The last time we saw the Double Down, KFC’s burger that swaps buns for fried chicken patties, was in the form of KFC Japan’s Kentucky Chicken Rice, which eliminated the burger patty in favor of a disc of rice. Now Korea is taking a stab at the popular chain’s meat monstrosity with the Zinger Double Down King. Get ready for some photos of this burger of fried chicken, bacon, and beef!
May 12, 2014
Our long-time readers will remember Lotteria’s famous–or possibly infamous–ramen noodle burgers last May. We even set Mr. Sato off to try out an extra-massive ramen noodle burger and were amazed by his ability to consume gargantuan amounts of food. As strange as the combination of noodles and buns seemed at the time, it apparently earned the company a lot of happy customers, since Lotteria will be bringing back noodle burgers at the end of this month, with a few new twists…
This year, the sakura cherry blossoms are scheduled to start appearing in Japan as early as March 20 and will slowly move their way north as the country begins to thaw after a particularly snowy winter. Just one day after the appearance of the actual blossoms, McDonald’s will release a spring-inspired burger that takes a cue from the very sakura that Japan is so famous for. But with a pink-colored bun and sakura mayonnaise sauce, it’s unclear if the odd combination will be as well received as cherry blossoms and beer.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 28, 2013
Ah, the good old days! It seems like every generation longs for that time when they were young and all was right with the world. McDonald’s Japan is taking that feeling of nostalgia and cramming it into a hamburger with their freshly announced American Vintage campaign, taking us back in time with 1950’s diner fare, 1970s soul food and 1980s pop culture cuisine.
Officially called, “Stunning Black and White Fortress,” this pair of burgers, one white and one black, is being sold for a limited time only at McDonald’s in Taiwan. The name alone made our reporter want to try this duo, but how would these unnaturally colored burgers taste?
It’s a good day to be a fast food fan in Japan! As well as announcing its maccha-flavoured milkshake and maccha and oreo cookie mix ice cream, McDonald’s Japan has announced that its incredibly popular teriyaki and egg, or “Teritama“, burger will be returning to restaurants later this month.
Mar 8, 2013
On Wednesday this week, the above image of an alleged “healthy option” burger from Akihabara’s AKB48 Cafe was uploaded by a Japanese Twitter user. Despite supposedly costing a whopping 700 yen ($US7.57) and being advertised as being “packed full of ingredients”, the burger was one of the saddest things we’ve ever seen on a plate.
Netizens were quick to scoff at the culinary effort and the image was quickly shared thousands of times as people began wondering just how far the people behind AKB48 would go to make a bit of extra cash. As it turns out, though, the original post was neither entirely fair nor accurate.
I think we’re gonna need a bigger bun.
Japanese fast food chain Lotteria, home to the mountain of melted cheese that was our own 30-patty cheeseburger tower, announced yesterday that it will be providing diners with an altogether larger eating experience as of February 22. The above burgers are part of the chain’s “hamidashi” (meaning to jut or hang out over the sides) range, but we’re affectionately dubbing them the “hangover” series.
Jan 29, 2013
Never afraid to mix things up a little, McDonald’s Japan announced earlier today that its Texas and Idaho burgers will be making a comeback in the coming weeks. The two burgers are part of the struggling fast food chain’s Big America ALL STARS (their capitalization) series, following on the relative success of the alternative sandwiches in previous years.
Nov 6, 2012
It’s not every day that you hear of a dish whose ingredients include a chemical element.
When most people hear of cesium, they probably think of either high school chemistry class or, if you happened to be glued to the TV during last year’s nuclear disaster in Fukushima, the element’s association with radiation…
So when a restaurant in central Tokyo openly advertising a lunch-time curry featuring a “cesium burger” came to our attention, we had to check it out.
Our brave food reporter Kuzo headed into town to find out whether the rumours were true and, if they were, to see what on earth a meal featuring a potentially hazardous chemical substance could taste like…
Sep 22, 2012
Burger King is currently celebrating their 5th year in Japan. But in an already saturated fast food market the famous American chain is a little late to the game.
So, in an effort to truly stand out from the crowd, Burger King Japan has designed fast food’s first black hamburger. Dubbed the Kuro Burger (lit. Black Burger), it will go on sale for a limited time starting 28 September.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Aug 27, 2012
According to recent Chinese market reports, a patron of a McDonald’s in the city of Guangzhou of the Canton Province, took his grievances over his overly spicy burger to the police, causing quite a commotion.
The disturbance took place in mid-August when a man went into McDonald’s for his dinner, ordering a Spicy Chicken Burger. On finding it much more spicy than the previous one he’d had, he reported it to the police!
The spicy chicken burger is supposed to be spicy, but its spiciness must have been so very unbearably distressful—a breach of his civil rights, even—that he felt he had to make a police report. Read More
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens1
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!2
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master3
- Ingenious sloths engineer home theater systems ideal for tiny Japanese homes4
- Three-year-old girl perfectly recites martial arts school’s student creed, wields tiny fists of death5
- Häagen-Dazs releases new mochi ice cream, and it’s amazing! 【Taste test】6
- Our Japanese staff members pick the top places in Japan they’d like to visit again someday7
- Jealous girlfriend erases game from boyfriend’s phone, destroys relationship in process8
- We try one ekiben shop’s three most popular bento boxes- out of a selection of 170 kinds9
- This is the most technologically-advanced cat feeder you’ll ever find10
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master1
- Magazine asks Japanese women if they’d rather date an ugly millionaire or unemployed hottie2
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens3
- Ultimate TKG: We’ll never eat tamago kake gohan the old way again! 【Rocket Kitchen】4
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】5
- Japan’s most popular kitty names, featuring inspiration from anime and sweet treats!6
- Japanese female bodybuilder could kick your butt, break your heart at the same time7
- Anime is real, says Obama, in definitely-not-at-all-faked photos8
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!9
- R.I.P. Ginji – Japan’s bartending hamster makes us smile one last time with his brave last words10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】2
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it3
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】4
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead5
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet6
- This amazingly detailed theme park map is what Tokyo Ghibli Land would look like7
- The number one thing that foreign men find “not so kawaii” about Japanese women8
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved9
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing7
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Häagen-Dazs releases new mochi ice cream, and it’s amazing! 【Taste test】
- Our Japanese staff members pick the top places in Japan they’d like to visit again someday
- Jealous girlfriend erases game from boyfriend’s phone, destroys relationship in process
- We try one ekiben shop’s three most popular bento boxes- out of a selection of 170 kinds
- This is the most technologically-advanced cat feeder you’ll ever find
- Awesome Akihabara restaurant sandwiched by busy train lines offers more thrills than a maid cafe
- The top 10 most common shojo manga scenarios, as picked by Japanese girls’ comic fans
- Don’t want to pay your NHK TV licence fee? Beat Takeshi doesn’t think you should have to
- Here’s a newly-revealed character list for the 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie to geek out over
- A road runs through it: China’s first over-water highway almost complete
- Japanese people share their family mottos, from “Eat first, think later” to “New Year, new pants”
- Artist’s new posters for classic movies will inspire you to watch them all over again
- Adorable little kitten auditions for her own cooking show, charms us all