With Apple’s announcement of their new iPhone lineup the burning question on everyone’s lips is – but is it gonna fit in my pocket?! Download and print this handy to-scale model and find out!
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s finally time to announce our Pic of the Week!
It’s that time again, folks: the polls are now open for this week’s Pic of the Week!
Join us after the jump to see our 10 favourite photos and to choose the one that you think most deserves to win.
Sep 8, 2014
The following is a typical scene that many families in Japan will have recently experienced, and probably not for the first time: It’s August 31, the last day of summer vacation and the fall semester is starting in less than 24 hours. The kids who played all month suddenly realize that they have to do 40 pages of kanji and math drills, write a book report for a book they haven’t read, and fill in 30 days’ worth of journal entries–an assignment that they dutifully kept up with for all of the first week of summer break. They clamor for help, and despite the scoldings and I-told-you-so’s, “nice” parents and the more responsible siblings reluctantly pitch in.
Sure, the above isn’t an exemplary approach to avoiding bad grades, but recently an even more dubious method has been getting a lot of attention: online businesses have been offering to do your child’s homework and school projects for a fee! While the homework-by-proxy racket is nothing new, recent media coverage of the growing enterprise has brought to light this questionable practice and its appalling popularity among elementary and junior high school students.
What does this teach, and not teach, future adults? Why are parents taking advantage of these services for their young children? One twisted reason will probably surprise you.
Ever since the 2007 documentary film The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, the world record score for 1980s arcade hit Donkey Kong has been kind of a big deal. For years, the existing record seemed nigh-on unbeatable, with players pouring their hearts, souls, and stacks of quarters into ageing arcade machines in the name of claiming the title for themselves.
But now there’s a new score to beat, and it comes from a relative newcomer, no less.
Anime News Network
Sep 6, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen of das internets, we have a winner!
This week’s contest was the closest yet, with just one percent of the vote between the photos that claimed first and second place. Our Pic of the Week, plus two honourable mentions, await you after the jump.
So, you love to blast your music wherever you go, but you can’t find any headphones fashionable enough to match your wardrobe. While that’s not likely a problem many of us have, someone has found a solution! Chanel–yes, Chanel–will be releasing their newest fashion accessory–headphones–mid-September. And, don’t worry, fashionistas, they are exactly as expensive as you would think they are!
It’s Monday evening here in Japan, and that can mean only one thing – it’s time to vote for our Pic of the Week! Join us after the jump for 10 superb photos taken by our very own readers and to vote for the one you think deserves to be crowned Pic of the Week.
Sep 1, 2014
Recently, a weekend stroll around Tokyo took me to Roppongi, where I stumbled upon a giant replica of Godzilla, emerging waist-up from the grass next to a busy road. What ended up stopping me in my tracks was not the menacing monster with fluorescent blue spikes but the gaggle of girls running around his waist, holding up strange-looking perfume bottles as if to calm the beast with a spray of Chanel No. 5.
What the fashionable young ladies were actually doing came as a bit of a surprise; they were taking photos of Godzilla with iPhones in cases that resembled perfume bottles. It’s the hot new trend in China at the moment, and from the looks of things, we all might be following them soon as Sony has just released a perfume bottle that’s more than a case - it’s an actual Cyber-shot camera.
Aug 30, 2014
Here’s a small but concentrated dose of silliness for those of you who need an afternoon (or morning, or evening) pick-me-up. And it’s a good opportunity to prove that canines can be monarchs of the World Wide Web too!
Did it take a moment for you to realize what’s going on in the photo on the right? No, it’s not another before/after photo of plastic surgery or a sad tale of a dog that auditioned for a Dentastix commercial and failed; it’s what happened when a Japanese Twitterer visited her grandmother’s house with her Pomeranian pup. Reactions ranged from “Cute!” to “Ew!” to “Scary!”, but as a beloved villain with the wicked grin put it, “Let’s put a smile on that face!”
Aug 29, 2014
In the latest issue of long-running UK gaming magazine Edge, industry legend and creator of Super Mario Bros. Shigeru Miyamoto sits down to talk about the direction in which Nintendo is heading. During the interview, which spans several pages and touches upon subjects ranging from upcoming title Splatoon to the lack of young talent at the company, the veteran game designer is quoted as saying that casual gamers are “pathetic” for not wanting to delving and getting the most out of video games.
A handful of gaming news sites immediately leapt on this statement and ran with it, hinting that Nintendo may be about to turn their backs on the very people who made products like the Nintendo DS and Wii the hits they were. But did Miyamoto honestly just diss the casual gaming public? We really don’t think so.
Aug 28, 2014
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is still going strong, thanks to its mix of suspense, physical comedy, and contributions for a worthy cause. Business and entertainment moguls from around the world have participated, and recently even inanimate objects have started taking part with Samsung’s Galaxy S5 smartphone being doused by the Korean conglomerate’s U.K. division.
As per the rules of the challenge, Samsung then exercised its right to pass the dare onto someone else, and it designated rival Apple’s iPhone 5s. A quick comparison of the spec sheets for the two competing phones has some people crying foul at singling out the iPhone 5s, though. Today, we’re offering Samsung a chance to make things right.
Aug 28, 2014
Viewed from afar, Japanese animation may appear to be populated entirely by giant-eyed, squeaky-voice schoolgirls and young men who suffer from frequent nosebleeds. Their plots, too, can seem awfully convoluted at first glance, and so anyone who didn’t grow up with anime or have the chance to catch popular series when they were just getting started may feel completely out of their depth when trying to get into it.
If you’re the kind of person who, like me, despite being into Japan and Asia, never really understood what all the fuss was about anime, or who would like to give this strange medium a chance but doesn’t know where to start, then we have a special treat for you today: no fewer than five anime recommendations from members of our very own writing staff, guaranteed to be easy for even anime-skeptics to get into. Who knows, these might just be the gateway shows you’ve been looking for!
Babies and gentlephlegm, noise and churls, it’s time to announce the winner of our weekly photo contest!
This week, we mixed things up a little by asking you, our dear readers, to vote for which of our 10 favourite photos you thought most deserved to be crowned Pic of the Week, and the results are in! Join us after the jump for our overall winner and two very special mentions!
After saving global gold prices in 2013, Chinese dama, or middle-aged women, have found another claim to fame: Influencing world fashion trends.
While most think of going to the beach as an excuse to wear as little as possible, many of these women prefer to stay covered up. But don’t start calling them prudes, since, for them, it’s a matter of practicality and beauty!
File this one under things we hope don’t fall into the wrong hands: Those Women Only train cars in Japan aren’t actually enforceable under the law.
All foreign men in Japan can recount their first harrowing experience of obliviously stepping onto a train, only to find that literally every single other passenger was a woman. There’s a moment of confusion and, if you’re lucky, a good Samaritan politely explaining that wieners don’t belong here, followed by the terrible realization that you’ve broken not only an official rule set forth by the train company but also an unwritten social rule, which is kind of almost worse. But, from here on out, you can rest assured that even though you’re committing a social taboo, you’re not breaking any laws!
Aug 27, 2014
Dr. Timothy Mousseau, professor of Biological Sciences at the University of South Carolina and researcher for the Chernobyl and Fukushima Research Initiative, presented new findings to the International Ornithological Congress in Tokyo last week that suggest radiation contamination around Fukushima Daiichi, even at low levels, is negatively impacting biodiversity and wildlife populations.
Aug 26, 2014
As of August 25, 2014, the ALS Ice Bucket Donations have reached a whopping US$70.2 million. The challenge has made it across the globe, with participants ranging from Benedict Cumberbatch to Kumamon. While the challenge is raising awareness of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), new participants are finding their own ways to make the challenge more interesting.
One Korean-American rock band has challenged the leaders of three Asian countries to pick up that bucket and do their part to raise awareness and money for the neurodegenerative disease.
Aug 26, 2014
If you’re the kind of person who likes video games and isn’t dead inside, chances are you’re looking forward to Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, due to release later this year. The comic fighting game’s creators have been teasing us for what feels like decades now by slowly revealing which characters will be available to play as, talking of trimming the fat while simultaneously revealing what appears to be every Nintendo character under the sun.
If the following “leaked” screenshots and video are to be believed, however, Nintendo’s character roster-teasing days are about to come to an abrupt end.
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Why Japanese doesn’t need swear words2
- Cupcakes almost too beautiful to eat! Adding a Japanese touch to cake decorating3
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation4
- Amazon goes nuts with the packaging as they ship us nine cardboard boxes…packed in six more?!5
- You guys, Donut Selfies are totally the next big thing6
- More ways to magically trap a cat (or dogs who think they’re cats)【Photos】7
- 11 predictions Japanese people made hundreds of years ago about the future8
- Get inspired by these 700-year-old words from a Japanese monk9
- How pure of mind are you? Take a look at this image and find out!10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- Why Japanese doesn’t need swear words4
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men5
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results6
- Chinese woman in no mood to have SUV towed shows she has towing capacity too 【Video】7
- Gorgeous Taiwanese woman recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her China travels8
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized9
- Attack of the Clones: Finalists in this year’s Miss Korea contest once again looking eerily alike10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- You guys, Donut Selfies are totally the next big thing
- More ways to magically trap a cat (or dogs who think they’re cats)【Photos】
- 11 predictions Japanese people made hundreds of years ago about the future
- Get inspired by these 700-year-old words from a Japanese monk
- How pure of mind are you? Take a look at this image and find out!
- Chinese table tennis champ stripped of $45k prize after emotional outburst【Video】
- Japan’s Kizuro Village is a hidden natural beauty and feng shui power spot
- Compulsory manga? Top Taiwanese university’s manga course has a waitlist of thousands
- Panasonic may change the world with upcoming product…SAND!
- Would you eat “nuclear soup”? Japanese artists serve broth made with Fukushima-grown vegetables
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!
- Mononome gives candy jars personalities, breathes life into any inanimate object