The most popular images on the ‘Net are probably cats and cute girls, and the latest lovely ‘lady’ to draw the appreciative gaze of netizens is Lao Wan, the lead vocalist of a Taiwanese band called Green! Eyes. But of course, nothing is ever quite as it seems. Prepare to leave your gender preconceptions at the door.
While the meme above is probably nothing new to you, it took its time reaching Japanese Internet audiences. But now that it has shown up on this side of the ocean, we’ve learned something a bit surprising about Japanese rock fans.
Which instrument do you think was the most liked according to a recent online survey? We’ll give you a hint: Without it, the Red Hot Chili Peppers wouldn’t be nearly as much fun to listen to!
Jan 15, 2013
Arriving in Japan late last week for two nights of shows, English band Muse – whose tracks have been featured on comedian-cum-doodler Tekken’s videos on multiple occasions – decided to let their hair down and take a walk through the streets of Tokyo.
Dressed, as one Japanese Twitter user comments, “like flamingoes”, however, they stuck out like a sore thumb and were soon snapped by fans and confused passers-by alike. Amateur photography and excited quotes a-plenty after the jump.
Dec 7, 2012
Six years ago, a man inviting a group of girls to come and play with his Wii would probably have resulted in face slapping and a visit from the police, but here in 2012 everyone and their dog knows what a Wii is. And now, with the launch of the new Wii U, the next generation of remote-wielding gaming featuring a touchscreen-equipped controller, nerdy men the world over have a new toy to lure girls into their homes with.
The console supports up to four Wii remotes, plus the new touchscreen contoller, meaning that it’s one of the most group-oriented games consoles ever made, and just begs to be played by whole families or groups of friends.
But since RocketNews24 Japan‘s closest Wii U-owning pal (who we shall refer only as WiiMan to protect his nerdy identity) is a self-confessed part-time hemit and only ever gets to see the single-player modes of his games, he called his friend Kaori and invited her over for some multiplayer fun.
“A Wii U!?” Kaori said excitedly, “Definitely! I’ll bring my band friends with me! Don’t worry, they’re all cute.”
From home alone to a night of videogames with five cute girls in 90 seconds. WiiMan couldn’t believe his luck!
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!2
- Pokémon fans’ heads exploding over guy’s classic Game Boy makeover video3
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year4
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV5
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account6
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously7
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea8
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan9
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】7
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】8
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover