McDonald’s joints all around the world have some of the most interesting items. There’s of course Chicken Curry Rice in Thailand, American vintage burgers in Japan, and ramen at one McDonald’s in the US (of all places!). But we’ve never seen anything quite this fancy at a fast food restaurant anywhere, so we sent one of our reporters to check out the colorful macarons at a McDonald’s in Shanghai.
If Chinese Photoshop troll compilations were movies – a concept we sort of decided to run with – the 10th in the series would certainly be getting kind of ludicrous, with a ridiculous title and themes that no one actually wanted or asked for. While we’re thankfully not up to the 10th in the series (yet – that one will almost certainly need to involve Photoshop trolls in space) we’ve somehow arrived at the seventh compilation, where we find the Chinese Photoshop trolls are starting to get, well, a little bit cocky…
- Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Aug 21, 2014
It’s said that playing online games together fosters teamwork and friendship. That’s often true, and playing games socially is infinitely more fun than playing alone, but one friendship turned sour in China recently when a game of League of Legends went severely awry, ending with one youth taking up a knife and slashing his friend for questioning his competency at the game. Click below for more details on this tragic urban tale.
- Joan Coello
Aug 21, 2014
People who can’t start a meal until they’ve snapped the perfect picture and shared it on Facebook or Instagram, with hashtags, of course. People who walk slower than your grandma in a crowded mall or train station because they’re engaged in some mobile game or have their eyes glued on to some soap opera on their tiny screens. And then there are those who feel the incessant need to check if anyone “liked” their recent status update, or consistently have twenty group chats to reply to. There are so many of such cases these days, I’m sure you know what I’m driving at.
I’m talking about people who are addicted to their smartphones. Apparently some of them get so engrossed in their phones that they can’t walk or board the subway with their own legs.
A woman in China’s Zhejiang Province has been arrested after she entered an ATM vestibule and splashed urine over the machines following the bank’s refusal to process her money transfer, Chinese media has reported.
A short time ago a variety program on Shandong Satellite TV aired a segment wherein they tried to create the “most standard Chinese face” for both men and women. The results of their experiment received a cold response in China online, however, drawing comments such as “both are ugly.”
In the world of advertising and marketing, there is one simple truth: sex sells. And from using car-promoting models to suggestive advertisement placement, woman are usually the ones exploited for the attention of men and their wallets. But one Chinese fast-food stall owner, apparently recognizing the buying power of his female customers, decided instead to hire a super-buff male model to take off his shirt and flip burgers to entice the hungry crowds to the booth. Click below to see pictures of this beefy hamburger salesman and to find out how the astute hiring decision affected the business!
Earlier this month, a group of eleven university students in Beijing got together to hold a small protest. Their mission was not to push for less homework or fewer partying restrictions, but to advocate for something extremely important to their bodily health and overall well-being–better sex education throughout schools in China.
- Joan Coello
Aug 16, 2014
It’s never a good choice to try to drown your sorrows with alcohol when you feel like you’re down on luck. As the saying goes, it never rains but it pours and when you’re down and out, not to mention drunk, there’s a high possibility that shit is going to happen.
Let’s not even get into drunk driving; Taiwanese news site ETToday recently reported a bizarre case of a drunken man who broke into someone’s house, and eventually jumped out of a window from the fifth floor, landing him in the hospital. How exactly did all that come together? Details after the break!
Modeling is a tough business. You need the body, the face, and perhaps the most difficult thing to achieve: the walk. All the top models must combine these three components perfectly. In an industry that is so difficult to break into, a reality TV competition where the winners are whisked off to Italy for a potential professional modeling career could be just the chance an aspiring model is looking for! But these contestants will have to show off more than just their good looks to win this competition. What do these model wannabes have to do to prove their worth for this Chinese TV show? It might just bug some people.
Some people have the worst luck. Like this guy who was just innocently walking down the street when a knife suddenly fell from above and lodged itself right in his skull.
Warning: This post contains images depicting injury and blood.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Aug 13, 2014
Chinese tech company OnePlus is holding a contest requesting that women send in photos of themselves in order to score an invite to purchase its wildly popular phone, the OnePlus One.
As part of the contest, women must either write the OnePlus logo on their body or hold up a piece of paper showing the company’s symbol. Only women are permitted to enter the competition, and the entrant with the most likes on her photo wins an invitation to buy the $300 OnePlus One.
- Joan Coello
Aug 13, 2014
Weddings are one of the biggest events in one’s life, and many would stop at nothing less than perfection for their once-in-a-lifetime (supposedly) wedding photo shoot. Couples spend thousands of dollars on their pre-wedding photo shoots, some even cross oceans to get the perfect backdrop for their memorable shot. But not every couple has the financial ability to drop a bomb on overseas wedding photos taken in France, Hawaii or the Great Wall of China. Want something unique, inexpensive yet meaningful for your wedding photos? Look no further, workplace wedding photos might be a blooming trend.
Lately, wedding photos of civil servants taken at their workplace in their uniforms have been the talk of town among Chinese netizens. Check out these grooms in their smart uniforms and their beautiful brides!
While the dog you owned in your childhood may have been a total idiot that barked at its own farts, super smart dogs aren’t all that uncommon, and the Internet has done a beautiful job of giving us a one-stop shop for viewing all the glorious tricks and people-things canines are capable of.
Some dogs on the Internet are so smart, in fact, it’s hard to tell who is the owner and who is the pet. Such as this jogging man with casually Segway-riding dog that was spotted in China recently.
I thought summers in America were hot, until I moved to Asia and learned firsthand what a hot summer is really like. In Japan, China and other parts of East Asia, the summer can be brutal to the point that people flock to public pools by the thousands, risking other people’s disgusting mud butt and possible drowning by crowd crush just to enjoy a few moments in the tepid water.
But a number of enterprising Chinese college students have apparently figured out a genius workaround: Just put a pool in your own dorm room.
- Joan Coello
Aug 5, 2014
ChinaJoy, the biggest game expo in Asia, finished off its last day on August 3. Boasting over 500 local and global exhibitors this year, including big names such as Tencent, Blizzard and EA, the five-day event was a battlefield for game companies; using their best-selling games, new releases and hundreds of booth babes as their “weapons” to vie for a spot in the limelight.
However, many visitors and cameramen were probably more attracted by the other fierce competition that ran alongside the battle of the game companies – the grand battle of cleavage among the booth babes!
- Casey Baseel
Aug 5, 2014
In a lot of ways, hit anime Love Live seems to be been created with laser precision to strike right at the weak points of Japanese otaku. It’s got a cast filled with high school girls in frilly idol singer outfits who all have their own unique hairstyles and quirks, but are without exception earnest, pure, and devoted to their fans above all else.
So it’s no big surprise that we’ve no seen not only Love Live smartphone cases and shoes go on sale in Japan, but also big-ticket items like sports cars inspired by the franchise. The series isn’t just popular in Japan, though, as the bevy of idols are seeing their popularity rise in China as well, as a Shanghai subway decorated with the show’s characters recently brought fans to their knees in reverence.
- Scott R Dixon
Aug 4, 2014
With an ever-expanding list of banned items and never-ending security lines filled with personnel and machines bent on examining every inch of your body, air travel seems destined to eventually become one giant cavity search. And while you think you are safe from this kind of annoyance when you are on ground-based transportation systems, the Chinese city of Urumqi recently proved that they can make traveling by bus just as terrible when they banned liquids onboard. To enforce this already hated ban, local authorities have assigned at least two security guards at every bus stations along the more than 100 bus routes in the city.
There are all sorts of electrical household appliances designed to make cooking easier these days. Multi-functional microwave ovens, bread makers, noodle makers, you name it. Advertisements make these kitchen gadgets look so easy to use, they tend to make us forget that these machines were created to help people who actually cook. They’re probably not going to turn folks who don’t usually cook (microwaveable food doesn’t count!) into instant chefs.
This might sound crazy, but your washing machine might just be the fool-proof cooking appliance! Not convinced? We weren’t either, until we saw this Chinese guy cook soup with his washing machine!
- Joan Coello
Aug 1, 2014
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Spongebob Squarepants!
As much as I’d like to continue the whole song, we have some amazing art to share! The long-running American hit cartoon series, Spongebob Squarepants, is popular in many countries across the world, including the giant of Asia, China. A Chinese artist recently created some pretty awesome personified illustrations of Spongebob and his friends. If you’re curious to find out what a yellow sponge, a pink starfish or a green plankton would look like as humans, dive in!
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons1
- GIF: Chinese SASUKE contestant’s unexpected fail immortalized in Web’s favorite file format2
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today3
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later4
- “Women who attract chikan, and women who don’t”: The illustrated guide that’s provoking debate5
- Smash & Eat: We try a playful Korean sweet you have to hit with a hammer to enjoy6
- 50 items you can buy in Japan to spruce up your bento lunchbox7
- Gaming culture takes a hit as Sony demos its virtual reality headset with schoolgirl leering sim8
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls9
- Artist creates awesome anime artwork by carefully cutting a single Post-it note 【Photos】10
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons3
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!4
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events5
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan6
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?7
- These photos from the ‘richest village in China’ will positively blow you away8
- Philippine netizens do the makeup transformation meme to mixed results9
- Master drummers are lurking in Japanese game centers10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events7
- We swear we won’t tell anyone if you buy one of these super lifelike love dolls from Japan8
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan9
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】3
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Smash & Eat: We try a playful Korean sweet you have to hit with a hammer to enjoy
- 50 items you can buy in Japan to spruce up your bento lunchbox
- Gaming culture takes a hit as Sony demos its virtual reality headset with schoolgirl leering sim
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls
- Artist creates awesome anime artwork by carefully cutting a single Post-it note 【Photos】
- From Ponyo to Italy: Four delicious ways to improve instant ramen while your water’s boiling
- What is this man painting? You may have to wait until the very last second to find out 【Video】
- Hiroshima begins recovery projects following tragic, deadly landslides
- Genius dishes can be molded freely to hold whatever you want
- Korean Photoshop Troll Trilogy: The shocking conclusion! 【Photos】
- New Sony Cyber-shot: a perfume bottle camera specifically designed for selfies
- This ice cream spoon uses your body heat to get the perfect scoop, costs more than most desserts
- These scarecrows look so human, they belong in an art museum【Photos】