I’ve tried to crochet a cute little amigurumi animal in the past. In fact, I’ve had several attempts at it, but failed every time. I read a book on crocheting and even had someone teach me, but the end result was always the same: a tangled mess of yarn, a whole lot of frustration, and the shattered dream of creating a yarn buddy to call my own. So when I saw these micro amigurumi, I couldn’t believe that someone was able to crochet a unique animal pattern, let alone one that is so small it can balance on the tip of your finger.
- Fran Wrigley
Mar 13, 2014
There’s always someone who’s having a worse day than you. Like this poor Fujian man. When he ended up with a snapping turtle dangling from his top lip, his friends couldn’t resist putting the pictures online for the world to see.
The man certainly got more than he bargained for when he posed for these photos kissing a snapping turtle in China. The turtle latched its powerful jaws onto his lip, refusing to let go. Photos of the pair’s special moment were uploaded to Chinese microblogging site Weibo, and now even include updated “after” shots showing the poor man’s injuries.
Tuluko is a 2-year-old Little Owl (yes, that’s it’s real name) who lives in an apartment in Tokyo. His owner goes by the name KIMUPIKO on Twitter and regularly posts photos of his tiny owl friend, much to the delight of Japanese netizens. The photo above in particular has been melting hearts across the internet. Just seeing Tuluko hunkered down on the warm heated floor is cute enough, but wait until you see some of her other photos.
- Master Blaster
Mar 11, 2014
In a country overflowing with every dating simulator game both imaginable and unimaginable it can be hard to carve a niche. We’ve seen games in the past where players challenge themselves to score a date with an alpaca, pigeon, or T-Rex, but for those who want to play the field of the entire animal kingdom a new player has emerged.
The game is called Kikenna Kare ni Koishiteru (In Love with a Dangerous Boyfriend) and in it you assume the role of a young girl who enrolls in a school of a variety of animals from soft-shelled turtles to Japanese horseshoe crabs. We took the game for a spin and now humbly present this review for your consideration.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 7, 2014
Strange, almost otherwordly creatures have been discovered in the depths of the world’s oceans. But none have ever made someone immediately scream, “I wanna eat it!” That is until now.
Currently the topic of discussion on forums across Japan, this deep-sea shrimp-like crustacean seems to remind many netizens of nigiri sushi.
There’s something so innocent about animals. That’s why it’s extra funny when they fail. Take the featured GIF at the top here for example. That little kitty just wanted to get into that super fun-looking box. He was probably going to pretend he was in a tree or whatever cats think about during the day. Instead, he was catapulted through the air and slammed to the floor by that box of wonder while his two dog friends blink uncontrollably.
You won’t find GIFs of annoying girls who think they’re Beyonce or dumb people doing equally dumb things. No, only missed jumps and badly timed leaps dominate this adorably cringeworthy compilation of some of Japan’s favorite fail GIFs featuring animals. Enjoy!
Step aside cats, your reign as the cutest animal on the Internet is being challenged by a six year-old chinchilla from Singapore named Bubu. After seeing pictures of the adorable Bubu’s adventures from nuzzling up with a snowman to having a tea party with Hello Kitty, Japanese netizens were overcome by cuteness and went crazy for the fluffy, white chinchilla.
Click below to see 25 pictures of Bubu and see if you can overcome the natural reaction to scream out in joy at the sight of super cute cuddly creatures!
Hey, do you like animal butts? What am I saying, of course you do! Unfortunately, animals are wily and occasionally dangerous making it hard to get your hands on their rear ends.
That’s why (we guess) Tenyu has released Oppoppo, a collection of six animal butt simulation devices that are portable and can easily attach to your gym bag, key chain, or belt buckle!
We’ve all no doubt heard of the polite deer in the city of Nara that have learned to bow their heads to tourists in order to get food, but did you know that they also obey the law and know how to cross the road properly?
Check out these photos for one incredibly cute example of how to use a pedestrian crossing!
- Philip Kendall
Apr 1, 2013
A skeleton measuring 3.5 metres (11 feet 5 inches) in length has allegedly been discovered in waters off China’s Shandong Province.
The skeleton, which is believed to have a total of 153 joints, was found by fishermen in Qingdao on 28 March. Local camera crews and crowds of onlookers soon gathered to catch a glimpse of the strange creature, whose origins have yet to be confirmed.
- Philip Kendall
Nov 28, 2012
If there’s one thing Japanese people like to do it’s collect things. And when those things are small, cute or quirky characters, you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll fight to get the entire set!
In the land of gachapon (onomatopoeia for the sound of a turning mechanism followed by the drop of a ball or capsule) capsule toys and free collectable figures, mobile phone charms and stickers, confectioners Furuta are well known for their Choko Eggu (choco egg) series that include a collectable toy inside the chocolate shell, not unlike Kinder Surprise eggs sold in Europe and Canada.
Since 1999, the company has produced collectible figures including Disney, Marvel and Nintendo characters as well as scale models of automobiles and cars. The figures are always of incredibly high quality and, with the chocolate eggs being sold for just a few hundred yen each, they’re a big hit with children as well as adults. In 2006, however, the company’s animal figure series, which features everything from cute rabbits to ferocious-looking dinosaurs disappeared from shops, much to the disappointment of collectors.
But now, to delight model fans and kleptomaniacs alike, Furuta’s figures are being brought back to the market as stand-alone models, and Japanese collectors are already going nuts.
While filming at Murayama Zoo in Sapporo, visitors watched as a baby red panda, known as Gin, received a shock when his caretaker entered their pen to check if they had enough food left in their dish.
What might have caused most animals to simply jump a little, however, caused little Gin to fall over backwards, mouth open and limbs flailing like Sarah Connor when Arnold Schwarzeneggar comes out of the elevator in James Cameron’s Terminator 2…
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong1
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act2
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly3
- Amazing Lego artist spends six months bringing Hatsune Miku into the physical world4
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】5
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】6
- 70% of South Koreans will donate to fund for unity with North, want US and China to cough up too7
- Touching commercial pulls off a hat-trick to hit us right in the feels once again8
- Brutal four-panel comic explains why Japanese salaryman are trapped in their jobs9
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】6
- Ten-year-old illustrator getting national attention for his unique style of portraits7
- See what 13 stuffed toys look like after a wash at the home spa8
- We finally get to meet Goku’s mother — and we think she’s a real cutie!9
- Sad breakfasts the morning after a fight【Photos】10
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea1
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)2
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】3
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos4
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork5
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success6
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Admirers express their love for Crimean attorney general in the purest way they can: cute fan art9
- Who’s inside those theme park costumes? In China, it could be this 75-year-old woman10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】
- 70% of South Koreans will donate to fund for unity with North, want US and China to cough up too
- Touching commercial pulls off a hat-trick to hit us right in the feels once again
- Brutal four-panel comic explains why Japanese salaryman are trapped in their jobs
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Cat selfies are taking over the internet and they’re too funny to ignore!【Photos】
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】
- Sailors assemble! Artist reimagines the cast of Sailor Moon as Marvel’s Avengers
- Gross! Kindergarten teacher pees in his female colleagues’ tea
- Doraemon meets Dragon Ball in the weirdest mash up we’ve seen today
- Live-action Attack on Titan film casts lead role, sets filming location and start date
- Boot camps and desertion in the mountains among the ways Japanese companies train new recruits
- Sailor Moon in the City of Angels at LA art exhibit going on right now 【Photos】