We certainly seem to have an affinity for bananas here in Japan. We love bananas so much, in fact, that we’ve even seen them made into sushi on occasion. So we guess it’s not unreasonable to expect banana bread to also be popular in Japan, which is apparently what the folks at Japanese confection maker Morinaga are counting on with their newly released ice cream product. Yes, their new Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich lets you have both banana bread and ice cream at the same time!
Sep 22, 2014
They feature so prominently in our Saturday morning cartoons and Charlie Chaplin movies that mankind has simply taken it as gospel that stepping on a banana peel will cause you to comically slip and fall with such a force that birds and stars will circle your head.
But did you know that until recently this was only a theory, unproven by a peer-reviewed scientific study? Thanks to the hard work done by Kiyoshi Mabuchi and his team at Kitasato University who were able to apply a frictional coefficient, we can unequivocally say that banana peels really are slippery when you step on them. Little wonder the group was awarded the 2014 Ig Nobel Prize in Physics.
Jul 17, 2014
Starting 19 July Fuji TV will be holding the “Odaiba Shintairiku” event featuring live performances from various artists along with other attractions.
Among these attractions is Izakaya Eguzairu, a bar and grill featuring dishes designed by the members of the top pop group Exile. While much of the menu is standard fare such as Hiro’s spaghetti or Aran Shirahama’s chicken and rice, it’s the dish dreamt up by vocalist Takahiro that has everyone saying “I want to eat Takahiro’s banana” online.
We sent our reporter Nakano-san in to get to the bottom of Takahiro’s Chocolate Banana.
May 5, 2014
Due to the nature of the Japanese language, it would seem that nearly every date can be somehow punned into a “holiday” from Tofu Day (Oct. 8) to Honey Day (Aug. 3). Of course these aren’t official public holidays but are often chances for companies to highlight their wares such as Pocky Day (Nov. 11) characterized by all the ones looking like Pocky sticks.
The newest on this long list is Gokusen Day (May 9) which celebrates the Gokusen Banana, the apex of Dole Japan’s years of banana growing technology. To celebrate Gokusen Day, Dole will be selling 59 of the very best of their already high-grade Gokusen Bananas.
Apr 25, 2014
Earlier this month we highlighted the work of banana engraver Keisuke Yamada. His highly detailed and potassium rich recreations of popular people and characters had made him something of a celebrity around Japan and abroad. In several of his TV interviews he had mentioned how he would like to see an increase in banana artists.
This inspired our own reporter Hotaru to take up the noble art of banana carving herself. So under the guise of a RocketNews24 reporter this future artist arranged an interview with Mr. Yamada, in hopes of secretly learning how to be a famous banana engraver herself.
It didn’t hurt that he was kind of cute too.
Apr 4, 2014
Sweet heavens, someone help us because we’re squirming half in delight and half in agony after seeing the newest press release from Starbucks Japan. Half in delight, because we’ve been given a glimpse of the divine-looking new Frappuccinos that will be coming out later this month, and half in agony because we can’t have them RIGHT NOW!
And unless you have a deadly hatred of sweets, we think you just may feel the same way after hearing the description of the two new banana and chocolate based Frappuccinos that were announced earlier this week. Yup, chocolate and banana — you really can’t go wrong with that combination!
Did your mom ever tell you not to play with your food? She was probably right, it’s not a nice thing to do when there are thousands of people who are struggling to afford proper meals each day. However, if you’re able to create an art piece out of your food, then we guess you’re in a league of your own. Like these banana tattoo artists, or this banana engraver from Japan who creates stunning replicas of famous characters using bananas!
Jan 25, 2014
The Tokyo Marathon 2014 is just a few weeks away, and hundreds of thousands of people are already pushing themselves that little bit harder during their daily training, not to mention paying extra attention to the food they eat, in preparation.
As in previous years, Dole Japan has stepped forward to sponsor the event, providing piles of hand-grown Lakatan bananas, which contain plenty of citric acid essential during exercise, for runners to munch on. This time around though, the company is awarding 200 runners with a very special bite to eat, or perhaps let sit on the shelf and slowly turn to mush: the Trophy Banana, complete with personalised message printed on the skin.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 6, 2013
You’ve been through a bubble wrap case, iPhone underpants, and even talked to your friend using a piece of toast, but those are just fads. You want something that will stand the test of time. Well, every little kid has used a banana as a phone, so why not transform your iPhone into a banana? It’s timeless.
It feels like yesterday when our reporter Kuzo travelled deep into China for find the fabled “melt-proof ice pop” named Banana – a vanilla ice cream encased in a protective gummy sheath. However, this year Banana has come to the world (under a variety of names such as Bennana in Japan), and this October it will reach the shores of Japan.
To celebrate, Banana’s maker Nestle held a “Banana Day” event in Harajuku, Tokyo on 7 August. Yet another punny Japanese holiday on a Japanese reading of “8/7”, it involved the giving away of free monkey ears, T-shirts, and of course Bennanas.
The image you see above is that of a standard banana parfait in Japan. Pleasing to the eye and undoubtedly delicious.
The image that comes after the break in this article, which was retweeted over 13,000 times after going viral in Japan earlier this week, is that of a banana parfait arranged to like a giant…you know…
Just check the image below.
Gather ‘round kiddies, it’s time for a RocketNews24 art lesson…IN 3D.. By that we mean the art, not the lesson itself. Today we’d like to share a super simple way to make your own 3D art!
Legend has it that in China there exists a frozen treat so incredibly powerful that it never melts, even if left in room temperature. RocketNews sent a reporter into the mysterious country to learn more about this potent popsicle of the gods.
The following takes place between 3:40pm and 6:50pm. Events occur in real time… if you’re really slow at reading.
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China5
- The detail on these Japanese dollhouses is amazing!6
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses7
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu8
- Team Japan’s goal keeper is awfully good at catching cats9
- We try beer with whipped cream on top…because we’re fancy10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- New plus-sized idol group hopes to broaden the image of beauty in Japan 【Video】6
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo7
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- With adult responsibilities looming, Japanese teen lets loose with epic Frozen chalkboard art10
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- The detail on these Japanese dollhouses is amazing!
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu
- Team Japan’s goal keeper is awfully good at catching cats
- We try beer with whipped cream on top…because we’re fancy
- Yokohama’s adorable hedgehog dumplings are packed with spikey cuteness and creamy custard
- Japanese village converted into gorgeous open-air museum makes an easy day-trip escape from Tokyo
- Japanese granny attempts to trash treasure trove of old photographs, is thwarted by grandkids
- Tokyo University campus has its own sushi restaurant where great dining meets higher education
- Yamagata high school baseball team becomes Twitter sensation with their impeccable manners
- Gear up for Valentine’s Day with this lipstick…chocolate!
- Fly-kicking good?! KFC Malaysia apologises after employees brawl in front of customers