What does it mean to be human? That’s the question being asked in a thought-provoking new exhibition of stunningly lifelike androids, which also suggests that maybe the singularity could be closer than we think.
- KK Miller
Jun 4, 2014
There are days you wake up and just want to table-flip the entire world. You want to scream at the top of a mountain about how people are such dumbasses! You’re just so irritated with everything that the next person you come in contact with will feel your wrath. Your conscience kicks in (usually before anything terrible happens) and whispers that Golden Rule in your ear: “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” However, sometimes the lack of face to face contact during text message conversations allows us to forget that there is a real person on the other side. Just because you can’t see the reaction of the other person, it doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want.
For Japanese speakers, the solution is here. And it comes in the form of Shizuka-chan, our favorite character from Doraemon, and a smartphone app.
How many times have you been at a friend’s house, or eating out with someone and you see a really fantastic T-shirt but thought, “if only it was a little different?” You’re jealous, to say the least, because that’s the kind of T-shirt you’ve always wanted to own, with a few changes. The colors, the graphics, the way it looks like it was randomly splattered with other things, it all rocks. Of course, you could go to a T-shirt design shop and work with them to make your own, but it’s too time-consuming and let’s face it, you’re lazy.
Uniqlo, the store that seems to be expanding to more parts of the globe every day, has your back. And it’s really as simple as swiping your finger across the screen of your smart phone. Oh, and of course, shaking it.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Apr 23, 2014
After receiving rave reviews for last year’s model, the Xperia Tablet Z, Sony has refreshed its flagship with a sleek waterproof design that’s just a hair thinner than the last.
It’s even just slightly thinner and lighter than the iPad Air.
Packed with a high-resolution screen and great battery life, the Z2 Tablet is among the best Android tablets you can buy today, although it doesn’t feel quite as premium as the iPad.
- Philip Kendall
Feb 6, 2014
Yesterday, we ran an article telling the story of a dentist in Japan who was arrested for “massaging” a female patient’s chest while claiming that doing so would help fix her misaligned teeth. In it, we included a photo of what appeared to be a young woman in a dentist’s chair with her mouth wide open.
We received plenty of comments on Facebook and Twitter about the news story itself, but many people also took a profound interest in the model in the photo, some feeling quite uneasy about the way she looked yet not knowing why, asking, “What’s wrong with her eyes!?”
The answer to that question is simple, but also kind of creepy: the woman in the photo is an ultra-lifelike doll used in dentistry.
Looking for a way to give those in your immediate area looking for Wi-Fi a delicious treat? No? Well, me neither. But I do enjoy some pointless yet fun tricks to do with devices like Apple’s iPhone or iPad. Take, for example, this incredibly easy way to make your device show up on others as pieces of sushi and poo – or more!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 9, 2014
Just a day after we brought you news that China had temporarily lifted a 14-year ban that prevented foreign companies such as Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony from selling their consoles in the country, homegrown telecommunications company Huawei has unveiled a brand new games console of its own at the CES 2014 trade show.
- Master Blaster
Dec 26, 2013
With the plethora of applications available across all the major platforms, it seems there’s nothing a smartphone app can’t help you with. And now for those who to spend part of their days exploiting the insecurities of people for their own amusement, Yahoo! Japan has released Kisushiyo!, an app that secretly photographs women as they would look when going in for a smooch.
Granted it’s a novelty app that might not appeal to those without a sweet tooth for schadenfruede. However, the story of how this app became available to Android phones everywhere is an interesting look into the state of the internet.
- Preston Phro
Dec 23, 2013
For Japanese people, studying English is almost a given. Even folks who may have no interest in actually leaving their home country may feel compelled to study the language for business or simply because they’re supposed to. But it’s hard to enjoy learning a language that you don’t have any interest in–and having fun is one of the best ways to facilitate learning.
This has opened up something of a cottage industry for people trying to make the learning part fun. There are nonsensical textbooks and sexy teachers, but then there are the college textbooks that seem like their authors weren’t even trying.
Well, for any Japanese English-learners who are on the verge of giving up – and perhaps for those of you struggling with learning Japanese – there may be one ray of hope still shining: Majime na Eibunpou, a surprisingly funny English grammar smartphone app!
- Master Blaster
Dec 18, 2013
Naver Corporation’s Line has been steadily becoming a juggernaut of smartphone apps in recent months. Starting out as a mild-mannered free text and voice chatting application, it has since expanded into a drawing app, games, and even a recently launched Q&A service.
Now, the company’s free camera app has hit the scene and is causing a bit of a stir for its rumored ability to enhance anyone’s beauty. Our Japanese writer GO, who’s always looking for ways to improve his already stunning features, took it out for a spin.
That’s right, Kodansha’s super popular manga series Shingeki no Kyojin: Attack on Titan has teamed up with Yahoo! Japan to bring Japanese smart phone users a terrifying titan-themed search engine!
Imagine the world overrun with enormous humanoid monsters whose sole purpose seems to be extinguishing the human race. What can anyone do to stop the carnage? The answer to that question is what the remaining humans on the planet have to find out in Hajime Isayama’s manga-turned-anime series, Shingeki no Kyojin: Attack on Titan.
Despite the best efforts of Microsoft and RIM, it seems that most of the world’s smartphone markets are largely divided into iPhone and Android users. As iteration after iteration of the latest and shiniest devices appear on our shelves, the debate over which is best grows ever more intense. While it would be impossible to pick a definitive winner in the smartphone race, we could go a long way to figuring it out by looking at how many users each system has attracted.
Enter Gnip, an IT company from the US that specializes in social media, and their beautiful, firework-like, Twitter maps!
A few days ago, tech news site CNET got hold of some new info about Sony’s next-generation smart watches. The expected upgrades to the nifty gadget include a bigger display, and added compatibility so that it’s easier for your watch to talk to your phone. Read on for more details!
People the world over love to upload pics of their cute kitties, but with the help of this new app the cats could well end up taking the photos for you!
- Master Blaster
Oct 21, 2012
Beginning superpower China and Google have butted heads before over issues of censorship and privacy. However, now some people in China have presented the world with some proof that Google’s Android was actually created in China – thousands of years earlier.
【TGS 2012】 WeMade Entertainment Impressions: Farmville-Meets-Final Fantasy App “Hero Square,” Mobile MMO “Arc Sphere” and Social Game Clones for All!
Sep 22, 2012
Social and mobile games are enjoying a strong presence at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, with social game giants GREE and gloops occupying some of the largest exhibit spaces in the venue.
But it’s not just Japanese companies throwing their weight around on the mobile floorspace: Korean online game developer WeMade Entertainment, known in Asia for their popular MMO series The Legend of Mir, is showing six new Japanese-language titles for iOS and Android devices to build anticipation for their full-scale entrance into the Japanese mobile game market later this year.
Bored of the repetitive tap-based social card games, I decided to spend some time with WeMade to see if the Korean developer was bringing anything new to the table.
Now don’t get me wrong. I love my wife and wouldn’t trade her for anyone in the world. But my brain is telling me that I just met the girl of my dreams at today’s Tokyo Game Show, and how can you argue with your own brain?
She’s a booth girl at Brain Kiss, a “neuro-diagnosis” app for iOS that tests the compatibility of two people by analyzing their brainwaves.
All you need to do is put on a special brainwave-reading headset developed by NeuroSky and stare deep into the eyes of the person in front of you for 15 seconds. Brain Wave then presents you with your results, divided into five different “levels of affection.”
It sounds like a fun little app, but be careful who you use it with: if you’re like me, love may be staring your straight in the face.
- Master Blaster
Aug 20, 2012
Unlike American game makers, Japanese video game companies often sweat over every detail before selling their games overseas to make sure it fits the culture. Although the sentiment is appreciated the results are often poor, as people in other countries enjoy those cultural differences more often than not.
Case in point is Prince’s Proposal’s (Ojisama no Puropozu) treacherous journey abroad. Prince’s Proposal is an otome game where your character, a university student, has a chance encounter with six princes whom you must find romance with by making the right choices throughout the story.
Its recent westernized incarnation called Be My Princess, however, decided to replace the stylish anime princes and characters with rubbery, emotionless ones.
Interested in Android OS but Don’t Want to Commit to a Smart Phone? Well, Take This Stick and Shove It Up Your HDMI Port
- Master Blaster
Aug 12, 2012
Looking at the picture you might think this is another run-of-the-mill USB stick when in fact it’s so much more. For starters that’s a HDMI port on the end not USB. And while it does have 4GB memory on it, this stick is also hauling a 1GHz processor, 512MB of DDR3 RAM, and Android 4.0 – all for use on your TV.
- Master Blaster
Jul 11, 2012
How many of you forgot to put your phone into manner mode (vibrate) when going into the office or a movie theatre only to have it ring and draw the angry scowl of everyone in the room? Of how about when you remember to turn on manner mode but when forget to turn it off you miss that important message you were waiting for?
Wouldn’t it be nice to have an app that automatically turns your manner mode on or off depending on where you are? Wouldn’t it be nice to have HexRinger?
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC1
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed2
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】3
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】4
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】5
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】6
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane7
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children8
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!9
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane4
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC5
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】6
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】7
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis8
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land9
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Rare emoticon sun spotted in the sky, brightens our day
- Unagi pastries contain no eel, tons of cuteness
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】