Kan Kan Xin Wen Wang, did an online survey to find out the “most disappointing feelings in the world“, and here are the top seven life events that made it into the rankings!
On February 16, horrified onlookers watched as a Chinese man jumped into a bengal tiger enclosure at Chengdu Zoo in Sichuan province, south-west China. The man taunted the two tigers for twenty minutes, offering his flesh to them and asking to be eaten.
Nothing says fun like defacing one of your country’s beloved historical figures. Queen Elizabeth with a lightning bolt across her face à la glam rock band Kiss, George Washington with a Hilter mustache, and whatever it is that’s going on up in here are just a few examples of the lengths people will go to have a little fun with history.
Even Du Fu, often called the greatest Chinese poet of all time, isn’t immune to the idle hands of creative doodlers. Let’s take a look at 18 different Du Fu makeovers by Chinese artists.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Feb 21, 2014
The country of China, including some of its top leaders, can’t get enough of the Netflix drama “House of Cards,” The Washington Post’s William Wan reports.
On Sohu, the Chinese equivalent of Netflix, “House of Cards” has been the No. 1-streamed show since the debut of Season 2 last Friday. Streams of both seasons top Sohu’s rankings, ahead of “The Big Bang Theory.”
And according to Sohu (via the Post), most of China’s 24.5 million views of Season 1 of House of Cards came from government-sector employees and residents of Beijing. The state-run Xinhua News Agency wrote last week that “a large number of government and enterprise executives and opinion leaders also strongly recommend” the show.
- Joan Coello
Feb 20, 2014
In recent years, the things to watch out for while driving on the road aren’t just green and red lights, reckless drivers in the next lane, or traffic police on your tail. Drivers now have to look out for con men who stage fraud accidents in order to rip a few big bucks off of you. Thankfully, we have technology on our side! In-vehicle cameras and the cameras on our mobile phones are great tools that could protect us from such “accidents”. A Chinese driver shows us how!
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing2
- Secrets of the sushi shops: 10 tips and tricks the chain restaurants don’t want you to know3
- Family: Utah man was cosplaying Samurai Champloo when shot, killed by police4
- Anime con aboard aircraft carrier attracts moe warships of all kinds, from the cute to the manly5
- Norwegian rocker with insane vocal range covers anime songs and more【Videos】6
- Stylish new cat café in Asakusa would be nice even without the kitties, is awesome with them7
- These traditional Japanese hairpins may be too beautiful to wear8
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!9
- English-learning smartphone app teaches Japanese students to say “I just took a dump”10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures2
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】3
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing4
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea5
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!6
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy7
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】8
- Family: Utah man was cosplaying Samurai Champloo when shot, killed by police9
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Norwegian rocker with insane vocal range covers anime songs and more【Videos】
- Stylish new cat café in Asakusa would be nice even without the kitties, is awesome with them
- These traditional Japanese hairpins may be too beautiful to wear
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- English-learning smartphone app teaches Japanese students to say “I just took a dump”
- Rule 34 in action: Ryutaro Nonomura’s sobbing and ear-cupping immortalised in adult video parody
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Attack on Titan’s creator estimates manga will end in three years
- Burger King Japan’s black burgers look unbelievably gross in real life
- What your favorite sushi says about your income
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】
- Taiwan’s Gym Queen is the latest to join the youthful-looking moms club