We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: McDonald’s Japan has the best Happy Meal toys. In case you haven’t heard, the fast food chain created Mario toys for their “Happy Set” kids meals and they’re awesome. Lucky for those abroad, Japanese fans of the franchise have already uploaded videos of their McDonald’s Happy Meal Marios (say that five times fast). Take a look at just a few!
Ever wished you could snuggle up and be totally enveloped in your cat’s warm embrace, or just lie on them like a sofa? If only cats were big enough for that. Wait… if cats were that big, you’d feel mouse-sized. Which I think is a little creepy. Still, you could achieve the impossible dream… to sit on your cat, and not the other way round.
Here we have a giant cat sofa to snuggle up on. I don’t know, I imagined it a lot furrier, more like a Persian longhair, and less limp. Cattiness aside, how many cat couches are out there? This is the first one I’ve seen.
Normally known for a spot to get a sugar-fueled caffeine fix, Starbucks recently opened a new outlet in Tokyo that is serving alcohol. The new coffee shop is part of a concept line of cafés the company is establishing in Japan to offer customers something a little different from the usual Starbucks experience. In addition to serving upscale coffee drinks and homemade desserts, this shop will be selling wine and beer after noon in the fashionable Shimokitazawa neighborhood.
Over the course of a year, we humans can accumulate a lot of mucky emotions. We inevitably forget the dangers that certain fiery passions, like anger and envy, can do to our psyches. In order to remind ourselves to retake control of these troublesome fires that burn within us, we must take a walk through physical flames and let the fear of literal fire burn away our emotional impurities.
At least, that’s the idea behind Fukugonji’s annual firewalking festival! Each year, on second Sunday of December, this Zen Buddhist temple in Aichi Prefecture invites all members of the public to step across their scorching coals and reclaim inner purity at the Fukugonji Akiba Grand Festival. This year, the festival promises to be particularly entertaining, as well as spiritual and somewhat scary, as one might expect from firewalking.
The beach can be a great place to go to get away from it all. From listening to the gently rolling waves to smelling the ocean air and picking up seashells, there is nothing quite like a relaxing visit to the shore. Usually the most surprising thing found in the sand or water is a strange-looking sea creature, but one man stumbled upon a record-breaking 80 kg of cocaine on November 19 off the shores of Yokosuka City in Kanagawa Prefecture. Police say its street value is about 4.8 billion yen (US$47 million) and they are now looking into whoever was wishing for an apparently very white Christmas.
Some people take fashion very seriously. They wouldn’t think of putting a foot outside the door without being perfectly made up, coiffed and dressed. This obsession isn’t restricted to homo sapiens, though. Cookie the Shiba Inu simply refuses to go for walkies in this indignity of a polka dot sweater.
Okay, we have another treat for our cat-loving readers! How would you like to take a cute kitty around with you everywhere you go? Well, it may not always be possible to carry around a real cat, but a certain line of embroidered shirts that has already gained a huge amount of attention on the Japanese Internet may be the next best thing.
Take a look at these absolutely adorable creations, and we’re sure you’ll understand why the shirts have created such a buzz. You’ll hardly be able to take your eyes off the cats on these shirts, so intricate and lifelike it’s almost hard to believe they’re works of embroidery, and done all by hand too!
It’s Monday again and you know what that means! Your Monday Kickstart video is here to get you going through another week.
This week’s video features a corgi who’s so happy he just can’t contain himself. With a short stubby tail, the little dog shows his excitement the only way he can: by wagging his entire backside. Shakira’s “hips don’t lie” and twerking jokes aside, it’s an adorable video!
Hotel and restaurant bathrooms have really done a number on us by introducing a new level of hospitality through toilet paper etiquette. When the next sheet of paper on the roll is folded into a neat triangular point, we’re made to feel that extra bit special, safe in the knowledge that the area has recently been attended to, as if the place was just done up in anticipation of our arrival.
One lady in the United States has taken the triangular toilet paper fold to a whole new level, incorporating traditional Japanese origami concepts to produce a book of cute, funny and surprisingly beautiful designs to dress up the toilet roll in your bathroom. From swans to candles, who knew toilet paper could be so adorable?
As the year draws to a close and 2014 pokes its head over the horizon, Harry Potter fans in Japan are finding it harder to contain their excitement over the summer opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, Osaka. Fan photos on Twitter show how the progress is going, with an awesome train service and a near-complete replica of Hogwarts Castle that looks exactly like the one on film.
Like a migratory bird made of carbon fiber and engine blocks, every two years the Tokyo Motor Show returns to give us all a glimpse at automakers’ visions of the future. RocketNews24 visited this year’s event, and we’re here to share with you our impressions and photos of the massive crowds, newest concept cars, and hottest current models (both automotive and female).
Japan is filled with interesting characters–and by that we mean local mascots and characters, not the wacky TV personalities. From rosy-cheeked bears to wild and crazy pears, there is no shortage of mascots for every prefecture, city, and company.
While Funasshi might be the one stealing the limelight right now, another older character is stirring up a storm online with her revealing outfit!
Super Typhoon Haiyan caused unspeakable damage to the islands of the Philippines. Homes were lost, but even more heartbreaking, many lives were lost in this tragic disaster. One of our Japanese reporters wanted to experience the damage in the Philippines for himself, so he headed to Ormoc City on the island of Leyte. He didn’t just want to report on the tragedy, so he decided to get to know the people on a personal level and donated food and volunteered his time to help the victims of Super Typhoon Haiyan. This is his story.
It’s no secret that we here at RocketNews24 love sushi and especially kaitenzushi, or conveyor belt sushi restaurants. There is nothing like the joy of watching plates and plates of delicious sushi go around like a train while you anxiously wait for your favorite kind to be delivered by conveyor belt.
Although we have been to the supposedly best conveyor belt sushi restaurant in Japan, we are always on the lookout for the next best thing in automatically delivered fish on rice. That is why we were very excited to hear about a restaurant in Matsuyama City that has a standing offer to all local fishermen: the shop will buy your freshly caught without the hassle of going to a fish market!
Japanese curry is usually the first dish any new resident of Japan learns to make. It’s cheap, easy, and actually tasty, not to mention pretty healthy depending on how many vegetables you choose to add in. But as many new curry cookers have come to find out, it’s hard to make the exact amount of curry you want, resulting in an awkward amount of leftovers that’s too little to make into a full meal but too big to throw away. That’s why Japanese site, Naver Matome, compiled a list of 12 awesome recipes using that little bit of leftover curry we’re always stuck with. Enjoy our English version and never waste a drop of precious curry again!
The good people at Honda, seemingly having read our minds, introduced at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show this beautiful luxury chair-vehicle hybrid that we never knew we’d always been waiting for.
Gone are the days of actually having to get out of your seat to retrieve the remote, or that last broken chip from the Pringles can that somehow found its way into the seat cushion of that chair you never use. In fact, with the new UNI-CUB the only reason you’ll ever need to get out of your seat again is to give a standing ovation to Honda’s brilliant – and probably equally lazy – engineers.
For about 17 hours a day, urban Japan’s public transportation system seems like the greatest thing in the world. Clean, punctual, well-mannered, and convenient, it’s the perfect way to get around major cities like Tokyo and Yokohama.
But sometime after midnight, the trains, subways, and busses all stop running. Sure, you could always hop a taxi home, but cabs in Japan charge a special surcharge late at night. So unless you feel like shelling out the 5,000 to 10,000 yen (US $50-$100) for a ride to the suburbs, you’re either spending the night in a capsule hotel or hanging around somewhere until the trains start up again around 5 a.m..
The almost complete absence of street crime in Japan means you’re unlikely to get hassled or mugged, even in the seedier parts of town. You will, however, eventually get hungry. Thankfully, when you do, these awesome late-night eateries are ready to serve you.
It has been a great year for gamers. Two new game consoles—PlayStation 4 and Xbox One— have ushered in a new generation of living room gaming, and then scientists gave us some delicious data to throw back in mom’s face about how spending all that time glued to the NES was actually making us smarter. And to add to the year of good news, a very (un)official poll of about 50 couples at Joypolis arcade in Tokyo said that playing video games actually makes you more attractive on a date!
But which games are best to impress, and does it really work? Click below to find out as well as to participate in our official RocketNews24 poll to test this theory of video games’ effects on beauty.
Sometimes food is so beautifully prepared it seems like a shame to eat it. And yet, the beautiful preparation makes it that much more enticing. The Japanese are without a doubt the masters of this skill, ranging from the exquisite jewel-like arrangements of chic kaiseki-ryori to the saccharine adorableness of the average kid’s bento.
But we’ve discovered an almost-too-squee-inducing-to-eat treat that should appeal to adults and children alike: cream puffs shaped like Ghibli animation favorite Totoro.
Japan is often thought of as an exporting juggernaut, thanks in no small part to the country’s high profile automobile and consumer electronics companies. However, the nation has to turn to importing for much of its energy needs, particularly as it increasingly looks for ways to reduce its reliance on domestically produced nuclear power following the events at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in 2011.
However, one scientist claims Japan could eliminate its need to import energy entirely by turning algae into fuel.
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- 10 of the best gift shops in Kyoto2
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】3
- We buy a pair of glasses from up and coming idol Kanna Hashimoto4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- Learn about Japanese history with cute smartphone samurai warrior cats!7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- Forget makeup or plastic surgery! This product is guaranteed to make you beautiful in an instant9
- Virtual date DVD features real crab and tons of creepiness10
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】1
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- Gundam creator has harsh words for manga and anime hit “Attack on Titan”5
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts8
- Parents create amazing Studio Ghibli mural for daughter’s nursery before she’s even born9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】2
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】5
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Learn about Japanese history with cute smartphone samurai warrior cats!
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Forget makeup or plastic surgery! This product is guaranteed to make you beautiful in an instant
- Virtual date DVD features real crab and tons of creepiness
- Make chocolate from cocoa beans with this new chocolate making kit!
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- Only in Japan? Controversial mystery vegetable you’ve probably never heard of
- Ramen characters prove there’s more to Fukushima than just nuclear sadness
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland
- Taiwan’s annual IT show lasts a whole month! Booth babes galore! 【Photos】
- Parents create amazing Studio Ghibli mural for daughter’s nursery before she’s even born