Meet YouTuber Smoukahontas, the girl who became an internet star in a matter of days with her video “What Language Sound Like To Foreigners”. In it, the bespectacled brunette runs through a long list of languages from Arabic to Japanese, blabbering nonsense word combinations in genuinely impressive accents, resulting in something that sounds to the untrained ear just like the real thing.
Mar 12, 2014
We’re sure many PlayStation fans in Japan have been happily playing away on their newly acquired consoles since the long-awaited launch of the new PlayStation 4 here last month. But electronic appliances and gadgets can sometimes be awfully difficult to coordinate with the rest of your interior decor, can’t they?
If that’s been a concern for you, here’s something from German wood product manufacturer balolo that not only looks lovely but also may help your PS4 blend more smoothly into the setting of your room — a PlayStation 4 cover made from natural high-quality wood!
Though Japan is well known for its abundance of large-eyed anime girls and unique otaku culture, the country is also world-renowned for its technology sector. One of Japan’s most active technology organizations is, of course, JAXA, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, which has sent numerous satellites and probes into the heavens. However, aside from a promotional video released last year, we have to admit that the thought of combining space and anything from otaku culture, like moe maids, never even crossed our minds.
Fortunately, there are people out there a bit more creativity than us! We were recently contacted by a reader who wanted to share his unique figure collection with RocketNews24. While there are many folks around the world who collect maid figures, we’ve never see anyone who could describe their collection with these two little words: “Space maids!
- Preston Phro
Mar 11, 2014
Though we usually think about beautiful places as being full of nature or exquisitely crafted and cared for, sometimes beauty can be found in the derelict remains of civilization. Or ghosts! Beauty or ghosts, and with the pictures we recently found online, we’re honestly not sure which you’d be more likely to discover!
Here are nine of the most spooky-but-gorgeous abandoned places around the world!
- Anime News Network
Mar 11, 2014
There’s nothing worse than having to take a 12 hour plane ride before getting to your relaxing exotic vacation. That is, unless your flight is delayed. Then it turns into a nightmarish trudge to your final destination, with missed connecting flights and more pulled hairs than you care to lose. As the saying goes, “It’s not the destination, but the journey” and if that’s true, you’re sure to have the most enjoyable trip on Flightstats.com‘s list of the top ten airlines that get you to your destination on time. Japan Airlines leads the pack with an amazing 93 percent on-time departure rate. Take a look at the full list and choose your airline accordingly.
How often do you wash your denim jeans? Some people, including famous fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger, say you should never wash them, while others are absolutely grossed out by the thought of wearing a pair of bacteria-loaded pants for months on end. Not to mention, some of these bacteria cause odors that will make people think you just climbed out of a dumpster.
What should you do if you wish to keep your favorite jeans broken in, while ensuring that they don’t carry some hideous stench? You should read on.
Arm yourself with this replica holster, modeled after the one used by NERV’s Misato.
Mar 6, 2014
Everyone loves Engrish, and everyone enjoys lampooning the machines that create it and the silly humans who wear it.
But is it as funny when the tables are turned? What happens when non-Japanese deck themselves out in clothing with unintelligible characters on it, only to have the true meaning outed on the web for all to see?
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks to the magic of rotating spheres in space and flaming balls of gas in just the right position it’s now Thursday afternoon in Japan and we’re already getting excited for the weekend. But if Friday still feels a long way off, or if you’re on the opposite side of the world where it’s still technically Hump Day, then perhaps this collection of cute/pitiable GIFs from Japanese cat site Nekomemo will cheer you up.
Not a day goes by without Japanese school children hearing the terms globalization (グロバール化) or internationalization (国際化), and why it’s so important for their future careers. In fact, the whole country seems to be swept up in a fervor of these two words. But do Japanese people really understand the meanings of them, or are the terms just being used as catchphrases?
Enter Austin, an international student who has been living in Japan since 2012. Last week he posted a thought-provoking piece called “Some Thoughts – And Doubts – About Japan’s Internationalization” on Tofugu, a Japanese language and culture blog. The piece has circulated around the Internet, and was even picked up and summarized in Japanese by popular Japanese blogger Madame Riri. In it, Austin addresses how while Japan may be making efforts to globalize on the surface, it still lacks something on a deeper level that is preventing it from becoming truly internationalized. Join the debate after we take look at some of his thoughts below.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 6, 2014
Just traded in your Xbox 360 for a shiny new PS4 or Xbox One? Want to clear some clutter under your TV set? Proud of your gamerscore and want the world to know that you eat, sleep and breathe video games? Well if you’re a pet owner we’ve just the thing! Instructables user mikeasaurus has come up with a novel use for an old Xbox 360 controller – turning it into a dog leash, which as well as having multiple fire buttons and twin analogue sticks, even comes with a built-in poop bag dispenser.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 4, 2014
YouTuber and full-time Japan fan Sharla is back this week with a brand new video. After bringing us exploding condom ice cream and giving us a peek inside one of Japan’s typical love hotels, she’s currently back in her native Canada and just for kicks decided to try out a few English loan words that appear in the Japanese language on her non-Japanese-speaking friend.
As we’re about to see, despite the majority of these words originally coming from English, once pumped through the Japanese lexicon and read back to a native English speaker they make almost zero sense. The full, laugh-out-loud video after the jump.
- Joan Coello
Mar 4, 2014
Call me materialistic, but one of the biggest desires I’ve had since I was a teen is to be rich. But to be absolutely honest, I’m so horribly bad with numbers, I’m not even sure how many zeroes are there in a billion, much less a trillion. So when Asia’s wealthiest man, Ka-shing Li, said that the media is “underestimating” his net worth at US$32 billion, the only thing on my mind was, “Wait, how many zeroes is that again?”.
So, how much is Ka-shing Li really worth? Take a guess, or not, since you know we’ll tell you anyway.
It’s a well-known fact that cats think they’re cleverer than us. Even when it comes to playing one of our popular childhood games, hide-and-seek, cats think they’ve got us beat. This collection of hilarious photos shows that cats should really come down off their proverbial high horses and take a lesson or two from the human world because when it comes to hiding, these kitty cats really have no idea. Ten points for trying, especially with their creative and body-defying efforts, but no points for hiding because when it comes to hiding, peek-a-boo we see you!
From fierce legends to masculine superheroes, a lot has been said about Lego and its gendered marketing to boys. Now it seems the heroes on the more feminine side of the scale are finally getting a look-in, with the new Disney Princess line set to hit stores in Japan from March 7. We take a look at Cinderella, Rapunzel, Ariel and Merida in impressive Lego form and check out their adorable homes and accessories. These goodies will have your inner child squealing with delight!
You’re back! Lovely to see you. Now shut up and face the corner.
Yes, that’s right boys and girls, it’s time for another multiple choice quiz where we throw random bizarre questions at you and see how much you learned this week about news from Japan and Asia. Don’t dilly-dally now; Hitler, Donald Trump’s hair, and a manga about love eggs are all waiting for you after the jump!
- Philip Kendall
Feb 28, 2014
Despite having a number of genuinely exciting events, the Winter Olympics is also home to a couple of head-scratchers (I watched the men’s slalom with the Wikipedia entry open trying to work out why some skiers were incurring penalties), and some can get kind of repetitive if watched for more than a few minutes at a time. One event I did enjoy watching, though, was the speed skating; those dudes zip around that track–with blades on their feet–at speeds that would probably make me vomit.
But imagine how much more exciting that event would be if participants had access to the full arsenal of weapon items from Nintendo’s Mario Kart racing games? As this hilarious video shows, with some green shells, a handful of banana skins, and the occasional competitor-shrinking lightning bolt, this event could be so much more interesting.
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life2
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend3
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan4
- REVIEW: Sony’s new tablet is thinner and lighter than the iPad Air, and Android fans will love it5
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious6
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together7
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit8
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like9
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends6
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act7
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love8
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend9
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!
- Enjoy the ambiance of Okinawa’s aptly named Cave Cafe (plus “chest hair of the ancients”!)
- Japanese pig farmer shows the world how pigs should be treated
- Two months is a lifetime: Cancer-stricken 22-year-old gets married in the hospital
- The Five Japanese Streets That People of Japan Most Want to Visit
- Those freaky Hello Kitty contact lenses are back, and this time she brought friends!
- Kim Jong-un’s haircut takes over the world
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea