The last time we saw the Double Down, KFC’s burger that swaps buns for fried chicken patties, was in the form of KFC Japan’s Kentucky Chicken Rice, which eliminated the burger patty in favor of a disc of rice. Now Korea is taking a stab at the popular chain’s meat monstrosity with the Zinger Double Down King. Get ready for some photos of this burger of fried chicken, bacon, and beef!
May 12, 2014
Our long-time readers will remember Lotteria’s famous–or possibly infamous–ramen noodle burgers last May. We even set Mr. Sato off to try out an extra-massive ramen noodle burger and were amazed by his ability to consume gargantuan amounts of food. As strange as the combination of noodles and buns seemed at the time, it apparently earned the company a lot of happy customers, since Lotteria will be bringing back noodle burgers at the end of this month, with a few new twists…
This year, the sakura cherry blossoms are scheduled to start appearing in Japan as early as March 20 and will slowly move their way north as the country begins to thaw after a particularly snowy winter. Just one day after the appearance of the actual blossoms, McDonald’s will release a spring-inspired burger that takes a cue from the very sakura that Japan is so famous for. But with a pink-colored bun and sakura mayonnaise sauce, it’s unclear if the odd combination will be as well received as cherry blossoms and beer.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 28, 2013
Ah, the good old days! It seems like every generation longs for that time when they were young and all was right with the world. McDonald’s Japan is taking that feeling of nostalgia and cramming it into a hamburger with their freshly announced American Vintage campaign, taking us back in time with 1950’s diner fare, 1970s soul food and 1980s pop culture cuisine.
Officially called, “Stunning Black and White Fortress,” this pair of burgers, one white and one black, is being sold for a limited time only at McDonald’s in Taiwan. The name alone made our reporter want to try this duo, but how would these unnaturally colored burgers taste?
It’s a good day to be a fast food fan in Japan! As well as announcing its maccha-flavoured milkshake and maccha and oreo cookie mix ice cream, McDonald’s Japan has announced that its incredibly popular teriyaki and egg, or “Teritama“, burger will be returning to restaurants later this month.
Mar 8, 2013
On Wednesday this week, the above image of an alleged “healthy option” burger from Akihabara’s AKB48 Cafe was uploaded by a Japanese Twitter user. Despite supposedly costing a whopping 700 yen ($US7.57) and being advertised as being “packed full of ingredients”, the burger was one of the saddest things we’ve ever seen on a plate.
Netizens were quick to scoff at the culinary effort and the image was quickly shared thousands of times as people began wondering just how far the people behind AKB48 would go to make a bit of extra cash. As it turns out, though, the original post was neither entirely fair nor accurate.
I think we’re gonna need a bigger bun.
Japanese fast food chain Lotteria, home to the mountain of melted cheese that was our own 30-patty cheeseburger tower, announced yesterday that it will be providing diners with an altogether larger eating experience as of February 22. The above burgers are part of the chain’s “hamidashi” (meaning to jut or hang out over the sides) range, but we’re affectionately dubbing them the “hangover” series.
Jan 29, 2013
Never afraid to mix things up a little, McDonald’s Japan announced earlier today that its Texas and Idaho burgers will be making a comeback in the coming weeks. The two burgers are part of the struggling fast food chain’s Big America ALL STARS (their capitalization) series, following on the relative success of the alternative sandwiches in previous years.
Nov 6, 2012
It’s not every day that you hear of a dish whose ingredients include a chemical element.
When most people hear of cesium, they probably think of either high school chemistry class or, if you happened to be glued to the TV during last year’s nuclear disaster in Fukushima, the element’s association with radiation…
So when a restaurant in central Tokyo openly advertising a lunch-time curry featuring a “cesium burger” came to our attention, we had to check it out.
Our brave food reporter Kuzo headed into town to find out whether the rumours were true and, if they were, to see what on earth a meal featuring a potentially hazardous chemical substance could taste like…
Sep 22, 2012
Burger King is currently celebrating their 5th year in Japan. But in an already saturated fast food market the famous American chain is a little late to the game.
So, in an effort to truly stand out from the crowd, Burger King Japan has designed fast food’s first black hamburger. Dubbed the Kuro Burger (lit. Black Burger), it will go on sale for a limited time starting 28 September.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Aug 27, 2012
According to recent Chinese market reports, a patron of a McDonald’s in the city of Guangzhou of the Canton Province, took his grievances over his overly spicy burger to the police, causing quite a commotion.
The disturbance took place in mid-August when a man went into McDonald’s for his dinner, ordering a Spicy Chicken Burger. On finding it much more spicy than the previous one he’d had, he reported it to the police!
The spicy chicken burger is supposed to be spicy, but its spiciness must have been so very unbearably distressful—a breach of his civil rights, even—that he felt he had to make a police report. Read More
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- 10 weird and wonderful things you can find in a Japanese drugstore4
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea5
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level6
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz7
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!8
- “It all came out?” Debate ensues over whether schoolgirl ad is just talking about mayonnaise9
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll10
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】4
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines5
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl6
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them7
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits8
- Bizarre video series gives pervy weirdos a glimpse of girls’ panties in very specific situations9
- Kabe-don? That’s old news. Now it’s all about the sode-kuru!10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20156
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens7
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!
- “It all came out?” Debate ensues over whether schoolgirl ad is just talking about mayonnaise
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- Woman loses an eye from foul ball at Sapporo Dome, sues team for millions of yen
- Cup of noodles for vegans! Japanese Zen Buddhist temple starts selling instant soba and udon
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo
- Pikachu puts on a suit, hopes hiring managers will choose him as a business formal plushie