The last time we saw the Double Down, KFC’s burger that swaps buns for fried chicken patties, was in the form of KFC Japan’s Kentucky Chicken Rice, which eliminated the burger patty in favor of a disc of rice. Now Korea is taking a stab at the popular chain’s meat monstrosity with the Zinger Double Down King. Get ready for some photos of this burger of fried chicken, bacon, and beef!
May 12, 2014
Our long-time readers will remember Lotteria’s famous–or possibly infamous–ramen noodle burgers last May. We even set Mr. Sato off to try out an extra-massive ramen noodle burger and were amazed by his ability to consume gargantuan amounts of food. As strange as the combination of noodles and buns seemed at the time, it apparently earned the company a lot of happy customers, since Lotteria will be bringing back noodle burgers at the end of this month, with a few new twists…
This year, the sakura cherry blossoms are scheduled to start appearing in Japan as early as March 20 and will slowly move their way north as the country begins to thaw after a particularly snowy winter. Just one day after the appearance of the actual blossoms, McDonald’s will release a spring-inspired burger that takes a cue from the very sakura that Japan is so famous for. But with a pink-colored bun and sakura mayonnaise sauce, it’s unclear if the odd combination will be as well received as cherry blossoms and beer.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 28, 2013
Ah, the good old days! It seems like every generation longs for that time when they were young and all was right with the world. McDonald’s Japan is taking that feeling of nostalgia and cramming it into a hamburger with their freshly announced American Vintage campaign, taking us back in time with 1950’s diner fare, 1970s soul food and 1980s pop culture cuisine.
Officially called, “Stunning Black and White Fortress,” this pair of burgers, one white and one black, is being sold for a limited time only at McDonald’s in Taiwan. The name alone made our reporter want to try this duo, but how would these unnaturally colored burgers taste?
It’s a good day to be a fast food fan in Japan! As well as announcing its maccha-flavoured milkshake and maccha and oreo cookie mix ice cream, McDonald’s Japan has announced that its incredibly popular teriyaki and egg, or “Teritama“, burger will be returning to restaurants later this month.
Mar 8, 2013
On Wednesday this week, the above image of an alleged “healthy option” burger from Akihabara’s AKB48 Cafe was uploaded by a Japanese Twitter user. Despite supposedly costing a whopping 700 yen ($US7.57) and being advertised as being “packed full of ingredients”, the burger was one of the saddest things we’ve ever seen on a plate.
Netizens were quick to scoff at the culinary effort and the image was quickly shared thousands of times as people began wondering just how far the people behind AKB48 would go to make a bit of extra cash. As it turns out, though, the original post was neither entirely fair nor accurate.
I think we’re gonna need a bigger bun.
Japanese fast food chain Lotteria, home to the mountain of melted cheese that was our own 30-patty cheeseburger tower, announced yesterday that it will be providing diners with an altogether larger eating experience as of February 22. The above burgers are part of the chain’s “hamidashi” (meaning to jut or hang out over the sides) range, but we’re affectionately dubbing them the “hangover” series.
Jan 29, 2013
Never afraid to mix things up a little, McDonald’s Japan announced earlier today that its Texas and Idaho burgers will be making a comeback in the coming weeks. The two burgers are part of the struggling fast food chain’s Big America ALL STARS (their capitalization) series, following on the relative success of the alternative sandwiches in previous years.
Nov 6, 2012
It’s not every day that you hear of a dish whose ingredients include a chemical element.
When most people hear of cesium, they probably think of either high school chemistry class or, if you happened to be glued to the TV during last year’s nuclear disaster in Fukushima, the element’s association with radiation…
So when a restaurant in central Tokyo openly advertising a lunch-time curry featuring a “cesium burger” came to our attention, we had to check it out.
Our brave food reporter Kuzo headed into town to find out whether the rumours were true and, if they were, to see what on earth a meal featuring a potentially hazardous chemical substance could taste like…
Sep 22, 2012
Burger King is currently celebrating their 5th year in Japan. But in an already saturated fast food market the famous American chain is a little late to the game.
So, in an effort to truly stand out from the crowd, Burger King Japan has designed fast food’s first black hamburger. Dubbed the Kuro Burger (lit. Black Burger), it will go on sale for a limited time starting 28 September.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Aug 27, 2012
According to recent Chinese market reports, a patron of a McDonald’s in the city of Guangzhou of the Canton Province, took his grievances over his overly spicy burger to the police, causing quite a commotion.
The disturbance took place in mid-August when a man went into McDonald’s for his dinner, ordering a Spicy Chicken Burger. On finding it much more spicy than the previous one he’d had, he reported it to the police!
The spicy chicken burger is supposed to be spicy, but its spiciness must have been so very unbearably distressful—a breach of his civil rights, even—that he felt he had to make a police report. Read More
- We try the new 1,500-yen Kobe beef burger from Lotteria 【Taste Test】1
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public2
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck3
- Is Japan’s “Daughter in a box” a myth?【Myth-Busters Series】4
- First Kit Kat Chocolatery shop with cafe opens in Kyoto! New Chocolatery items released too5
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial6
- A visit to Sushi Dai, Japan’s best sushi restaurant according to world travelers7
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one8
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time2
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin3
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough6
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”7
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think8
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo9
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial
- A visit to Sushi Dai, Japan’s best sushi restaurant according to world travelers
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Handy bath pillow doubles as a smartphone holder, might also be giving you a hug
- “Can you help meow-t here?” Twitter user discovers why his bread clock was constantly wrong
- Which one’s your favourite Cid? The evolution of Final Fantasy’s constant character
- Hello Kitty keeping as busy as ever — this time she collaborates with…money itself!
- Does your cereal bowl need some love? Try a Tower of the Sun capsule toy!
- Forget shuriken: 10 stealthy and dangerous ninja tools you didn’t know existed
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Stay warm with a USB-powered, inflatable hug pillow heated to exactly human body temperature