Our long-time readers will remember Lotteria’s famous–or possibly infamous–ramen noodle burgers last May. We even set Mr. Sato off to try out an extra-massive ramen noodle burger and were amazed by his ability to consume gargantuan amounts of food. As strange as the combination of noodles and buns seemed at the time, it apparently earned the company a lot of happy customers, since Lotteria will be bringing back noodle burgers at the end of this month, with a few new twists…
This year, the sakura cherry blossoms are scheduled to start appearing in Japan as early as March 20 and will slowly move their way north as the country begins to thaw after a particularly snowy winter. Just one day after the appearance of the actual blossoms, McDonald’s will release a spring-inspired burger that takes a cue from the very sakura that Japan is so famous for. But with a pink-colored bun and sakura mayonnaise sauce, it’s unclear if the odd combination will be as well received as cherry blossoms and beer.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 28, 2013
Ah, the good old days! It seems like every generation longs for that time when they were young and all was right with the world. McDonald’s Japan is taking that feeling of nostalgia and cramming it into a hamburger with their freshly announced American Vintage campaign, taking us back in time with 1950’s diner fare, 1970s soul food and 1980s pop culture cuisine.
Officially called, “Stunning Black and White Fortress,” this pair of burgers, one white and one black, is being sold for a limited time only at McDonald’s in Taiwan. The name alone made our reporter want to try this duo, but how would these unnaturally colored burgers taste?
It’s a good day to be a fast food fan in Japan! As well as announcing its maccha-flavoured milkshake and maccha and oreo cookie mix ice cream, McDonald’s Japan has announced that its incredibly popular teriyaki and egg, or “Teritama“, burger will be returning to restaurants later this month.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 8, 2013
On Wednesday this week, the above image of an alleged “healthy option” burger from Akihabara’s AKB48 Cafe was uploaded by a Japanese Twitter user. Despite supposedly costing a whopping 700 yen ($US7.57) and being advertised as being “packed full of ingredients”, the burger was one of the saddest things we’ve ever seen on a plate.
Netizens were quick to scoff at the culinary effort and the image was quickly shared thousands of times as people began wondering just how far the people behind AKB48 would go to make a bit of extra cash. As it turns out, though, the original post was neither entirely fair nor accurate.
I think we’re gonna need a bigger bun.
Japanese fast food chain Lotteria, home to the mountain of melted cheese that was our own 30-patty cheeseburger tower, announced yesterday that it will be providing diners with an altogether larger eating experience as of February 22. The above burgers are part of the chain’s “hamidashi” (meaning to jut or hang out over the sides) range, but we’re affectionately dubbing them the “hangover” series.
- Philip Kendall
Jan 29, 2013
Never afraid to mix things up a little, McDonald’s Japan announced earlier today that its Texas and Idaho burgers will be making a comeback in the coming weeks. The two burgers are part of the struggling fast food chain’s Big America ALL STARS (their capitalization) series, following on the relative success of the alternative sandwiches in previous years.
- Philip Kendall
Nov 6, 2012
It’s not every day that you hear of a dish whose ingredients include a chemical element.
When most people hear of cesium, they probably think of either high school chemistry class or, if you happened to be glued to the TV during last year’s nuclear disaster in Fukushima, the element’s association with radiation…
So when a restaurant in central Tokyo openly advertising a lunch-time curry featuring a “cesium burger” came to our attention, we had to check it out.
Our brave food reporter Kuzo headed into town to find out whether the rumours were true and, if they were, to see what on earth a meal featuring a potentially hazardous chemical substance could taste like…
- Master Blaster
Sep 22, 2012
Burger King is currently celebrating their 5th year in Japan. But in an already saturated fast food market the famous American chain is a little late to the game.
So, in an effort to truly stand out from the crowd, Burger King Japan has designed fast food’s first black hamburger. Dubbed the Kuro Burger (lit. Black Burger), it will go on sale for a limited time starting 28 September.
- Karen Bremer Masuda
Aug 27, 2012
According to recent Chinese market reports, a patron of a McDonald’s in the city of Guangzhou of the Canton Province, took his grievances over his overly spicy burger to the police, causing quite a commotion.
The disturbance took place in mid-August when a man went into McDonald’s for his dinner, ordering a Spicy Chicken Burger. On finding it much more spicy than the previous one he’d had, he reported it to the police!
The spicy chicken burger is supposed to be spicy, but its spiciness must have been so very unbearably distressful—a breach of his civil rights, even—that he felt he had to make a police report. Read More
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide1
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed2
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC3
- Blogger offers her top four tips for Japanese women dating foreign guys4
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】5
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children6
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan7
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka8
- Japanese man goes missing at sea for 20 hours, then gets rescued by a lucky lifebelt9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka
- Japanese man goes missing at sea for 20 hours, then gets rescued by a lucky lifebelt
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation
- Jerome Le Banner walks old lady across the street even though it would’ve been easier to toss her
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】