As winter grows deeper and colder, the bed is one of our safe havens of warmth and comfort. The same can be said for our feline companions that snuggle into bed with us to seek refuge from the winter chill. As they cuddle up to our warm bodies the cats morph into various and interesting positions. Have you experienced the same with your own cat? Check out these adorable pictures and compare!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 20, 2013
“Aww, are you two twins?” “No, that’s my mom!” Though this conversation may not be heard often, popular Chinese website, Weibo, has proven it surely must take place. The site has created a contest to find the hottest mom in China and the applicants are impressive. MILF jokes aside, these women are seriously attractive and in some cases it’s hard to tell the difference between mother and daughter.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 20, 2013
Guess what, guys? It’s finally Friday!! Well, it is if you’re in Japan where this quite distraught-looking feline lives.
After reading the title “I made a cardboard box house for my cat” alongside which these tragically cute photos were shared, one would perhaps expect to see some kind of cute corrugated structure with a feline happily purring away inside or on top of. Having seen the finished product, however, we bet this cat is thinking of taking legal action on the grounds of false advertising…
Many of us have an impression that Japanese girls are slim and petite (which many of them really are), but one of the sad truths behind their stick-thin figures is a rather serious case of discrimination from society. While voluptuous women are popular in certain parts of the world, being even slightly chubby (not obese) is a big no-no in Japan and chubby girls often get called “debu” (fatso) online and sometimes to their face.
But recently, a new nickname for such chubby ladies has started trending among Japanese netizens, which hopefully will change the attitudes people have towards them. Behold, the rise of the “marshmallow girls”!
It’s almost the end of 2013 and that means it’s time to sit back and reflect on the events of this past year. Was it a good one for you, filled with PS4s and all-you-can-eat Whoppers? Or are you anxious to get on with the year of the horse? Whatever 2013 looked like for you and no matter where you are located in the world, we’re sure you spent a good portion of your time on YouTube. So why not ring in the new year by watching the top 10 most popular YouTube videos in Japan during 2013.
- Master Blaster
Dec 19, 2013
We often like to cover the more absurd things that get put up for bid on Yahoo! Auction Japan, but this time something has come up that may be of genuine interest to either Lady Gaga or Hello Kitty fans. If you happen to be a fan of both then this is downright priceless.
Currently an extremely limited edition Hello Kitty doll is the subject of fierce bidding. This Hello Kitty is done up in fashion inspired by one of the biggest musicians in the world today, Lady Gaga.
- Master Blaster
Dec 18, 2013
Naver Corporation’s Line has been steadily becoming a juggernaut of smartphone apps in recent months. Starting out as a mild-mannered free text and voice chatting application, it has since expanded into a drawing app, games, and even a recently launched Q&A service.
Now, the company’s free camera app has hit the scene and is causing a bit of a stir for its rumored ability to enhance anyone’s beauty. Our Japanese writer GO, who’s always looking for ways to improve his already stunning features, took it out for a spin.
It seems like you can make almost anything out of Legos, including your favorite characters. Sure, there are kits that come with instructions, but making a Lego figure using just your imagination is so satisfying and really impressive. We recently showed you Robot Lego Pokemon. This time, please enjoy 11 different characters from Japanese video games and anime all made out of tiny plastic bricks.
- Master Blaster
Dec 18, 2013
In 2007 the Selenological and Engineering Explorer (SELENE) was launched by what is now known as the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). Its mission was to orbit the Earth’s moon and gather information about its terrain.
The explorer was nicknamed, Kaguya, after a character from the Japanese folktale, The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter which was recently remade as a Studio Ghibli feature film, Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. In a nicely timed announcement with hype from the movie, the Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI) has released a high-res 3D map of our moon that can be viewed from the comfort of your own browser.
While dogs are also popular in Japan, many pet lovers here, perhaps due to the small size of homes, choose a cat for their animal companionship fix.
Although the gap between the number of pet cats and dogs isn’t particularly wide here, cats seem to hold a much stronger fascination for Internet users than their canine counterparts. The LOL Cats phenomenon may not have spread to Japan yet, but that doesn’t mean the country’s netizens aren’t constantly buzzing about their kitties, and today we share some of their feline talking points with you.
One day while I was playing Pokémon in my parent’s basement, my uncle Sam came down and asked me to help him. He handed me a Womédex (a smartphone loaded with online dating apps) and a set of Woméballs (tennis balls painted red and white) and told me it was time to catch one of these magical creatures for my very own.
Luckily, Trisha was kind enough not to press charges after I threw a tennis ball at her head inside a Starbucks during our first date, but my quest has so far still been left unfulfilled. Thankfully, I found something more suitable for catching high-level Womémon like Trish being sold online by a talented jeweler named Paul Michael.
If you happen to watch a lot of anime or read manga that features tough guys, there’s almost invariably a scene in which the tough guy is leaning over someone else, pressing them against a wall, his hand slammed up on it. It’s a great visual since it simultaneously looks cool and helps establish how much of a badass the guy is supposed to be.
This pose is called, in Japanese Internet speak, “kabe-don,” with “kabe” meaning “wall” and “don” being the sound of someone hitting a hard object–like a wall.
No one ever really talks about hedgehogs anymore. Sure, there was Sonic, but after his video game debut back in 1991, little has been said about the roly poly spike balls. That is until now. Thanks to Tokyo-based photographer, Shota Tsukamoto, and his pet hedgehog, Darcy, hedgehogs are taking center stage on the Internet. This self-named “hedgehographer” shows us there’s more to hedgehogs than being adorable.
Nature is just…weird. There are no two ways about it: once you get out of the “normal” human areas of habitation, nature turns out to be absolutely freaky. And nowhere is it more bizarre, baffling, and unsettling than in the ocean.
Case in point, the above photo is entirely safe for work–but only if your job is in a nightmare factory. Click below to see exactly what this monstrosity is. Just don’t blame us if you don’t sleep or enjoy your dinner tonight.
It’s Monday again and you know what that means! Your Monday Kickstart video is here to get you going through another week.
This week, we found a cute cat that seems more interested in lounging around being a kitty than living up to his bushy lion mane.
In the important world of Internet hierarchy, the battle between cats and dogs for the title of cutest animal is a fierce one. But someone must have told the dogs that they are losing because there are some canines out there with some inferiority issues so severe that they become frozen with fear at the mere sight of a cat. Japanese netizens are feeling nothing but pity after seeing a video of dogs, many of whom are much larger than their feline foe, timidly trying to tip-toe past a scowling cat.
Bessatu Margaret, a spin-off of Margaret, a manga magazine for girls, is coming up on its 50th year of publication and the astounding cover of superstar characters for their special tribute has just seen the light of day. Featuring work by artists from Shonen Jump, Young Jump, and more, it’s a must-see for any manga fan!
Legos make everything better. And when those little plastic bricks are used to make some of our favorite Pokemon, the coolness goes well over 9,000. Let’s take a closer look at this awesome engineering, including a peek inside the boardable mecha-type lego Pokemon!
With the end of this year fast approaching, we now enter the season of reflection for 2013 via ranking lists. In these last fleeting days let’s take a moment to see which albums, apps, shoes, books, and cockroach traps Japanese shoppers flocked to buy online in the largest numbers. Perhaps then we can form a clearer picture of what life in Japan was like for this two-thousand thirteenth year of our lord.
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old girl to raise her to be his “ideal girl”1
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide2
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!3
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant4
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex5
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman6
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】7
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site8
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea9
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease6
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results
- Fashion advice – Almost half of Japanese women say they don’t like guys wearing tank tops