If you’re as introverted as I am, then the thought of public marriage proposals (whether on the giving, receiving, or spectating end) fills you with a deep, visceral horror. Popping the question in front of a big crowd is supposed to be romantic, but it also smacks a bit of desperation – with all these witnesses, how can she possibly say no? But what’s even MORE embarrassing is when your proposal is undeniably, horrifyingly lame, like when that one dude confessed his love to his girl with 99 iPhones, or in this case, where people actually got an aquarium tank diver to hold up cards with their proposal on. Nooooooooooooo!
Scott R Dixon
Jun 11, 2014
Japanese aquariums are a pretty popular destination for families during the summer break in July and August. As a part of Enoshima Aquarium’s 10th anniversary celebration, it is putting on a show called “Night Aquarium” where 3D projection mapping will make it seem like visitors have traveled to the deepest parts of the ocean.
Beginning on July 20, the special show will use the aquarium as a backdrop during the evening and project moving images of sea life around the awestruck sightseers. Although other aquariums have given visitors a rather intimate look at deep-sea creatures, this is the first time an aquarium has use this projection mapping technology and is sure to draw big crowds.
Goldfish, with their long tails resembling delicate brushstrokes painted in water, look like tiny works of art on their own. But place them in uniquely shaped vessels and you truly have a beautiful piece. Patrons will be able to experience just that at the ECO EDO Nihonbashi Art Aquarium 2014.
The exhibition houses nearly 5,000 goldfish in special art exhibitions that incorporate LED lights, projection mapping, music and scents, allowing patrons to experience “refreshing coolness” and “Japanese beauty” with all five senses.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 29, 2014
“Add a lot of cute decorations to the room we’re staying in!” says the blue goldfish with a matching blue tiara. No this isn’t a joke; uncommonly cute anthropomorphic goldfish are just a part of the marketing campaign for a completely customizable fish tank aimed at young children in Japan. With a fancy backdrop and jewels galore, it’s a far ways away from the plastic aquatic plant or bubbling clam shell in typical aquariums.
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You might claim that you’ve seen Santa fly through the air on Christmas Eve night, but have you ever seen Santa swim with the fishes? The Sunshine Aquarium in Tokyo hosts a special event during the month of December allowing patrons to witness the big man himself feed sharks, sunfish, and a turtle.
This little otter from Hiroshima is only four months old, but has already enamored Twitter users across Japan with its photogenic human-like expression.
Jul 26, 2013
About a week ago we announced the opening of an otter touching experience at Keikyu Aburatsubo Marine Park, and the response was huge. From Japan and all around the country people’s hearts melted at the sight of those gentle round eyes and long whiskers.
Managing to get a spot in the quickly filling reservations, one of our reported headed down to the Miura Peninsula to get all touchy-feely with a quartet of Asian small-clawed otters. She came back with this report and a slew of adorable pictures.
Kyoto may be well-known for its traditional buildings and breathtaking temples, but there’s also a different side to the city; one that’s totally modern and cute! Kyoto Aquarium is giving us a peek into the cute innovations going on in the city with an adorable range of sweet breads, available exclusively from their on-site cafes. This month, they’re paying homage to the frogs of Kyoto and the world with a new exhibit and some very unique additions to the menu.
Most people have probably wondered why fish on different levels of the food chain peacefully coexist together in aquariums. Every day, workers do their best to keep the fish well-fed to prevent any wayward snacking, so even though giant sharks slice through the temperature-controlled waters, none of the smaller fish go missing. However, when the sharks revert back to their normal feeding frenzy habits, it can have dramatic results as seen this past week at Kobe’s Suma Aqualife Park.
Mar 31, 2013
The Nagoyako Aquarium in Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, is experiencing an unusual problem — lazy sardines. That’s right, according to a recent story on Japanese newspaper Asahi’s digital site, the sardines at Nagoyako Aquarium are not behaving as they should, supposedly because “they have it too easy” in the protected environment of their tank. And in order not to disappoint visitors, it looks like the aquarium will have to call in the “tuna squad” to whip the sardines’ act into shape. But what could be causing these errant fish to misbehave? Read More
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”1
- Ariana Grande is learning hiragana and Japan can’t stop talking about it2
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus3
- Friends too busy to go to the Pokémon Cafe? No problem! Pikachu himself will sit with you4
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop5
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick6
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite7
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time8
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?9
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin4
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”5
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out6
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it7
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China8
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck9
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- New garlic cola from Japan’s garlic capital is as surprising as its name proclaims
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it
- Japanese village converted into gorgeous open-air museum makes an easy day-trip escape from Tokyo