Barbie, the popular fashion doll from America, has been a style icon ever since her creation back in 1959. Now, at the age of 55, the controversial bombshell is hitting the streets of Harajuku – quite literally – this time inside the clear soles of some amazing, if kind of creepy, shoes.
Jul 11, 2014
Human beings, as a species, have done some pretty amazing things. Spaceships and meatball subs, for instance, being two of man’s standout contributions to the universe. But, on the whole, we’re also kind of a species that shouldn’t be allowed to have nice things.
For every fantastic human invention, a handful of people will always show up to go way overboard and ruin it for everyone. College students pretty much ruined beer and parties for everybody, now we’ve got Tea Party advocates taking the generally pretty cool “car” concept and making them belch out thick, black smoke for seemingly no reason other than to be jerks to the environment and everyone in a 20-yard radius.
Oh, and you’ve got people like the newest “Living Barbie” who took cosmetic surgery and makeup and toys – all generally useful inventions – and used them to turn themselves into freakish nightmare fuel.
For the parents of the world who refuse to let their children play with gender non-confirming toys, Jian Yang from Singapore should serve as a warning to what may happen if you don’t let kids be kids. The 30-something professional wasn’t allowed to have a doll growing up, but started collecting them when he got older and is now the proud owner of roughly 9,000 dolls.
While he hasn’t gone as far as some doll enthusiasts to sate their obsession, he has spent at least US$350,000 in the last 20 years on his ever-growing collection. Click below to see pictures of Yang’s enormous stash and to learn more about what drives this self-described “toy nerd” to buy this many dolls!
May 7, 2014
A Brazilian cosmetic surgery addict admits that he has spent around US$150,000 chasing the dream of looking like a Ken doll come to life.
Rodrigo Alves, who recently acknowledged that he suffers from body dysmorphia and is seeking therapy, says he’s undergone around 20 separate surgeries to achieve his goal. Just some of the operations included: arm fillers and pectoral implants, ab implants, calf reshaping, numerous nose jobs, botox injections and several rounds of liposuction. Presumably he also paid good money on eye surgery to get that perfect Ken doll “soulless gaze.”
Apr 6, 2014
There must be something in the water…or maybe in the atmosphere? Well, whatever it is, the ranks of the “Real Barbie” army seem to only be growing faster! All across the world, new recruits keep appearing, one after another, in the most…peculiar of forms.
Our most recent example hails from China and has garnered quite a bit of attention in her native country–and has gotten noticed in Japan as well. But what will her role be in the Real Barbie plans for world conquest?
All right, we’ve already told you in past articles about how Christmas is a huge romantic event for couples in Japan. Well, how about making the event a little bit more fun (or naughty, depending on how you roll) with a cute Barbie-style Christmas costume from major Japanese discount chain store Don Quijote? That’s right, ladies: donning one of these could be a huge treat for the special man in your life … provided he’s been good this year, of course!
We’ve already introduced you to the cosmetically enhanced “real-life Barbie” and the make-up skills of the doe-eyed “Anime Girl,” but we have one more eerily lifeless model for you to get acquainted with. Also known as “Russian Barbie Girl,” Anzhelika Kenova is shocking the Internet with her doll-like features.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 14, 2013
Valeria Lukyanova, better known as “real-life Barbie” shocked the world with her cosmetically enhanced plastic-like face which makes her look like a living, breathing Barbie doll. Even more shocking was when fellow Ukrainian, Anastasiya Shpagina, aka Animé Girl, teamed up with real-life Barbie, creating the world’s creepiest photo shoot.
Now her friends and family, including her grandparents, are getting in on the creepy action, covering their faces in gaudy makeup and striking rigor mortis-inspired poses. Try to hold back your gasps of horror when viewing these photos of real-life Barbie and her real-life friends and family made up to look like dolls.
When will the madness end?!
Two girls from the Ukraine have made a splash around the world with their unusual aesthetic choices.
First we have newcomer, 19 year-old Anastasiya Shpagina, who’s industrial strength make-up job transforms her into three dimensional warm blooded anime girl. In the other corner we have 21 year-old Valeria Lukyanova, who surprised the world with her appearance of a “Real Barbie Doll” which is rumored to be the result of extensive plastic surgery.
And now for the first time these two titans of body modification collide for a photo shoot of epic disproportions.
- 4 Things women are banned from doing in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】1
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning2
- We love Daiso, but sometimes the weird products just amuse us3
- No girlfriend at Christmas? Why not date your female self?4
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing5
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea6
- Vocaloid takes over teen karaoke scene, more than half of 2014’s top 20 songs synthetic7
- Big Hero 6 ads in Japan leave out the action, moviegoers surprised to find awesome robot flick8
- Former kimono painter turned ukiyo-e artist dazzles with exquisite modern-day paintings9
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】6
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG7
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】8
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website9
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Vocaloid takes over teen karaoke scene, more than half of 2014’s top 20 songs synthetic
- Big Hero 6 ads in Japan leave out the action, moviegoers surprised to find awesome robot flick
- Former kimono painter turned ukiyo-e artist dazzles with exquisite modern-day paintings
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- One Piece becoming a kabuki play with the Straw Hat Pirates taking the stage in Tokyo
- Coming to Harajuku? Check out this new tourist booth for maps, Wi-Fi, crêpes and more!