If you’re as introverted as I am, then the thought of public marriage proposals (whether on the giving, receiving, or spectating end) fills you with a deep, visceral horror. Popping the question in front of a big crowd is supposed to be romantic, but it also smacks a bit of desperation – with all these witnesses, how can she possibly say no? But what’s even MORE embarrassing is when your proposal is undeniably, horrifyingly lame, like when that one dude confessed his love to his girl with 99 iPhones, or in this case, where people actually got an aquarium tank diver to hold up cards with their proposal on. Nooooooooooooo!
Scott R Dixon
Jun 11, 2014
Japanese aquariums are a pretty popular destination for families during the summer break in July and August. As a part of Enoshima Aquarium’s 10th anniversary celebration, it is putting on a show called “Night Aquarium” where 3D projection mapping will make it seem like visitors have traveled to the deepest parts of the ocean.
Beginning on July 20, the special show will use the aquarium as a backdrop during the evening and project moving images of sea life around the awestruck sightseers. Although other aquariums have given visitors a rather intimate look at deep-sea creatures, this is the first time an aquarium has use this projection mapping technology and is sure to draw big crowds.
Goldfish, with their long tails resembling delicate brushstrokes painted in water, look like tiny works of art on their own. But place them in uniquely shaped vessels and you truly have a beautiful piece. Patrons will be able to experience just that at the ECO EDO Nihonbashi Art Aquarium 2014.
The exhibition houses nearly 5,000 goldfish in special art exhibitions that incorporate LED lights, projection mapping, music and scents, allowing patrons to experience “refreshing coolness” and “Japanese beauty” with all five senses.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 29, 2014
“Add a lot of cute decorations to the room we’re staying in!” says the blue goldfish with a matching blue tiara. No this isn’t a joke; uncommonly cute anthropomorphic goldfish are just a part of the marketing campaign for a completely customizable fish tank aimed at young children in Japan. With a fancy backdrop and jewels galore, it’s a far ways away from the plastic aquatic plant or bubbling clam shell in typical aquariums.
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You might claim that you’ve seen Santa fly through the air on Christmas Eve night, but have you ever seen Santa swim with the fishes? The Sunshine Aquarium in Tokyo hosts a special event during the month of December allowing patrons to witness the big man himself feed sharks, sunfish, and a turtle.
This little otter from Hiroshima is only four months old, but has already enamored Twitter users across Japan with its photogenic human-like expression.
Jul 26, 2013
About a week ago we announced the opening of an otter touching experience at Keikyu Aburatsubo Marine Park, and the response was huge. From Japan and all around the country people’s hearts melted at the sight of those gentle round eyes and long whiskers.
Managing to get a spot in the quickly filling reservations, one of our reported headed down to the Miura Peninsula to get all touchy-feely with a quartet of Asian small-clawed otters. She came back with this report and a slew of adorable pictures.
Kyoto may be well-known for its traditional buildings and breathtaking temples, but there’s also a different side to the city; one that’s totally modern and cute! Kyoto Aquarium is giving us a peek into the cute innovations going on in the city with an adorable range of sweet breads, available exclusively from their on-site cafes. This month, they’re paying homage to the frogs of Kyoto and the world with a new exhibit and some very unique additions to the menu.
Most people have probably wondered why fish on different levels of the food chain peacefully coexist together in aquariums. Every day, workers do their best to keep the fish well-fed to prevent any wayward snacking, so even though giant sharks slice through the temperature-controlled waters, none of the smaller fish go missing. However, when the sharks revert back to their normal feeding frenzy habits, it can have dramatic results as seen this past week at Kobe’s Suma Aqualife Park.
Mar 31, 2013
The Nagoyako Aquarium in Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, is experiencing an unusual problem — lazy sardines. That’s right, according to a recent story on Japanese newspaper Asahi’s digital site, the sardines at Nagoyako Aquarium are not behaving as they should, supposedly because “they have it too easy” in the protected environment of their tank. And in order not to disappoint visitors, it looks like the aquarium will have to call in the “tuna squad” to whip the sardines’ act into shape. But what could be causing these errant fish to misbehave? Read More
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll1
- Satisfy all your slicing and dicing needs with this incredibly kawaii kitty kitchen knife2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz4
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness5
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”6
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level7
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef8
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives9
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe10
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map4
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】5
- Teen whose Frozen chalkboard art went viral gets an art commission before a high school diploma6
- Thai celebrity posts video ranting about Chinese tourists turning orderly line into free-for-all7
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl8
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them9
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- We bought 21 packs of roasted shellfish to try to find a pearl – but did we get lucky?
- Bizarre video series gives pervy weirdos a glimpse of girls’ panties in very specific situations
- Saying “Will you go out with me?” is just a Japanese thing? Well…it’s complicated
- Used sumo loin cloth: One of the grossest items ever sold on the Internet
- Must try harder: This crane game in Japan is laughably bad 【Video】
- Japan government hard at work trying to prevent Shibuya Ward approving same-sex marriages
- Japanese tourist injured in Tunisian terrorist attack also attacked by Japanese media in hospital
- How washing your itasha makes it look more dirty than clean