With the highly anticipated Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios Japan having just opened this week to great fanfare, owls seem to be the hot “animal of the hour” at the moment in Japan. (Plus, we think owls are pretty cool-looking birds to begin with even without the Harry Potter factor!) In that spirit, one of the reporters from our sister site Pouch recently visited a bird cafe in the Asakusa area of Tokyo, where you can interact with numerous species of owls, yes, but also parakeets and even some falcons as well! Since we’d already had such an awesome time at the owl cafe in Tsukishima, we knew we were going to thoroughly enjoy this visit too. And you can’t really blame us for wanting to share our photos of all the cute owls with you, can you? If you’ve ever been fascinated by owls, we think you’ll be impressed at how up-close and personal you can get with the birds once you’ve seen the pictures!
Flight has long captivated humanity–we’ve built flying contraptions for centuries for a reason. While ornithopters–flying devices that use flapping bird-like wings–certainly seem like a good idea, they rarely seem to work out as well as fixed wing aircraft. However, that hasn’t stopped us from trying to get closer and closer to the flight of birds, inspiring numerous individuals and companies alike.
In fact, robots that mimic bird flight are already commercially available, but one Japanese man decided to take it upon himself to try building his own at home. Basing it off of Festo’s SmartBird, the remote-controlled robot flaps, glides, and banks almost like a real bird. The robot bird even proved life-like enough to actually attract the attention of four actual black kites midair! Check out the birds–robotic and organic–dancing through the sky below!
When you think about all the power our modern devices burn through each day, particularly when some of us leave our gear switched on when it really needn’t be, it seems like a tremendous waste. So why not put some of that lost heat energy to good use and keep your pets warm?*
We’re not new to the combination of weddings and doves. Many couples fancy adding a romantic touch to their special day by releasing doves. To most of us, the white birds symbolize love and peace. But to some others, they simply mean: FREE FOOD!
A Chinese couple released close to a hundred doves after their wedding photography session, but little did they expect to attract a bird hunting crowd!
On 28 August police and motorists in Shiojiri and Matsumoto cities in Nagano Prefecture had to deal with nearly a half an hour of dead traffic lights. The cause of this menace was none other than mankind’s greatest airborne threat – bird droppings.
- Master Blaster
Jun 27, 2013
In a rare feat of feathered flight, a racing pigeon from Japan has managed to somehow traverse the entire Pacific Ocean and wind up on the west coast of Canada. Sadly, the pigeon’s original owner wasn’t willing to pay to have the brave bird brought back, but things have ended up working out well for the little guy.
Now here’s something you don’t see every day.
Not wanting to be outdone by the pure white heart fish spotted in Ishikawa prefecture, representing the skies this week is a pure white crow spotted in the Chūgoku region of Japan. With dazzling white feathers and clear blue eyes, this feathered fellow has even managed to find his way into the local media.
Anyone thinking of traveling to the northern Japanese prefecture of Akita in the near future may want to make sure the power is online first seeing as an adult male Southern Cassowary — said to be the deadliest bird in the world — escaped into the wild early last Friday.
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman2
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing5
- Toy Story’s Little Green Men arrive at Tokyo Disneyland in edible form, plus other new sweets6
- Our Japanese correspondent’s report from his first-ever San Diego Comic-Con7
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial8
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares9
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Toy Story’s Little Green Men arrive at Tokyo Disneyland in edible form, plus other new sweets
- Our Japanese correspondent’s report from his first-ever San Diego Comic-Con
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos