In an effort to ride the wave of excitement caused by the FIFA World Cup championships, a bus in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region had artificial grass layered throughout its flooring. However, according to the driver, the benefits of this promotional scheme went far beyond stirring up a little soccer-fever.
In 2012, Odakyu Hakone Highway Bus Company, which operates bus service to the mountain town Hakone, ran a Neon Genesis Evangelion-themed bus. Hakone corresponds to the anime series’ Tokyo-3, a new version of Tokyo built there after an apocalypse demolished its predecessor. The bus service’s popularity has led to an Evangelion bus revival.
- Krista Rogers
Mar 30, 2014
It’s sakura (cherry blossom) time again in Tokyo! As the blossoms reach their peak in the next week, you can bet that people will be flocking to the parks to enjoy some much-needed R&R under the flurry of falling petals. It’s hard to imagine that anyone could get tired of gazing at the sakura since the flowers are only in full bloom for such a short time in the spring.
But if you’ve found yourself fighting through the hanami (blossom-viewing) crowds at Ueno or Yoyogi Park for several years in a row, you might be looking for a slightly more alternative, or even adventurous way to take in the ephemeral petals. If we’re describing you, check out these four alternative ways to enjoy hanami without having to break out that tired old picnic blanket or get up at 5 a.m. on your precious weekend to grab a decent a spot!
- Philip Kendall
Mar 22, 2014
Most haulage vehicles have snug little sleeping compartments for their drivers to crawl into after many hours on the road, but if you take a look around an average Greyhound or overnight bus you’ll notice no such place to hunker down.
So if a driver needs a little shut-eye between trips, where do they get it? Motels? Some kind of depot? Sitting up in their seat with a neck pillow? According to the following video, night bus drivers in Japan actually have another alternative, and it’s a lot closer than we thought.
In the world of fantasy, Studio Ghibli gave us the magnificent Catbus in the anime film My Neighbor Totoro. Who wouldn’t want to catch a ride on a live, furry bus like that, right? Well, now in the real world here in Japan, it seems Disney is coming out with a unique ride that, while maybe not an exact recreation of the Catbus, comes pretty close. Yes, it’s the amazing furry “Duffy Bus”, and it’s a real-life cross between a bus and a stuffed animal! It’s so unique, you’ll have to see it to believe it!
- Joan Coello
Jan 26, 2014
Taking the bus or train is a mundane routine for many of us. Sometimes, when there are delays in the arrival or an unexpected breakdown of such public transportation, we get annoyed or even angry at the drivers or transportation companies. But how many of us have ever thanked them for fulfilling their responsibilities of arriving on time, or for driving safely?
Over in Taichung, Taiwan, a bus driver went the extra mile to help a blind commuter onboard and off the bus, winning some unexpected praise and commendation from passengers and netizens on Taiwanese forums.
It was recently reported in the Chinese media that the window of a bus traversing the streets of Wuhan Province suddenly exploded while the vehicle was in motion. One of the left-hand side windows is thought to have shattered without warning, terrifying the passengers on board at the time.
It is often said that people who live in big cities are desensitized to all that goes on around them. A man is sprawled out on the sidewalk and people just step around him. A woman cries out for help and no one takes it seriously.
And then there’s the case of a bus that suddenly exploded during rush hour in the city of Hangzhou in China on 6 November. Surely this bus, completely engulfed in flames and churning out black smoke right in the middle of a busy street, would generate panic among the citizens… right?
Anyone who’s taken public transportation has had a run-in with shoulder sleepers, the people who sit next to you on the train, bus, plane and decide your shoulder is their next stop to dreamland.
Some people deal with this threat by taking up the neighboring seat with their bags. However justified that tactic might be, you’re left looking selfish to the rest of the passengers.
So you leave the seat open. And like clockwork some dude with pit stains plunks down next you, eyelids half-raised and wobbling like a drunk during an earthquake.
Japan, having one of the most used public transportation systems in the world. knows a thing or two about people sleeping on your shoulder. The following is a collection of strategies posted online by Japanese commuters for shrugging off shoulder sleepers.
“Next stop, Shibuya Tokyu Hands!”
That’s what one might have expected to hear at the department store that hosted the quirky Tsugi Tomarimasu Bus Button Exhibit on May 3 and 4. A private collector put his collection of over 100 bus signal buttons on display for the Golden Week shopping crowds.
Anyone who has ever ridden a bus is familiar with the buttons you push to signal that you want to disembark, and we all have a relationship with these buttons. Aggressive people want to initiate action and get where they’re going. Passive people want someone to push the button and take care of their needs. Kids just want to be big enough to reach the buttons! Read More
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】1
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan2
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】3
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance4
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn5
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts6
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival7
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl