The folks from YouTube channel TMD Shanghai are back with yet another quirky observational video about life in China. After nailing the differences between girls in the north and those in the south and mercilessly sending up both single white and Chinese men, this time they’re here to talk about what it’s like to be black in China with a video titled, well, Being Black in China.
Nov 26, 2013
In most countries, walking around the streets wearing a white surgical mask would likely draw stares from those around you. People may even cross the street to avoid whatever plague they think you’re harboring. However, in urban Japan it’s hard to walk down the street without seeing someone in such medical-looking garb, especially during peak allergy seasons.
Despite this, there seems to be an unwritten rule that all face masks should be white. You might see an occasional designer mask with a logo or floral print, but by and large seeing anyone wearing a surgical mask other than white is kind of rare. However, a new brand of mask with the unfortunate name of B.M is challenging this social convention by being pitch black.
The Thailand office of American doughnut chain, Dunkin’ Donuts, has been unrolling a unique line of doughnuts since August of this year. All of these 27 doughnuts have one thing in common: They’re black as midnight.
But that’s just the tip of this ebony iceberg. We’ve seen black food hit the scene before but these doughnuts took a year in the making as Dunkin’ Donuts carefully selected what they thought were the best combination of ingredients. What they came up with is interesting to say the least. Some flavors will make you drool, some will make you cringe, but they’ll all make you interested.
Aside from their yearly Big America burgers, McDonald’s Japan is usually mild-mannered when it comes to gimmicky burgers. Burger King Japan, however, is the flashy, too-much-making-wearing stepsister of the far more popular McDonald’s. From the Pumpkin Bomb Burger, filled with deep-fried pieces of kabocha to the BK RiNGO Burger filled with grilled slices of apples and cinnamon, BK Japan has produced their fair share of shocking burgers.
Arguably the most shocking burger to grace the “BK Lounge” was the completely black Kuro Burger, released in September.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 10, 2012
Isonokatsuo is a ramen shop in Suskino, the drinking district of Sapporo, Hokkaido, that opens its shutters around the time the city night life starts revving up into full swing and continues to serve up hot bowls of noodles until 7 o’clock the next morning.
All-night ramen shops are not unheard of in Japan, but Isonokatsuo is known for making ramen so delicious that people line up for it in the middle of the cold Sapporo night. On a recent trip to Hokkaido, one of our reporters decided to burn the midnight chili oil and try out Isonokatsuo for himself.
Check his report below!
Rest stops in Japan tend to be a little different from their western counterparts. Aside from offering drivers a chance to stretch their legs and powder their noses, they often offer unique goods characteristic of the area. Sometimes the rest stops are even the final destinations for summer road trips.
A perfect example of a unique rest stop is the Ranzan Parking Area (RPA) in Saitama prefecture along the Kanetsu Expressway. Here you can get your hands on two specialty dishes, ice cream and curry, both black as midnight.
And before you say it: no, neither dishes use squid ink.
Sep 22, 2012
Burger King is currently celebrating their 5th year in Japan. But in an already saturated fast food market the famous American chain is a little late to the game.
So, in an effort to truly stand out from the crowd, Burger King Japan has designed fast food’s first black hamburger. Dubbed the Kuro Burger (lit. Black Burger), it will go on sale for a limited time starting 28 September.
Summer is a competitive time for beverage companies, who duke it out to get those thirsty, hot customers. Actually, manufacturers (as well as regular people) are still contending this year with a lean, electricity-short summer, a season when the demand for power understandably goes up. Amid all these circumstances, those of you who yearn for an unsweet soft drink should have a crack at ‘Pepsi Black’, coming mid-June.
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll2
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”3
- How do deep-fried frog burgers taste? We find out at Yokohama cafe 【Taste test】4
- Satisfy all your slicing and dicing needs with this incredibly kawaii kitty kitchen knife5
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef6
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz7
- Tokyo chain puts french fries on soba noodles, proves dreams really can come true8
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level9
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness10
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map4
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】5
- Teen whose Frozen chalkboard art went viral gets an art commission before a high school diploma6
- Thai celebrity posts video ranting about Chinese tourists turning orderly line into free-for-all7
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl8
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them9
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz
- Tokyo chain puts french fries on soba noodles, proves dreams really can come true
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- Must try harder: This crane game in Japan is laughably bad 【Video】
- Breaking: An increasing number of cats sitting weirdly
- We bought 21 packs of roasted shellfish to try to find a pearl – but did we get lucky?
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo
- Japanese tourist injured in Tunisian terrorist attack also attacked by Japanese media in hospital
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them