Cosplay, also known as costume-play, is often described as wearing costumes from fictional works (especially anime and manga!). Cosplay is enjoyed all over the world, especially at anime conventions. With HUGE conventions such as Anime Expo and Comic Con in Southern California, Japan Expo in France, and Otakon in Maryland all happening this month, people often call July “Convention Season”.
- KK Miller
Jul 16, 2014
When you think of Japan, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Perhaps, it’s “sushi”, the delicious combination of rice and various aquatic delicacies. Or maybe you think of “ninja”, those fierce warriors of the past that devastated more than a few rulers in their prime. Of course, it might be “anime”. After all, many people become interested in Japan because they want to see and know more about these big-eyed animated characters. If you thought of any of those words, you have to check out the newest anime from Daisuki TV, titled Sushi Ninja!
Jul 16, 2014
Back in May, we reported to you about how we would be getting our first Japanese Disney hero in the upcoming film Big Hero 6 based on the Marvel comic of the same title. Since then, we’ve found out that the film will be titled Baymax in Japan, after the protagonist Hiro Hamada’s white fluffy companion robot. We’ve also learned from a recent announcement that Disney will be getting involved in a highly unique crossover for Big Hero 6 that’s never been done one with any of their other movies before — in advance of the movie release, Big Hero 6 will be serialized as a manga here in Japan starting in the beginning of next month, and there will even be a prequel manga published as well! Now, that’s a piece of news we’re certainly excited to hear!
Since Mario and his younger, taller, skinnier brother, Luigi, first joined us in the mid 80s, there have been scores of games, merchandise, an awkward but awesome TV show (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!) and a truly terrible live-action movie, amongst other things. They are, quite possibly, the most famous brothers in the world, so it’s no surprise that a number of fan-made videos featuring the world of Super Mario have been made. One such creative parody has transported Mario and his friends and enemies from Smash Bros. into a war-torn world that obviously only a pair of plumbers can save. Hold on to your mustaches people…the complete series of “Mario Warfare” has been uploaded to YouTube.
On Saturday night, July 12, you may have noticed that the moon looked unusually large.
That’s because it was the “supermoon,” which happens when two phenomenon occur at the same time: the full moon and the “perigee moon.” The perigee moon is when the moon passes closest to earth causing it to look about 14% larger and 30% brighter than usual. It looks even larger when it hangs low over the horizon, as it does when it is rising, for reasons scientists can’t completely explain.
Don’t worry if you missed it though. You can catch another supermoon on August 10 and September 9.
Until then, check out our favorite pictures from this past weekend below:
Shibuya Crossing is the busiest scramble crossing in the world, with 3,000 pedestrians crossing at once during peak times and recognized internationally thanks to prominent shots in films such as Lost in Translation. So what better place to celebrate your team’s win in the World Cup? You’re sure to attract some attention, even if it’s literally just you and a flag…
- Krista Rogers
Jul 14, 2014
The cleaning crews who maintain Japan’s high-speed bullet trains have a mere seven minutes to make the interior of the train spotlessly clean for its next journey. Those seven minutes are carefully divided into different tasks to make sure everything gets done in the allotted time.
Another curious detail people often notice about these cleaners is the way they bow as trains are entering and exiting the station. While this act is generally thought to be a respectful gesture, the intended recipient of the bowing seems to be a matter of great debate, with plenty of conflicting opinions out there, even among the Japanese!
Another World Cup has come and gone, and diehard soccer fans will have to wait another four years until their national teams will have another chance for glory. While many of the successful teams in the tournament depended heavily on star players such as Argentina’s Messi or Portugal’s Ronaldo, it’s undeniable that the all-around teamwork of Germany was instrumental in their first-place finish. Another possible contributing factor to their victory was…sex?!
As both English and Japanese-language news agencies have reported, all the teams participating in the Cup had different policies regarding their players and sexual intercourse during the tournament. Furthermore, all of the teams that advanced to the quarterfinals had policies that allowed sex, while all of the teams which specifically forbade sex during the tournament were eliminated in the group stage or the round of 16.
Funnily enough, the German team was one of the groups that allowed its players to engage in some adult fun during down time…
Brazil’s loss to Germany in the World Cup was, without a doubt, some of the biggest news of the week. Even non-soccer fans have heard about–and thrived on the Schadenfreude of–the massive blow out. It’s probably fair to say that, while not the biggest loss in World Cup history, it will likely be the most memorable of this tournament, and after losing to the Netherlands earlier today there’s even less for the country to celebrate.
And here to make sure that no one will ever forget about the horrible beating that Brazil faced is the Internet and tons of memes to make you laugh and cry simultaneously!
It is not uncommon to hear that many people don’t like bugs. Those tiny, many-legged creatures are the source of our worst nightmares. Robots, on the other hand, are fantastic. Whether they come to us as Furby-sized companions or giant robot protector of the Earth Gundams, they amuse and entertain us to no end. So when we heard of the open source project combining insect-like parts and robotics, we timidly decided to check it out.
After topping the Japanese box office for 16 weekends in a row, Disney’s Frozen can add one more feat — its very own PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 4 Frozen Limited Edition takes the standard jet black console with a 500GB hard drive and adds a Frozen laser-etched hard drive bay cover with the sisters Elsa and Anna.
Every gamer knows that good video game music can make or break a game. This is especially the case in RPGs where players spend a lot of time walking across the world; those light-hearted melodies accompany you as you perform the often tedious task of moving from town to town. Background music is also immensely important to platformers like Super Mario and Sonic. That music better be catchy because you are going to be hearing it again and again when you keep missing that third jump off the floating platform!
RocketNews24 has brought you the video game a-cappella styles of Smooth McGroove before. Well it’s been almost a year since then, what has he and his super chill cat been up to?! Among other things, turns out he’s been traveling through Kanto and the world of Pokémon!
- Casey Baseel
Jul 10, 2014
I love Tokyo’s awesome, full-scale statue of Gundam as much as anybody. I try to at least stop by and say hello to Japan’s most famous giant robot whenever I’m in Odaiba, and when time permits, I’m happy to sip a beer or munch on a pretzel from the adjacent shopping center as I stare up at the 18-meter (59-foot) tall mecha.
As I mentioned before, though, it has always seemed a little ironic that the monument is stationary. After all, the series is called Mobile Suit Gundam. Shouldn’t he be moving?
Actually, in a few years, he just might.
- KK Miller
Jul 9, 2014
In Japan it is not uncommon to be standing outside a restaurant, drooling over what you think are actual dishes made in the kitchen, when you remember that they’re just pieces of plastic. At times these plastic dishes look so real that you wonder whether the restaurant really did put plates of its food in the window, but more often than not it’s simply that the person who made them is genuinely skilled.
if you’ve never see this fake plastic food with your own eyes, it may be hard to imagine the uncanny feeling it can create. But you might get an idea of what it’s like when I tell you that the photo of Angelina Jolie as Maleficent up there is in fact a painted doll.
We tracked down the creator of this incredible work online and have a bunch of photos after the jump that you really have to see.
Super Mario Bros. is arguably one of the greatest games in the history of pixels moving around on-screen–if nothing else, it has the kind of sales that would make anyone sit up and pay attention. And with fans from around the world, it’s hardly surprising that the game has been played nearly to perfection. At this point, Mario may be almost as famous as Mickey Mouse–but there are probably still a few things you don’t know about the plumber and the worlds he’s adventured through.
In any game, there are bound to be easter eggs hidden somewhere by bored programmers and wily designers, but Mario practically explodes with them. Here are some of our favorite Mario trivia facts; see how much you know!
Apologies for the headaches the above GIF may induce but it’s an interesting little example of not completely known human biology and currently all over the internet here in Japan. If it’s not spinning now then just click on the image to start. Once the animation gets into full swing you should be able to see some colors flickering around with those black lines.
Now, what if I told you that other people see different colors than those you do? Moreover, what if I told your there aren’t any colors at all, and it’s just your mind playing tricks on you?
Before you go shoving a pencil in your ear to punish your brain for such trickery, let’s take a moment to see what’s going on here.
It’s 1987. You’re looking awesome in your oversized Michael Jackson “Bad” t-shirt as you slot a chunky, grey game cartridge into your NES console. But instead of the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt title screen, all you see is a jumbled-up mess of an image that looks like an 8-bit Picasso. What do you do? The same thing everyone did – you take the game cartridge out, blow into it, and put it back in. Lo, and behold: this time the game loads perfectly and you can squish goombas or shoot ducks to your heart’s content.
But in the pre-internet age, how did we all “know” to blow into cartridges? And like rubbing the magnetic strip on a credit card or shaking a Polaroid photo, why did we keep doing it even when product manufacturers and scientists insisted that it didn’t work and could actually cause damage? Joe Hanson, biologist and author of the popular science blog It’s Okay To Be Smart, offers up some answers in a neat YouTube video asking just that.
Do you know what we love at RocketNews24? Our favorite Saturday morning cartoon themes re-imagined in different musical styles! There’s nothing like kicking back and hitting the ol’ nostalgia button and listening to a song in a way you never imagined possible. Well, just in time for the new Sailor Moon reboot, Sailor Moon Crystal, we’ve got a version of the ever popular “Moonlight Legend” that is going to Marty McFly you back to the 90s!
- Philip Kendall
Jul 7, 2014
In the latest episode of their popular “React” series, YouTubers The Fine Bros decided to give their group of tech-savvy kids none other than an original Nintendo Game Boy to see what they’d make of it. As you might expect, what with the portable console now being roughly 25 years old, many of the kids had absolutely no idea what it was, nor even how to turn the thing on.
So join us after the jump to see little kids fumbling to insert game cartridges, failing to find the power switch and saying things like “You have to actually press buttons” and “I kinda feel sad for the people in the past.”
When traveling, one of the absolute most important questions you need to be able to ask is: “Can I have more beer?” The next most important question is: “Where is the toilet?” Of course, sometimes there’s no one around to ask or you’re simply too busy dancing in place to think of the words. Fortunately, toilet signs exist–you wouldn’t want to walk into a closet thinking it was the water closet after all.
Though we don’t usually think of toilets as places for fun, we have to say we appreciate it when folks take a little time to spice up everyday activities like making pancakes or taking a wee. So here’s some of the best toilet signs from around the planet!
- Japanese national anthem delights foreigners, Japanese commenters have no idea why1
- Survey reveals chance of marrying your first love in Japan, other romantic probabilities2
- From Kyoto: The bicycle you can ride while wearing a kimono3
- Use your rice cooker to bake delicious cinnamon honey apples4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Beautiful Toms: The manliest ladies in Thailand6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- Queen Serenity negligee and pajama uniforms for core Senshi set to join Sailor Moon lingerie8
- Brew a gallon of homemade sake with this DIY kit9
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- The Boobie Squeezing Simulator: Oculus Rift at its creepiest5
- Wife gets revenge on pervy husband with equally NSFW bento6
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- 【TBT】The five Japanese streets that people of Japan most want to visit9
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】4
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons5
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady6
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】7
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!8
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years9
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Beautiful Toms: The manliest ladies in Thailand
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Queen Serenity negligee and pajama uniforms for core Senshi set to join Sailor Moon lingerie
- Brew a gallon of homemade sake with this DIY kit
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】
- 【TBT】The Lowdown on Japan’s Cosplay Industry
- Sony really, really wants you to buy an Xperia smartphone 【Tokyo Game Show】
- SoftBank users in Japan able to roam all the way to the USA and pay the same rates
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star
- Pins, wire and crosses: How China’s military police prepare for parades
- Civil servant suing Fukuoka over employee drinking ban, asking for one yen in compensation
- Welcome to Tokyo Psycho Break Show 2014! 【Tokyo Game Show】
- The Boobie Squeezing Simulator: Oculus Rift at its creepiest