No Hollywood special effects, no magician’s helper, heck, not even any mystical kung-fu powers here. All it took for this Shaolin monk in China to walk on water was practice, practice and more practice! That said, running across hundreds of metres of wooden panels placed on the surface of a lake is definitely not a feat that any layman could achieve without proper training, a high level of fitness and immense concentration.
There is perhaps no greater feeling of anger and frustration than getting cut off on an expressway. To have your pleasant cruising speed shattered by some jerk-off who can’t tilt their head an extra inch or position their mirrors properly is usually an unforgivable act in the driving world.
However, this one truck driver in particular has earned the acclaim of everyone who watched the harrowing video of it cutting off a car as they both drove along at high speeds on a rainy highway. After watching the video we’re pretty sure you’ll understand why.
Aug 4, 2014
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk into a human-sized kaleidoscope? If the thought has crossed your mind but there is nothing of the sort to be found in your neighborhood, you can now live vicariously through the following photographs.
Introducing Wink Space, a work of art made by a pair of Japanese designers at an arts festival last year. Wait till you see its exquisite design–it’s absolutely spellbinding!
For those of you who thought phys-ed class never taught skills valuable in the real world, we bring you the story and footage of one Mr. Li of Zhongshan City, Guangdong.
Upon seeing an infant at a second-story window, the man dashed below and readied himself to make the most important catch of his life.
We’ve all had days where things just go inexplicably wrong. Forgetting your homework, tripping over the cat, or worst of all, getting locked out of the house–all of these are horrible ways to start or end any day of the week. But have you ever wondered why it seems that when one thing goes bad, everything goes bad? Well, this video might provide an answer to the mystery: It’s all the cat!!
Mar 25, 2014
Restaurant “Sushiya no Hachi” (すし屋の野八) in Asakusa, Tokyo is serving up some really tiny sushi. So tiny, in fact, that you might not even be able to find it on your plate!
Sushi chef Hironori Ikeno is the man behind these minuscule works of art. He has perfected his craft to the point that he can make each piece using only one grain of rice. Don’t believe your eyes? Don’t worry- you’re not the only one who needs a magnifying glass!
Japan is well-known for its beautiful sightseeing destinations, particularly in and around Kyoto. From Kiyomizu Temple to the Gold Pavilion, there’s a nearly unlimited supply of gorgeous buildings to check out. But perhaps one of the most fascinating is the Phoenix Hall in Byoudou Temple, the expansive temple gracing the ten-yen coin.
Sadly, the hall has been undergoing repairs since September 2012, making it off-limits to visitors. Fortunately, the Phoenix Hall will reopen in March next year, but what a bummer it must have been for visitor who missed out over the last 16 months. Well fret not, disappointed sight-seers! We’ve found something almost as awesome: A Nico Nico Douga user has made a near-exact replica of the structure–using only cardboard!
There’s no shortage of brilliant musicians on the Internet putting their unique spins on popular songs or performing in unusual locations. From shamisen duos playing on moving vehicles to symphonic video game music, it seems like there couldn’t possibly be anything new for us to discover.
Emphasis on the “seems like,” because you are not going to believe what this Japanese violinist manages to pull off!
Aug 29, 2013
“You punch like a girl” was never a very good insult. Aside from being stupidly sexist, it ignores the fact that plenty of women are badasses who could take on nearly any opponent–male or female. And after you see this young woman’s physique, you’ll definitely start taking the phrase as a compliment!
In the world of sports, it’s not unusual to hear of players working through physical and mental maladies for the sake of the games they love. In fact, some might say that these kinds of amazing stories are a large part of what keeps fans interested.
But we’re not sure how many players can claim they’ve played a soccer game with a bullet in their brain pan!
Recently in China motorists have been walking away from accidents which would normally prove fatal. In the following two videos we will see a person riding a scooter get broadsided by a car and a huge pole crash through the windshield and into the driver’s seat of a bus. In each incidence of freakish luck both drivers appear visibly shaken neither looked seriously injured.
Apr 3, 2013
Walk into any amusement center with video game cabinets and you’re bound to run into a Taiko No Tatsujin machine, almost always with people young and old whacking away at it.
It’s a taiko (traditional Japanese drum) simulator rhythm game where you play J-Pop, classical or video game theme songs in the medium of taiko by hitting the drum in time with the various symbols that scroll by.
But for one guy playing at the Oni (demon) level of difficulty, it’s a brutal yet beautiful assault on the drums leaving spectators dazzled as they watched from a safe distance of about three meters.
Feb 5, 2013
A while back we showed some action figure stop motion animation that was amazing in quality but… well, really weird. Watching it you couldn’t help but wonder “wow, if only this level of quality was executed with a more lucid plot.”
Enter Counter656 Productions which seems to be one Taiwanese man in his living room with action figures. He’s been at it for a while but recently out did himself with a battle scene between Dragon Ball’s Trunks and Piccolo.
Dec 4, 2012
As the world waits for the release of the new Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods movie next March, one series of videos posted on YouTube has been helping to keep eager fans satiated.
They feature the incredible skills of a French artist going by the YouTube handle of Etoilec1, who recreated three of the franchise’s greatest matchups in flipbook animation.
Three mind-blowing videos after the jump!
Jul 17, 2012
Everyone has that one friend who can touch their nose with their tongue or fold their arms behind their back. These accomplishments are great for parties and other social events, but on what stage can these people demonstrate such pointless feats for the whole world to enjoy? Twitter!
The following are some of the most hand-bending and mind-bending hand tricks you have ever seen as submitted during a twitter show-off. Give them a try yourself. Just don’t get hurt.
The following is a list of things in Japan that have surprised, fascinated, and shocked the outside world. Some of these things you’ll wish you had in your home country and a few you may never want to see in person. So, without further ado, here are the top 25 Japanese things, from obscure to notorious, that leave foreigners mouths agape.
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”1
- Japanese net users surprised to learn that painfully cute bento was in fact made by a teenage boy2
- Hello Kitty keeping as busy as ever — this time she collaborates with…money itself!3
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine6
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular7
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one8
- When nature is so beautiful you can’t tell whether it’s real or a painting9
- Don’t miss these painfully cute photos of lawless cats invading your privacy【Photos】10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin5
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China6
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo7
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough8
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think9
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one
- When nature is so beautiful you can’t tell whether it’s real or a painting
- Don’t miss these painfully cute photos of lawless cats invading your privacy【Photos】
- Russian street turned into solid block of ice as water pipe bursts in northern town【Photos】
- Espresso Patronum! Artist creates awesome artwork on Starbucks’ cardboard cup sleeves
- “If you are eating chocolate, how do you know where to stop?” – Being Black in China 【Video】
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- Burger Decision 2015! Which crazy Lotteria sandwich will you vote for to make a comeback?
- Gotta buy ‘em all! Whimsicott Substitute Plush Toys have taken over Pokémon Centers in Japan!
- Traditional wood-carved guitars prove Japan is the most metal