The most popular images on the ‘Net are probably cats and cute girls, and the latest lovely ‘lady’ to draw the appreciative gaze of netizens is Lao Wan, the lead vocalist of a Taiwanese band called Green! Eyes. But of course, nothing is ever quite as it seems. Prepare to leave your gender preconceptions at the door.
While the meme above is probably nothing new to you, it took its time reaching Japanese Internet audiences. But now that it has shown up on this side of the ocean, we’ve learned something a bit surprising about Japanese rock fans.
Which instrument do you think was the most liked according to a recent online survey? We’ll give you a hint: Without it, the Red Hot Chili Peppers wouldn’t be nearly as much fun to listen to!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 15, 2013
Arriving in Japan late last week for two nights of shows, English band Muse – whose tracks have been featured on comedian-cum-doodler Tekken’s videos on multiple occasions – decided to let their hair down and take a walk through the streets of Tokyo.
Dressed, as one Japanese Twitter user comments, “like flamingoes”, however, they stuck out like a sore thumb and were soon snapped by fans and confused passers-by alike. Amateur photography and excited quotes a-plenty after the jump.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 7, 2012
Six years ago, a man inviting a group of girls to come and play with his Wii would probably have resulted in face slapping and a visit from the police, but here in 2012 everyone and their dog knows what a Wii is. And now, with the launch of the new Wii U, the next generation of remote-wielding gaming featuring a touchscreen-equipped controller, nerdy men the world over have a new toy to lure girls into their homes with.
The console supports up to four Wii remotes, plus the new touchscreen contoller, meaning that it’s one of the most group-oriented games consoles ever made, and just begs to be played by whole families or groups of friends.
But since RocketNews24 Japan‘s closest Wii U-owning pal (who we shall refer only as WiiMan to protect his nerdy identity) is a self-confessed part-time hemit and only ever gets to see the single-player modes of his games, he called his friend Kaori and invited her over for some multiplayer fun.
“A Wii U!?” Kaori said excitedly, “Definitely! I’ll bring my band friends with me! Don’t worry, they’re all cute.”
From home alone to a night of videogames with five cute girls in 90 seconds. WiiMan couldn’t believe his luck!
- “How many freakin’ CDs do I have to buy?” Fans displeased with idol group’s debut single1
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend2
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated3
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat4
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends5
- That scene from “Frozen” and 10 other fascinating jobs that have gone extinct6
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some7
- Japan continues to invent items it thinks you want!8
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love9
- We try McDonald’s Avocado Beef, see if it’s as lame as people on Twitter are suggesting10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】5
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act6
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】7
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes8
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】9
- Overseas reaction to Japanese My Little Pony dub is a little odd to Japanese people10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- That scene from “Frozen” and 10 other fascinating jobs that have gone extinct
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some
- Japan continues to invent items it thinks you want!
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love
- We try McDonald’s Avocado Beef, see if it’s as lame as people on Twitter are suggesting
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Japan’s king of curry restaurants enters the instant noodle market, we taste the results
- The incredible isolation of North Korea — In one map
- Meanwhile in China, Snoopy becomes the third party in a relationship, causes couple to break up
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly
- Local Fukuoka idol already breaking big across Japanese internet
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea