Japan is home to some of the strangest collaborative promotions you will ever find. There’s been everything from Mountain Dew combining powers with a chip company to convenience store teaming up with a menstruation website. Many times the promotions are endless and maybe even seem pointless! But the new collaboration between Docomo, the cell phone company, and Lotteria, the burger shop, is a month of blood clot-forming, salt-coma inducing greatness. This campaign is going to make people who like to talk on their phones and also people who like to stuff their face with French fries very, very happy!!!
We all have foods that we love perhaps a little more than we should, but for Mr. Sato, a man whose love of food in general has taken him on many a colorful, abdomen-abusing adventure risking his health and even his sanity, the gustatory passion that tops all others is shellfish. So when he headed off to report on an all-you-can-eat shrimp restaurant for us, we feared for his life.
- Casey Baseel
Dec 2, 2013
There may not have been any Thanksgiving festivities in Japan this past week, but the Japanese language’s ample opportunities for puns gave us two special days to celebrate. Coming on the heels of Knee-High Socks Day was the equally pun-tastic Good Meat Day on November 29.
Good Meat Day gets its name by breaking the date into its individual digits of 1-1-2-9, which can be read as ii niku, literally “good meat.” We decided the best way to commemorate our carnivorous cravings was by hitting Burger King to catch the tail-end of their all-you-can-eat burger promotion.
Wish you could just stuff your face with burgers until you explode? So do we. That’s why you’ll find our staff down at Burger King on August 30 enjoying the all-you-can-eat Burger King feast that will be going on for one day only.
Over the last few years, more and more restaurants have been offering what people in Japan call “one coin meals,” costing less than 500 yen (US $5), the highest denomination coin here.
We recently found a restaurant in Kumamoto Prefecture, on the southern island of Kyushu, that just barely misses the cut with its 700 yen tempura set. That extra 200 yen is totally worth it though, because it gets you all-you-can-eat tempura. And when we say all-you-can-eat, we mean that literally; there’s no time limit for how long your meal can last.
Natto, which is also known as fermented soybeans, is a dish well-loved by the Japanese for its high nutritious value. Recently, we introduced a restaurant which served all-you-can-eat natto, and this time we’re back with another great natto dining experience!
Ibaraki prefecture has opened a local goods retail store and restaurant, named Ibaraki Marche, in Tokyo’s Ginza. Natto is widely used in many of the local dishes of Ibaraki, so one can expect Ibaraki Marche to serve the best tasting natto.
Ms. Rinko, a reporter over at our Japanese sister site Pouch, headed over to the restaurant to try out their natto lunch.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 3, 2013
Natto, also known as fermented soybeans, is a unique food hailing from Japan. The smell alone (often described as smelly feet or chemicals), not to mention the slug-like texture, are enough to turn even the most adventurous eaters away. But for some, natto is a delicious and healthy treat that is enjoyed daily.
A restaurant in the Setagaya ward of Tokyo is now offering patrons all the natto they can fit in their bellies for 780 yen (US $8.50). The all-you-can-eat natto lunch gives natto lovers a great deal on a delicious meal and natto haters a cheap way to challenge themselves to eat as much fermented soybean as they can before throwing up. Why would you want to do that? We don’t know, but now you can if you want to.
- Master Blaster
Dec 16, 2012
Kentucky Fried Chicken is getting into the holiday spirit with the All-You-Can-Eat Chicken Tour. From now till midnight on 20 December you can enter as often as you like to win a trip to Osaka where you can eat your fill of unlimited free KFC!
- Master Blaster
Jul 7, 2012
This past Fourth of July, while Kentucky Fried Chicken was celebrating Independence Day in the US, KFC Japan was busy commemorating the anniversary of the fried chicken chain’s entrance into the Japanese market.
On this day they held a one-day all-you-can-eat sale where customers could get 45 minutes of non-stop chicken for 1,200 yen. A very generous deal but how much did KFC stand to lose on such an offer, or did they lose? Let’s crunch the numbers and see.
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman1
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move2
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old girl to raise her to be his “ideal girl”3
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】7
- Visitors to this Wakayama beach get to swim with whales this summer8
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Japanese artist arrested for sharing 3-D printable data of her vagina3
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease8
- Little boy comforts scared girl at school, is manlier than your fully grown adult boyfriend9
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Visitors to this Wakayama beach get to swim with whales this summer
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】
- ‘”Married Men Don’t Look Happy!” “Wives Unnecessary!”: An Increasing Number of Japanese Men Opting for Bachelorhood
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea
- Why was Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 flying over Ukraine? NHK explains
- Honey-sweet Winnie the Pooh cakes now on sale — and you’ll love the packaging! 【Taste Test】
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】