An uninhabited island, Big Major Cay, located in Exuma of the Bahamas, is home to what are arguably the world’s happiest pigs! More commonly known as Pig Island or Pig Beach by the locals, this tropical getaway is famous for none other than its adorable swimming pigs!
The Maldives has always been a popular honeymoon destination, known for its crystal clear waters, gorgeous beaches and glamorous, resort-style accommodation. As if the area wasn’t romantic enough, at night there’s a breathtaking natural phenomenon that transforms its shores into glimmering waves of iridescent blue. One visitor who stumbled on the unbelievable sight likened it to the starry night skies of the Milky Way and took to the internet to find out the cause of the mysterious occurrence.
- Scott R Dixon
Mar 10, 2014
For the second year in a row, Thailand’s Ko Tao nabbed the title of “Asia’s Best Island” from the travel website Trip Advisor. Located in the Gulf of Thailand, the island barely covers 21 square km (8.1 square miles) but the crystal clear and very peaceful waters have earned it international fame among divers.
Between beautiful white sand beaches, the 300 sunny days per year and the chance to swim alongside whale sharks, click below to find out more about why travelers chose Ko Tao as Asia’s best island!
Enoshima is a popular summer beach front located just southwest of Tokyo in Kanagawa Prefecture. The area is well-known for numerous attractions around the island, its long stretch of sandy beach, great wind-surfing spots, and the quaint little tourist shops and restaurants along the walk to the water’s edge. Japanese vacationers and tourists alike come to this area because of it’s close proximity to the big city and coastal charm.
First-time travelers to Japan might not know, but over in the land of the rising sun, walking while eating food is considered a social faux paux. It may be the same in other countries across the world, but North Americans often find this aversion to eating on-the-go a bit surprising at first. But fear not because there’s an exception to every rule. Japan loves their food stands in the summer and bends the rules when it comes to deliciously portable fare like yakitori, takoyaki, and other festival food.
The walk to Enoshima beach and the island beyond is full of stands and small eateries, so feel free to pick up some dango on your way to the beach and munch with your companions! Here are some recommended stops for delicious take-away food to nibble during your vacation stroll.
Just when he thought it was safe to go back in the water – a girl’s guide to gettin’ a guy at the beach
- Cara Clegg
Jul 8, 2013
Summer’s the perfect time for romance. You’ll catch couples snuggling on the train, at the department store, in the corner of the café where they think nobody can see them – newsflash, we can. There’s so much sweaty, bare flesh on show, people just can’t keep their hands off each other. And the absolute worst place for sickening displays of “get a room” is at the beach. What is it about the swelling waves and blazing sun that makes people stick together like sand to your bikini bottoms.
But no matter how much you might have the urge to cling, it’s no good if you don’t have a partner to endure your affections. For anyone looking for some summer lovin’, this guide–penned by our very own sister-site writer and native Japanese, Kanako–is for you.
Ever sunbathed topless? How about totally nude? Expedia conducted an opinion poll across 21 countries to gather information on people’s holiday habits, and managed to slip in some cheeky questions on how much clothing people were willing to do without at the beach.
- Casey Baseel
May 26, 2013
Summer is almost here, and in Japan that means two things. First, high humidity and the profuse sweating that comes with it. But second, summer is also the season of hot, passionate, romance.
Unfortunately, this spring has again found our intrepid reporter Mr. Sato unable to find a girlfriend, but he’s ready to wipe the slate clean and give it his all this summer. We decided it was best to get Mr. Sato a little practice, so he’d have a good running start before the season of love gets fully underway. To that end, he asked out idol singer Sayaka Shiotani from vocal unit Pureful. Like all women, she is powerless to resist the charms of a RocketNews24 writer, and so of course said yes.
“Honestly though, I don’t have much experience with girls, and I’m not even really sure how to talk to them,” he tells us. Well, as a wise man once said, when you’re trying to pick up girls, use humor. And if you’re not funny, use alcohol. Read More
Just 45 Minutes From Haneda Airport, And I’ve been Flying to Okinawa like a Chump! – Six Things That Make Hachijō-jima a Hidden Gem
- Philip Kendall
Sep 10, 2012
Technically a ward of Tokyo, Hachijō-jima (Hachijō Island) is just 45 minutes away by plane, making it an incredibly accessible get-away destination. Despite being so close, few people have actually visited, or even heard of, the island, and whenever they’re asked to think of an “island holiday location”, most people living in Japan immediately respond with “Okinawa”. That’s only natural, of course, since Okinawa has a well-earned reputation for being an exotic island paradise (and for being the home of The Karate Kid’s Mr Miyagi…), but we hope that after reading this article our readers might also consider Hachijō-jima the next time they feel like jetting off for a break on the beach. Read More
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit2
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life3
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it4
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”5
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place6
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend7
- The Whimsy Bomb! College Humor splices Studio Ghibli movies with other popular anime series8
- Two months is a lifetime: Cancer-stricken 22-year-old gets married in the hospital9
- “Miniature Calendar” reveals a magical world where tiny people live among our things【Photos】10
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly4
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated5
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit6
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends7
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love8
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together9
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend
- The Whimsy Bomb! College Humor splices Studio Ghibli movies with other popular anime series
- Two months is a lifetime: Cancer-stricken 22-year-old gets married in the hospital
- “Miniature Calendar” reveals a magical world where tiny people live among our things【Photos】
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like
- Raw fish, fermented soy beans, and Chinese food: Japan’s 7 weirdest parfaits
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- Those freaky Hello Kitty contact lenses are back, and this time she brought friends!
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate
- Healthy ice cream? Well, these new Häagen-Dazs vegetable flavors at least sound healthy!
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious