Barbie, the popular fashion doll from America, has been a style icon ever since her creation back in 1959. Now, at the age of 55, the controversial bombshell is hitting the streets of Harajuku – quite literally - this time inside the clear soles of some amazing, if kind of creepy, shoes.
Jul 11, 2014
Human beings, as a species, have done some pretty amazing things. Spaceships and meatball subs, for instance, being two of man’s standout contributions to the universe. But, on the whole, we’re also kind of a species that shouldn’t be allowed to have nice things.
For every fantastic human invention, a handful of people will always show up to go way overboard and ruin it for everyone. College students pretty much ruined beer and parties for everybody, now we’ve got Tea Party advocates taking the generally pretty cool “car” concept and making them belch out thick, black smoke for seemingly no reason other than to be jerks to the environment and everyone in a 20-yard radius.
Oh, and you’ve got people like the newest “Living Barbie” who took cosmetic surgery and makeup and toys – all generally useful inventions – and used them to turn themselves into freakish nightmare fuel.
For the parents of the world who refuse to let their children play with gender non-confirming toys, Jian Yang from Singapore should serve as a warning to what may happen if you don’t let kids be kids. The 30-something professional wasn’t allowed to have a doll growing up, but started collecting them when he got older and is now the proud owner of roughly 9,000 dolls.
While he hasn’t gone as far as some doll enthusiasts to sate their obsession, he has spent at least US$350,000 in the last 20 years on his ever-growing collection. Click below to see pictures of Yang’s enormous stash and to learn more about what drives this self-described “toy nerd” to buy this many dolls!
May 7, 2014
A Brazilian cosmetic surgery addict admits that he has spent around US$150,000 chasing the dream of looking like a Ken doll come to life.
Rodrigo Alves, who recently acknowledged that he suffers from body dysmorphia and is seeking therapy, says he’s undergone around 20 separate surgeries to achieve his goal. Just some of the operations included: arm fillers and pectoral implants, ab implants, calf reshaping, numerous nose jobs, botox injections and several rounds of liposuction. Presumably he also paid good money on eye surgery to get that perfect Ken doll “soulless gaze.”
Apr 6, 2014
There must be something in the water…or maybe in the atmosphere? Well, whatever it is, the ranks of the “Real Barbie” army seem to only be growing faster! All across the world, new recruits keep appearing, one after another, in the most…peculiar of forms.
Our most recent example hails from China and has garnered quite a bit of attention in her native country–and has gotten noticed in Japan as well. But what will her role be in the Real Barbie plans for world conquest?
All right, we’ve already told you in past articles about how Christmas is a huge romantic event for couples in Japan. Well, how about making the event a little bit more fun (or naughty, depending on how you roll) with a cute Barbie-style Christmas costume from major Japanese discount chain store Don Quijote? That’s right, ladies: donning one of these could be a huge treat for the special man in your life … provided he’s been good this year, of course!
We’ve already introduced you to the cosmetically enhanced “real-life Barbie” and the make-up skills of the doe-eyed “Anime Girl,” but we have one more eerily lifeless model for you to get acquainted with. Also known as “Russian Barbie Girl,” Anzhelika Kenova is shocking the Internet with her doll-like features.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 14, 2013
Valeria Lukyanova, better known as “real-life Barbie” shocked the world with her cosmetically enhanced plastic-like face which makes her look like a living, breathing Barbie doll. Even more shocking was when fellow Ukrainian, Anastasiya Shpagina, aka Animé Girl, teamed up with real-life Barbie, creating the world’s creepiest photo shoot.
Now her friends and family, including her grandparents, are getting in on the creepy action, covering their faces in gaudy makeup and striking rigor mortis-inspired poses. Try to hold back your gasps of horror when viewing these photos of real-life Barbie and her real-life friends and family made up to look like dolls.
When will the madness end?!
Two girls from the Ukraine have made a splash around the world with their unusual aesthetic choices.
First we have newcomer, 19 year-old Anastasiya Shpagina, who’s industrial strength make-up job transforms her into three dimensional warm blooded anime girl. In the other corner we have 21 year-old Valeria Lukyanova, who surprised the world with her appearance of a “Real Barbie Doll” which is rumored to be the result of extensive plastic surgery.
And now for the first time these two titans of body modification collide for a photo shoot of epic disproportions.
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return1
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute4
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea5
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious6
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google7
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters8
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage9
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- Want to make music, but can’t play an instrument? Casio app turns your hums into full tracks!
- Tokyo train delayed due to the strangest of reasons
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Man arrested for robbery in Shandong had just visited temple to give thanks for not getting caught
- New Lotte chewing gum promotion features cool guys to suit every taste