In Japan, the New Years is traditionally a time for eating osechi cuisine, and while tastes and lifestyles may be changing, come New Years Day, many people will be eating at least some of these special new year foods. And once all the new years festivities have passed, it’s quite understandable if some of the Japanese public ends up yearning for something a bit more oily and rich. Well, Burger King Japan has just announced a new series of menus that just may fit the bill in such a situation. It’s Burger King Japan’s new “cheese fondue” menu, featuring items that allow you to create fondues out of … you guessed it, hamburgers!
Nov 18, 2014
The moment it was unveiled earlier this week, dozens of English-language blogs and news sites slammed Burger King Japan’s new seasonal offering, suggesting that the very notion of a hamburger topped with berries and slathered with a sweet pink sauce sounded about as appetising as a sweetfish hotdog served with a side of sick.
Aside from the occasional slice of pineapple, it is indeed rare to find fruit slipped between a hamburger’s buns, but knowing how well meats like turkey and pork go with sweet and sticky glazes and sauces, we at RocketNews24 remained optimistic that Burger King was not in fact trying to kill us with its latest creation, and headed down to try it for ourselves.
And as it turns out, the Premium Berry burger is actually kind of awesome.
Oct 31, 2014
For a country known for its restaurants serving relatively small portions of foods, Japan sure seems to love all-you-can-eat campaigns (although occasionally, things don’t go quite as planned at these events). Well, if you love meat and lots of it, we have good news for you. Burger King Japan’s popular all-you-can eat Whooper campaign is coming back again this year, so get ready to have your fill of big, juicy hamburgers!!
Sep 23, 2014
Burger King recently launched two new hamburgers in Japan that feature black buns and cheese with matching squid ink black sauce. Ads, like the one above, made the burgers look pretty unappetizing. But the burgers, known as the Kuro Diamond and Kuro Pearl, look even worse in reality.
Here are some examples:
Sep 11, 2014
Regular RocketNews24 readers will no doubt already be aware that fast food chains in Japan like to mix things up every so often by giving their buns a splash of colour. In the past 12 months alone, we’ve seen McDonald’s present a Sakura Pink teriyaki egg burger in time for the cherry blossom, and last October Burger King rocked a Black Ninja Burger which sported charcoal-black buns and a huge tongue-like slab of bacon.
This week, Burger King has taken its worship of the darkness a step further with two more jet-black offerings: the Kuro Diamond and Kuro Pearl, which feature not just black buns, but slices of cheese and a tangy sauce that look dark enough to swallow any would-be diners whole.
Aug 13, 2014
Every now and again, the Japanese branches of McDonald’s roll out what they call the Big America burgers. Each one is named after a place in the US and has a subtle nod to the region through its ingredients, such as the chili-soaked Texas burger.
The thing is, in the U.S. we don’t call that a Texas burger, we call it a chili burger. Likewise, going into anywhere other than a Japanese McDonald’s and asking for a Broadway or Idaho burger is going to leave the staff confused and you hungry.
It’s always seemed a little strange that there’s no California burger, since that’s an established dish with a standard recipe, being avocado slices on a burger. Well, if McDonald’s won’t do it, Burger King Japan will, and even without a tip of the hat to the Golden State, their new lineup of burgers is packed with avocado.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jun 7, 2014
Burger King Japan has just announced the “60th Anniversary ‘B’iKing Battle,” inviting anyone with the stomach and speed for eating seven Whoppers in half an hour to apply. Sounds pretty sweet, right? Maybe…we have a feeling the grand prize is the last thing participants will want to receive after polishing off two-days’ worth of calories.
Japan has always had a knack for taking Western ideas and turning them on their head, churning out some weird and wonderful gems in the process. So it’s not surprising that the fast food world in Japan is an absolute goldmine of unusual creations and bizarre taste sensations. From towering burgers to chocolate sauces, we take a look at some of the most mind-boggling limited edition releases we’ve seen in Japan over recent years.
Burger King has raised some eyebrows with its latest menu addition in China, called the “PooPoo Smoothie.”
The drink as similar to a Taiwanese boba tea, or bubble tea, and has pulp-like “pearls” inside that are supposed to “explode in your mouth upon consumption,” according to the Daily Meal.
It’s no surprise that the fast food market is a competitive one, particularly in Japan where restaurants go to great lengths to create the most unique items to bring in the customers.
This time, Burger King Japan has announced a new breakfast line-up of unique items not often found in fast food joints. At the head of this new seven-item menu is the wonderful Spam & Cheese for 260 yen (US$2.54).
And now, due to popular demand, we have the taste test you’ve all been waiting for: the King’s Dog from Burger King. Ever since news of the hot dog offering from the fast food burger chain was released, we’d been anticipating its arrival. Boasting an extra-large sausage 2.5 times the thickness of a regular Burger King hot dog, we bought one of each to really see how the King’s Dog weighs up.
Hot on the heels of McDonald’s Japan’s announcement of its spring-themed Sakura Teriyaki Burger, Burger King Japan has just revealed a new product of its own, and it looks to be quite the mouthful. This, ladies and gentlemen of the cholesterol-loving world, is the King’s Dog (and yes, that’s “dog” without an “n”, boys at the back), which packs in roughly five times the meaty goodness of a regular Burger King hot dog.
Jan 29, 2014
Even as someone who can always appreciate a tasty hamburger, there’s a quandary I face whenever I go out to satisfy my beef-based sandwich needs. Your standard burger gives you plenty of protein from the meat, some nice carbs from the bread, and even a scattering of veggies between the buns, but it’s hard to get your fruit fix at a burger emporium.
Or, more accurately, it was, until Burger King Japan started offering two hamburgers with slices of grilled apple. We traveled to one of Burger King’s branches in Yokohama to try both on the day of their release, but they weren’t the only discoveries waiting for us. So come along with us as we present the ABCs (apples, booze, and couches) that make Burger King different in Japan.
【Thursday Throwback】We order a Whopper with 1,050 bacon strips, Struggle to level comically huge burger
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 22, 2013
Thursday Throwback is your peek into the archives of RocketNews24. We’d hate for you to miss any of the quality quirky news from Asia and Japan just because you recently stumbled on our site. And if you’re a devout RN24 reader, thank you for your continued readership! Enjoy this blast from the past!
(Originally posted on April 19, 2012 by Steven)
Well that didn’t take long. Just yesterday we shared the story of how our own Mr. Sato capitalized on Burger King Japan’s current 15 bacon strips for 100 yen (US $1.20) promotion by ordering a Whopper with 105 bacon strips. While Mr. Sato managed to finish the burger, he didn’t seem to be in the best shape afterwards, falling into a meat-induced coma and then suddenly breaking out of it only to run out of the room with his hand covering his mouth.
Surely we thought Mr. Sato had finally learned his lesson that consuming stacks of bacon is a task better left to professionals. So imagine our surprise when he came in the office holding a plastic bag sagging under the weight of a 1,050 bacon strip Whopper.
Burger King is bringing on the bizarre burgers once again with their new “Kuro Ninja,” a burger with a black bun and long, thick strip of bacon protruding out of one side. We’re not sure if ninjas ever stuck their tongues out at their enemies, but if they did and they were somehow magically transformed into a burger, this is what they’d look like.
Wish you could just stuff your face with burgers until you explode? So do we. That’s why you’ll find our staff down at Burger King on August 30 enjoying the all-you-can-eat Burger King feast that will be going on for one day only.
Aug 4, 2013
You’d think people would have gotten the hint after the ice cream freezer diver got himself fired and his local Lawson convenience store shut down. But some people just need to learn their lessons the hard way.
After all, it wouldn’t be a wasted youth if you didn’t waste it, right? And, you have to admit, experience is the best teacher! (Don’t tell Ms. Yamaguchi we said that!)
So, just what is this Burger King employee taking a dive into?
Jul 19, 2013
We’re still searching for that perfect way to survive summer, whether it be by eating cow tongue ice cream or tossing water onto the street. However, Burger King claims they have the answer we’ve all been looking for: grilled meat, fried garlic, and lots of both.
Starting on 26 July they will be releasing two sandwiches as part of their Summer Stamina series dubbed the Garlic Meat Monster and Garlic Double Cheese.
Burger King is celebrating its sixth year in Japan with a month of half price specials! From now to July 7, Burger King stores across Japan will be taking part in the campaign, with four of their popular products receiving a 50 percent price cut.
Apr 4, 2013
Word has been swirling in the weeks leading up to the release of Burger King’s “anime viewing hamburger” which, as its name suggests, is a burger designed to be enjoyed while watching anime. Watching anime certainly would be an ideal snacking time, so the concept seems solid, but how is it really?
Our fast food specialist Kuzo went to investigate. Here is his report.
- Miso soup anime ads are so touching they’ll warm your heart as the soup warms your tummy1
- Suntory encourages responsible drinking with bizarre guide to declining party invitations2
- Japanese tourist gets lost in Windsor Castle, wanders into Queen’s private rooms3
- In Neo Tokyo this weekend? Check out the bizarre “Bartkira” project exhibition4
- Japan’s newest idol group, KBG84, hails from Okinawa, has an average age of 845
- Resort in the Philippines decides to stop ripping off Gundam, rip off another robot instead6
- We go to Kanazawa to meet Bao, the miniature pig who works in a pork restaurant【Video】7
- Sakura Gakuin Welcome an Ewok from outer space as a transfer student in the MV for “Aogeba Toutoshi ~ from Sakura Gakuin 2014~”8
- McDonald’s Japan introduces Hawaiian-inspired menu, netizens can’t get over the pancakes9
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】10
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby1
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens2
- ISIS-inspired gang kills middle school boy: “We’ll cut off your head while you’re still alive!”3
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】4
- Fan film ‘Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope’ – two years in the making, but well worth the wait【Video】5
- Japanese netizens rediscover “Full Armor Game Boy,” question how the ’90s defined portability6
- “Hell on Earth” as Tokyo subway station floods with sewage7
- Online seller pulls cruel trick, sells pencil lead photographed alongside Nintendo 3DS XL8
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!9
- Revenge bento show us it’s a dish best served cold (and boxed) with insults and hidden chilies10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】3
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens4
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it5
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】6
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead7
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet8
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved9
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】8
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones9
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】10
- Resort in the Philippines decides to stop ripping off Gundam, rip off another robot instead
- We go to Kanazawa to meet Bao, the miniature pig who works in a pork restaurant【Video】
- Sakura Gakuin Welcome an Ewok from outer space as a transfer student in the MV for “Aogeba Toutoshi ~ from Sakura Gakuin 2014~”
- McDonald’s Japan introduces Hawaiian-inspired menu, netizens can’t get over the pancakes
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】
- Tokyo ramen shops trying serving “boob ramen,” ends up looking like “phallic ramen” instead
- Godzilla appears in the Tokyo skyline atop new Shinjuku skyscraper! 【Photos】
- Prince William meets Domokun and has other fun adventures during his first visit to Japan
- Tokyo boss arrested for allegedly assaulting employee with a stun gun for being late
- Six outdoor Japanese hot springs you can visit right now (with Google Street View)
- New game lets you save the world with your vacuum and toaster…who are also beautiful anime girls!
- Nissan unveils “smart BBQ” car that comes with a drone, karaoke machine, mist shower…and a grill