It’s been quite a few years since director Mamoru Hosoda’s widely acclaimed animated movie Summer Wars was released, but fans of the film can experience it again in a new way – by turning Twitter into the virtual world of OZ from the movie.
Feb 10, 2015
Every now and again, we stumble across a dessert recipe that’s so simple and tasty, it almost feels like we’ve discovered some sort of hidden secret that man wasn’t meant to know. Last year, we found out that instead of making pancakes one at a time, we could just make one huge one in a rice cooker, sprinkle in some green tea powder, and have a dessert that looks and tastes great with no fuss at all.
But what if you prefer chilled desserts to hotcakes? No problem. We recently tried a recipe for a frozen marshmallow dessert that may or may not technically be ice cream, but amazingly creates something that tastes even better from just two ingredients, and takes almost as few steps to make.
Feb 9, 2015
If you’re looking for a new kimono for spring, look no more! Your search for the coolest (and shiniest) kimonos on the planet is now complete. Though you may have a hard time wearing it for more than a few minutes–these kimono are made of nothing but metal!
Feb 9, 2015
Even if you’ve never owned a wooden drawing mannequin, we’re pretty sure you’ve seen one before. These figures with movable limbs are generally used as refrence tools for drawing the human form and poses, but they can be surprisingly useful when it comes to decluttering and organizing your desk too! Check out what these Twitter users have been using their drawing mannequins for!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 8, 2015
When we’re kids, we usually don’t realize how much love and support our parents give to us; they’re just being mom or dad. It’s only until we grow up that we appreciate and are able to recognize the many things they sacrifice for our well-being.
A commercial from MetLife Hong Kong featuring the heartfelt letter of a loving daughter highlights one particularly large sacrifice her father makes every day…and it’s sure to bring you to tears.
Our friends over at Anime News Network recently previewed a cover of next week’s Young Jump magazine, which will announce the plans for a live-action film based on the hit sci-fi manga Terra Formars.
Although details are scant at the moment the one juicy tidbit is that Takashi Miike, arguably the most prolific director to walk the earth, has signed on.
Feb 5, 2015
They probably told him it couldn’t be done. They said there wasn’t enough resin in the world. Not enough time in the day. No room big enough. Only a Super Saiyan or someone with all the Dragon Balls could possibly build such a thing in the span of a lifetime.
But Dragon Ball Z fan Juanpe, of the Spanish municipality of Jerez de la Frontera, knew it had to be done. He knew the world deserved a gigantic diorama, the size of an entire bedroom, of all the Dragon Ball Z characters re-enacting one of the series’ most famous animated battles in minute detail. And he knew he was the hero to do it.
Although coffee and gelatin aren’t typically associated with Japanese cuisine, the popular dessert called “coffee jelly” was actually created in Japan during the Taisho period (That’s over 100 years ago!). As you might expect, the dessert consists of gelatin that has been flavored with black coffee and sugar.
Curious culinarians abroad are in luck! The dog/human chef duo over at YouTube channel Cooking with Dog show us just how easy it is to make this delicious Japanese treat at home.
Feb 5, 2015
While the main Final Fantasy series went multi-platform with Final Fantasy XIII, most people still tend to think of Square Enix’s role playing franchise as a standard-bearer for Sony’s PlayStation consoles. Likewise, The Legend of Zelda has had the throne of fantasy-themed video games for Nintendo’s home consoles all to itself since Final Fantasy VII jumped ship for the original PlayStation back in 1997.
But just because Final Fantasy and Zelda act as figurative haymakers between Sony and Nintendo in terms of their competition for gamers’ hard-earned cash, that doesn’t mean the gamers themselves can’t enjoy both extremely polished series. One such equal-opportunity virtual adventurer is artist Shattered-Earth, whose taken the iconic logos of four Final Fantasy sequels, but recast them with the cast of The Legend of Zelda.
We see a lot of unusual things here at RocketNews24, coming in all shapes and sizes, but there is always a little squeal in our hearts when we find a miniature version of…anything. We’ve talked about mini-bonsai, mini-theater seats, mini-books, mini ninja houses, and of course the hamster that tends his own tiny bar. But none of these mini-parties are enough; there needs to be some mini-food! Better yet, how about some tiny food made with real ingredients! It’s time to break out your miniature kitchen sets!
If you’re as addicted to your phone as we are, there’s a good chance you can draw 95 percent of the emoji you know with your eyes closed. Much to the chagrin of high school English teachers everywhere, it can sometimes seem that half of our communication is taken up by the colorful little faces. And it’s understandable–they can express quite a bit!
But thanks to a new site, anyone can freely combine emoji for a hundred times more expressiveness. That’s exactly what Kazuki Takakura, art director for a Tokyo theatre company, did–and the results are nothing short of spectacular! And slightly nightmarish.
Feb 4, 2015
For some reason, the Japanese internet just loves polling its readers about a variety of (often mundane) topics in the form of surveys, polls, and other data collection methods. One of the biggest themes revolves around international perceptions of Japan, particularly in the realms of dating and relationships, as our site has featured multiple times in the past.
According to the latest poll conducted in a joint effort between Omron Healthcare Co., Ltd. and Wacoal (a lingerie company based in Kyoto) for an ongoing women empowerment project, 98% of foreign men perceive Japanese women to be kawaii (“cute”). But can you guess the number one thing that the majority of those men find to be unattractive about Japanese women, and what researchers are planning to do about it?
For years the increasing elderly population of Japan has been under attack by scammers posing as their sons and daughters. In what’s called the “oreore sagi” (Hey, it’s me! Con) the scammer calls on the telephone and poses as the victim’s child asking them for an emergency load due to an accident or trouble at work.
Now it seems the fraud is on the other foot as younger smartphone users have been reporting unusual emails from dear old Ma asking them to click on a link. However, an entertaining bright side to these attempted crimes can be found too. One blogger eloquently put it: These junk mails are fascinating in that they can be quite elaborate and yet also look really half-assed at the same time.
On the Internet, there is little that people can agree on. From politics to the current state of anime, commenters can be relied on to pull out the metaphorical daggers over the sight of a dissenting opinion. That is with one magnificent exception: Cats! Cute and cuddly, it’s almost impossible to find something wrong with cats.
Okay, that’s not entirely true, but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone kvetching about this indecisive kitty, except its slave…sorry, owner!
Feb 3, 2015
Brand endorsement is a big thing in Japan, and many companies and organizations appoint celebrities and famous personalities to promote their products, services and campaigns. More often than not, these famous faces appear not only on billboards and commercials, but also on limited-edition campaign goods such as collectible postcards and plastic folders that consumers can receive by participating in the campaigns.
Fans would rush to get their hands on these limited freebies featuring their favorite stars, but as always, if there’s a face on it, there’d be trolling. Some Japanese youths have found some ingenious ways to “use” these Yuzuru Hanyu and Miliyah Kato plastic folders, check them out after the break!
Feb 3, 2015
And it looks like what the kids really want to buy these days are shirts and goods emblazoned with Studio Ghibli art!
Feb 2, 2015
Fairy gardens, as they’re sometimes called, are a creative way to make use of any broken flowerpots you have lying around. Add a few plants, some minuscule stairs, and a piece or two of doll house furniture, and you’ve got an attractive yet practical miniature home for any magical friends residing in your neighborhood.
One Japanese website caught wind of some fairy garden pictures posted online by different people, and is currently touting them as miniature “Laputa worlds,” after the floating island found in the eponymous 1986 Studio Ghibli film. At first we were a bit skeptical, but upon further inspection, the site actually has a point!
Feb 2, 2015
Though it’s not official, we’re starting to think that Japan’s national sport is waiting in line. The colder the day and the longer you stand around shivering, the more points you seem to get. Hey, it’s a lot less violent than, say, sportsball, so we’re not criticizing.
And the most recent line-waiting competition took place this Friday–just in time for the first snow of 2015 in the Tokyo/Yokohama area! We think that’s like a kicking a three-pointer in baseball or something. But who or what were these hundreds of people waiting for in the middle of the snow outside Yokohama Arena?
If the title of this article sounds a bit too much like one of those clickbait ads, then don’t worry – this is still RocketNews 24! But seriously, we do really have a pretty simple and easy way to make your coffee taste way yummier, and it’s straight from the wisdom of the dad of one of the writers of our sister site, Pouch. You won’t need any fancy Hello Kitty shaped coffee beans to pull this off (especially since I just made up the existence of Hello Kitty shaped coffee beans), just your regular coffee and some water. So, what’s the magic trick?
Jan 29, 2015
You’re no doubt aware of the (at time of writing) ongoing hostage crisis that has swept Japan, Jordan and those country’s allies up in a tense political chess match as representatives attempt to negotiate with the fundamentalist Islamic militant group ISIS for the release of a captured Jordanian fighter pilot and a Japanese war journalist Kenji Goto. The crisis has certainly been nerve-wracking and immeasurably scary for those with ties to the hostages.
But, for Chinese netizens, something far scarier happened a few days ago.
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby1
- Fan film ‘Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope’ – two years in the making, but well worth the wait【Video】2
- Narita Airport shuttle buses – Cheaper than the train, but which bus is best?3
- Malaysian girl who got famous for holding things has a beautiful sister【Photos】4
- Our Japanese staff members pick the top places in Japan they’d like to visit again someday5
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master6
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens7
- Possible ISIS threat appears to target Taiwan, infringes on copyright8
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!9
- The top 10 most common shojo manga scenarios, as picked by Japanese girls’ comic fans10
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master1
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens2
- Magazine asks Japanese women if they’d rather date an ugly millionaire or unemployed hottie3
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!4
- Ultimate TKG: We’ll never eat tamago kake gohan the old way again! 【Rocket Kitchen】5
- Here’s a newly-revealed character list for the 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie to geek out over6
- Japan’s most popular kitty names, featuring inspiration from anime and sweet treats!7
- Japanese female bodybuilder could kick your butt, break your heart at the same time8
- Anime is real, says Obama, in definitely-not-at-all-faked photos9
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】2
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it3
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】4
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead5
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet6
- This amazingly detailed theme park map is what Tokyo Ghibli Land would look like7
- The number one thing that foreign men find “not so kawaii” about Japanese women8
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved9
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing7
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens
- Possible ISIS threat appears to target Taiwan, infringes on copyright
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!
- The top 10 most common shojo manga scenarios, as picked by Japanese girls’ comic fans
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!
- “Hideously tacky”? Japan’s poster for Academy Award-winning movie Birdman raises eyebrows online
- Revenge bento show us it’s a dish best served cold (and boxed) with insults and hidden chilies
- Jealous girlfriend erases game from boyfriend’s phone, destroys relationship in process
- A simple paint trick to make your anime robot models look extra sexy
- Convenience store in Japan welcomes new range of donuts, Evangelion-style
- Here’s a newly-revealed character list for the 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie to geek out over
- This is the most technologically-advanced cat feeder you’ll ever find