Luigi has always played second fiddle to his brother Mario and it seems all those years of pent-up jealousy and anger have surfaced in Nintendo’s eighth edition of Mario Kart. Scores of English-language sites have already reported on what many are calling “Luigi’s Death Stare,” and all that news coverage has finally made it over to Japan, inspiring a multitude of comments by surprised Japanese gamers.
It goes without saying that here at RocketNews24, we love video games. While we might not always agree on which system is the best (PC MASTER RACE!), there’s no doubting that we’ll never complain about plunking our butts down in front of a screen and killing some baddies. In fact, some of us are even going to E3 this year for…uh, you, our dear readers! We promise that we are in no way totally, completely, and utterly thrilled to be attending. It’s all for you!
See how much we love you?
And what else do we love besides video games and our super awesome readers? Well, I can’t speak for everyone here, but I love some tasty metal riffs. Which is exactly what makes this medley combining music from 38 different games so awesome. Check out the 17 minutes of awesomeness below to see if your favorite game made the cut! Read More
Most of us have been to a zoo at least once. As children, it’s often the highlight of a weekend–watching the prowling big cats, hearing the bellowing elephants, and petting the adorable rabbits–it’s almost too good to be true. Unfortunately, “too good to be true” may be more accurate than we want to admit.
In fact, a certain Japanese video that has recently gone viral due to its “cute” footage shows just how traumatizing zoos can be for their animal residents.
Jun 5, 2014
So you’ve got an undying love for old school pornographic magazines that you want to shout from the mountaintops, but you know gluing crumpled old pages of skin mags to your pale, clammy, naked body and running through the streets is sure to get you arrested, so you’re at a loss for how to express your affection. We’ve all been there, right?
No? Oh… uh… yeah, me neither.
But one deranged ingenious Japanese artist found a way to show the world that porn is just the bee’s knees, without a stint in the slammer!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jun 5, 2014
There have been several commercials pulled off the air in Japan that some have dubbed “racist” and plenty of online banter to add to the debate. But we’ve also seen anti-anti-Korean protesters in Tokyo willing to stand up against truly hateful right-wing activists and many other examples of Japanese citizens whose actions seem to show that Japan is not as xenophobic as some may believe.
With a new school year comes new students, new possibilities, and a new round of beauty competitions.
“Wait,” you’re asking, “Beauty competitions? Shouldn’t that be ‘roommates’ or ‘textbooks’ or ‘professors?'” And, yes, those are just a few of the new experiences that come with starting college, but thanks to New Face Grand Prix, new Japanese female college students can also “compete” to be the cutest freshman in Japan.
The thing about fluffy dogs is they look a lot bigger than they actually are. Take this little pomeranian for example – he looks more like the cousin of a rodent than a canine once he’s been robbed of his voluptuous mane. But the most interesting part of this photo is what Japanese netizens think this soggy doggy looks like.
“Aw, what an adorable little karate tot!” I thought to myself as I stumbled upon a video of seven-year-old Mahiro-chan about to do some adorable flailing. “It’s like someone put a karate gi on a Cabbage Patch Kid!”
Trembling in anticipation of some otherworldly cuteness, I clicked play and GAHHHHHHHH!!!! She’s TERRIFYING!!!!!
- Philip Kendall
Jun 2, 2014
Like it or loathe it, Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” is still killing it in the charts more than six months after its initial release and remains of the most played songs on the radio. Sure, the lyrics are kind of simple, and its gets kind of repetitive, but when an artist devotes so much energy to being upbeat and provides a track that you just can’t help tapping your feet to, it’s hard not to crack a smile.
Fan-made remakes of the music video are ten a penny right now, with people all over the world feeling the urge to make their own smiling, strutting, and dancing compilations, but one particular video, titled “Harajuku Happy“, is by far one of the coolest we’ve seen, giving us a tour of the titular town while showing that life in Japan’s capital isn’t all black suits and bowing.
Our mothers always told us that it’s not polite to talk about money. And while we usually listen to what our mother’s tell us, this one time we’re going to ignore their advice. Sorry, mom!
But, really, it’s not a big deal, because we’re not talking about our money. Instead, we’re talking about Japanese people’s money–specifically, how much they have saved up on average. And the number might surprise you.
Did you have anything OC Desu (OCです) today?
If your answer is “Wha?” then you’re probably not hip to the new buzzword circling around social media in Japanese recently. Students of the language can probably figure it out by saying it out loud, and the image above gives us a pretty big hint too.
While most cats would be content with plain and simple internet domination, there’s one chubby tabby who craves something more. Meet Zarathustra, the Russian cat who’s sinking his paws into a different pie, taking over the world of fine art and starring in his very own exhibition. From Da Vinci to Rembrandt, no artwork is safe from this feline’s sultry poses and exquisite expressions.
- Joan Coello
Jun 1, 2014
Do you like manga? We definitely do! Here at RocketNews24, we cover topics related to manga (or comics) every once in awhile, so you might have seen quite a few articles featuring images of manga drawn by professionals and amateurs alike. But have you seen manga that has a mind of its own? We found some on Twitter!
Check out these adorable, albeit slightly mischievous, characters who fidget about and “interact” with their artists within their little manga frames!
Creators can be inspired by anything and everything around them. It could be a sight, a sound, a person, or even a website. Italy-based artist and design student Victor Faretina created a series of dresses inspired by some famous websites, titled Web in Vogue.
As people working on and for the Internet, we spend an awful lot of time surfing websites, but the idea of wearing a website certainly hasn’t crossed our minds. However, these amazing gowns designed by Victor are definitely making us look at the websites we visit daily in a different light!
The E3 video games trade event is coming up in less than two weeks and we’re sending a crew out to give you an up-close look! There will be an enormous amount on show this year, but what we really want to know is what YOU want to hear more about. Take our poll and tell us what you’d like to see at this year’s E3!
Whoops, guess I better whip out my smartphone and upload a picture of my Green Tea Frappuccino to Twitter, because I just happen to be writing this post at Starbucks. Apparently, the classic “at Starbucks now” picture is one of the most commonly seen types of photos on social media sites, and I’d hate to be missing out.
In fact, a concise at-a-glance chart of trivial photos that (Japanese) girls frequently upload to their SNS accounts has recently been making the rounds on the Japanese internet. We were familiar with every single one of them–how about you?
- Preston Phro
May 28, 2014
Perhaps one of the most fascinating things in the world is old photos. There’s something almost otherworldly about those 100-year-old photos of Japan, Japanese landscape, and Japanese people, as if we were looking back through a time-telescope. It doesn’t hurt that the photos, despite technological restrictions, also happen to be gorgeous! The same can be said for old Japanese advertising posters that show off a time and place few even remember.
Check out these 16 alcohol and cigarette posters below and try to remember: Just because the cool kids are doing it, that doesn’t mean you should! Cigarettes are still bad for your health.
- Preston Phro
May 26, 2014
There are a few things we at RocketNews24 love more than anything else in the world: Food, video games, anime, weirdness from Asia, and sending Mr. Sato out on adventures involving as many of the above as possible. We also love good music, so it goes without saying that we’re always ready for some new tunes to dance off all of our junk food calories, like maybe some sexy new dubstep remixes.
So, how about this live remix of the iPhone ring tone, complete with a drop dirty enough to make Skrillex blush? It’s guaranteed to get your body moving and confuse all your Apple-loving friends at the same time!
May 26, 2014
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC1
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】4
- How to properly pronounce “Ghibli” and other fun trivia about the legendary animation studio5
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed6
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance7
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl8
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】9
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane4
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance9
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land9
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- Baked Kit Kats now showing up in cakes, parfaits, and crepes across Japan
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- London’s Sumo Run has Japanese confused, kind of offended
- Live-action Attack on Titan film casts lead role, sets filming location and start date
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Want a bit of One Piece magic? This real-looking Devil Fruit is sure to set the right mood!