The above picture was the scene outside a Pizza Hut shop in Chiyoda, Tokyo at 11:00 am on 24 February. The line stretches well around the block on the morning of a weekday with people looking to buy some pizza. The chain has certainly done collaborations with popular franchises before but none have generated this level of attention. So, what has Pizza Hut done to generate this kind of buzz? The answer is kind of painful.
Feb 26, 2014
A two-year-old girl in China’s Anhui Province is recovering in hospital after accidentally cutting off four of her own fingers while playing unattended at home. Unbeknown to her mother, the little girl had procured a knife from the family kitchen and cut through her digits while pretending to cook.
Warning: the following report contains images that (although mercifully blurred out) some readers may find distressing.
Feb 25, 2014
The basic idea of going to a cafe is that it’s a place to relax for an hour or so. You can sit down and have a cup of coffee, but eventually you’re going to get hungry, smelly, or sleepy. Sooner or later you’ll need to leave and go somewhere else for a real meal, hot bath, and good night’s sleep.
Unless, of course, you stop by a unique cafe in Saitama Prefecture, which not only has luxurious Japanese-style bathing facilities, but just about everything you need for a comfortable lifestyle.
Feb 25, 2014
An unidentified Chinese man in his thirties or forties stole an alligator coat valued at approximately $128,000 from a Hong Kong Burberry store by putting it on and just walking out the front door on Wednesday, authorities told South China Morning Post.
Feb 25, 2014
What’s this strange contraption? Perhaps a headrest, or some kind of anti-cheating device? Maybe it’s something for the kids to hold on to when English grammar classes get too exciting to bear!?
Actually, this classroom has been fitted with these specially-designed desks as a measure of preserving their kids’ precious eyesight.
Our hungry friends over at Foodbeast have just unleashed a great new how-to video that outlines a number of errors both Japanese and non-Japanese alike often make when eating sushi. Not only that, but it teaches us the correct way to eat the stuff, introducing one piece of dining etiquette in particular that even regular sushi eaters often forget. Be sure to check this one out!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 25, 2014
Of course, not all anime are created equal, but there are some common themes and scenes that run throughout. From nosebleeds at the sight of an attractive young lady to “magical openings,” the following video, titled “10 Steps To Become Real Life Anime!” has been generally celebrated by the anime-loving community for its truthful and humorous depiction of anime. Watch the video yourself and see if you agree!
Feb 25, 2014
A bank teller in Shanghai kept a cool head when a would-be robber threatened her with a huge meat cleaver. Without showing even a hint of fear, the bank teller can be seen laughing and pointing at the man, as his bungled robbery ends in him being taken away by security guards.
Feb 25, 2014
Recently, in what we might call the ‘marshmallow movement’, we’ve seen chubby girls start to shed some of their stigma in Japan. A chubby Japanese idol group has already arrived on the scene, and now we can also introduce a dedicated plus-size magazine. And as if marshmallows weren’t enough, they’re apparently also pushing for a new, and rather creative, label.
Feb 25, 2014
Annual Cat Day may be over, but that doesn’t mean we have to stop celebrating all things feline, does it? That’s right, as fond as we are of cats, we don’t really need a reason to express our affection for our feline friends, and in that spirit, some of the lovely reporters at our sister site Pouch decided to get together and come up with a list of the best cat-themed alcoholic drinks around. Cats and alcohol, now that sounds like a dangerously attractive combination!
To get their hands on some of the fun and tasty cat-themed drinks out there, our reporters used the services of major Japanese online liquor distributor Kakuyasu. Let’s see what their top five pics were.
The Box Office Mojo website reports that Hayao Miyazaki‘s final film, The Wind Rises opened in limited release this weekend in 21 theaters with an estimated US$306,000. Those box office receipts gave the film a per-screen average of US$14,571, the second highest among all films in the United States this weekend (after Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me‘s US$15,000 average on two screens).
Dogs are some of the best pets you can have. They’ll play with you when you’re bored, they’ll snuggle with you when you’re sad, and they’ll be just plain adorable whether you want them to or not. And, if you’re really lucky, you can even get them to play dress up with you!
But just what character would you want your dog to cosplay as? There aren’t too many options, but here’s the one that should be obvious: Amaterasu’s wolf form from Ōkami!
Feb 25, 2014
Perhaps you remember Ladybeard from our previous post a couple of weeks ago introducing the cross-dressing bearded pro-wrestler, performer, heavy metal singer and party rocker. Well, it would seem that Ladybeard recently met up with another iconic cross-dresser in Japan, the “Sailor Suit Old Man”.
A hairy burly man and a balding old man in schoolgirl uniforms may sound like an absolute turn off, but they looked so happy, we couldn’t help but think they actually look somewhat cute. Here’s the most epic schoolgirl combi in history!
Last Sunday, the eighth iteration of the Tokyo Marathon was held, with Kenyan Dickson Chumba and Ethiopian Tirfi Tsegaye setting new men’s and women’s course records, respectively. In fact, the two African nations dominated the race, with citizens accounting for the top seven male finishers as well as the first five women to cross the finish line.
However, somewhere farther back in the pack plenty of attention was given to a Japanese runner dressed as one of history’s most famous natives of the Middle East: Jesus.
We recently ran down a number of reasons why so many people in Japan will strap on a surgical mask even if they aren’t feeling sick. One of the most common reasons is that for women, slipping on a mask is less of a hassle then carefully applying makeup, but the cultural phenomena of perfectly healthy Japanese wearing masks isn’t strictly a female thing.
Today, we present the testosterone-packed follow-up to our previous report, as we explore why healthy Japanese men wear masks.
Feb 25, 2014
Last month we laughed along with the Swedish animators Olivia Bergstrom and Eric Bradford as we watched the first scenes of their anime-inspired creation Senpai Club. Now the pair, collectively known as makebabi.es, is back for another round of parody featuring dangerously pointy anime chins, ostensibly handsome upperclassmen, and just maybe even more stealthy bilingual gags with Senpai Club Episode 1 Part 2.
Japanese publisher Kodansha reported its financial results for the 2013 fiscal year (December 2012 to November 2013) on Thursday. The company garnered 120.272 billion yen (about US$1.173-billion) in revenue, a 2.0% increase from the previous fiscal year. The publisher’s profits increased by 107.3% to 3.214 billion yen (US$31.346 million). This is Kodansha’s first revenue increase in 18 years and its first increase in both revenue and profit in 19 years.
Feb 24, 2014
Back when I was applying for my first Japanese work visa, there was a thick stack of paperwork I had to submit. Most of the items made sense, but one that struck me as weird, though, was my college diploma. I knew that Japanese law required a college education for the visa I was applying for, but wouldn’t sealed, authenticated transcripts make more sense than a personal diploma, which could be easily forged for 20 bucks at any print shop, or even with a high quality home-use printer?
Nope, I was informed, it had to be the diploma. That’s the paperwork they give you when you graduate, right? After all, from the standpoint of honest and by-the-book Japanese society, who would be so dishonest as to provide false educational credentials?
How about a man in Osaka, who taught junior high school for 15 years without ever obtaining his teaching credential.
Feb 24, 2014
Ah, the joys of international travel. You shell out the majority of your paycheck for a ticket and spend sleepless nights counting down the days to your adventure of a lifetime. Then the day of departure finally comes and you board the plane, arriving hours later at your destination and trembling with anticipation. Camera in hand, you journey to the first famous place on your list that you’ve been dreaming about for weeks on end. Finally there, you take a quick look around, eyes widening in surprise, and blurt out, “…that’s it?!”
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy1
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid2
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice3
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked4
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts5
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer6
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime7
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind8
- Rising star of Japanese horse racing is as ridiculously fast as he is comically scatterbrained9
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?3
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku4
- Somebody turned a Disney Channel cartoon into an anime and it’s pretty awesome5
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters6
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】7
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts8
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air9
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】5
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”6
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind
- Rising star of Japanese horse racing is as ridiculously fast as he is comically scatterbrained
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!
- Le Jardin de Tweed: Lunch on the roof terrace at Chanel Ginza
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls
- Kirishima Geopark: Trekking through a bonsai forest in the clouds 【Photos】
- New ‘Shrine Cafe’ in Tokyo offers fortune-telling and counseling services with your tea
- Mickey men: All-male trips to Tokyo Disneyland are on the rise in Japan
- 【PSA】Knock knock! Check your car, save a cat
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)