Engrish, the comedic results when non-native speakers utilize English, is hilarious and when used on products and signs, the results are shared far and wide with great enjoyment. But sometimes it’s not just incorrect English that is really funny, sometimes it’s just the seemingly awkward usage of perfectly normal English. What do we mean exactly? Take apartment building, for example, which are notorious for sporting some of the most ridiculous names. Perhaps it’s for the best though, because sometimes it turns your modest accommodations into a luxurious palace! Would you like to live like British superstar Phil Collins? Would you like to live IN Phil Collins?!?
In Japan, places where people have died are considered bad luck, so unsurprisingly apartments where there has been a suicide, murder, or other death are rented at much cheaper prices than usual due to a lack of demand. However, real estate agencies are seeing a surge in people specifically seeking these kinds of ‘death rooms’. That may sound horribly morbid, but usually it’s not out of a desire to be close to death. Rather, for those who can put aside their culturally-ingrained reservations, it’s a way to save money during tough times.
- Casey Baseel
Mar 8, 2014
Before marriage compelled me to look for nicer living quarters, I lived in a an apartment that was….less than spacious. At first, I ate my meals off the top of my microwave, since it took several months of rearranging my belongings to create enough floor space for a low-lying table.
In the five years I lived in that bunker, I never did figure out a configuration which would allow me to cram a chair into it, but eventually I got used to having an extremely Spartan home. Even still, I don’t think I could manage living in the apartment of one Tokyoite, which measures just under five square meters (54 square feet).
Get a shiny new iPhone 5 for Christmas? Already own one but looking for a way to spruce it up for the new year? These covers may be just the ticket!
Designed by Japanese writer and photographer Ken Oyama, these snappy smartphone covers are sure to draw plenty of interested glances on your next train ride or visit to a trendy coffee-house.
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman2
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- Our Japanese correspondent’s report from his first-ever San Diego Comic-Con5
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing6
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan7
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!8
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】9
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- Toy Story’s Little Green Men arrive at Tokyo Disneyland in edible form, plus other new sweets
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Things Japanese women love (and hate) about foreign guys
- Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health reasons
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!