Japanese males, from a young age, seem to be obsessed with the idea of flipping up a pleated skirt. At long last, there is a product, which unapologetically caters to that desire that has long been repressed. The name of that product is: “Skirt-Flipping Calendar 2015” (Sukaato mekuri karendaa 2015).
Apr 23, 2014
Have you ever been in a situation where you could have sworn you left an object in a certain place, yet couldn’t find it when you needed it, but it pops up at some unexpected place some time later? Have you ever thought that, perhaps there are tiny people hiding in your room, mischievously fiddling with your things?
That’s probably what fills the mind of Japanese designer and photographer, Tatsuya Tanaka, as he shows in his imaginative portfolio of miniature people having fun among everyday items around us!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 4, 2014
Want to go to the least popular prefecture in all of Japan? Of course you do! Pack your bags, you’re going to Shimane!
Though Shimane is home to Izumo Shrine, one of the most significant shrines in all of Japan, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the indescribably beautiful Oki Islands, this particular area of the Chugoku Region gets overlooked by most of Japan. In fact, year after year Shimane is ranked as Japan’s most forgotten and least identifiable prefecture.
But not to worry, that’s where Yoshida-kun, Shimane’s brutally honest mascot, comes in. We’ve seen this fellow before, pointing out Shimane’s shortcomings and proclaiming the area to be the the 47th most famous prefecture in a country that only has 47. Well, he’s back at it again with the Shimane x Takanotsume Super Deluxe Masochism Calendar 2014! Now with 20% more snark.
Jan 14, 2014
Time flies by so quickly! In a blink of an eye, about half of January has already gone by. This post might have come slightly late, but if you have yet to get yourself a calendar for the year, here’s an extraordinary one for your consideration!
Known as the world’s most flexible woman, Russian-born contortionist Zlata struts her incredible skills in this 2014 calendar!
Jan 10, 2014
I recently took a few days off to visit my hometown in California. In keeping with Japanese norms, I spent most of my time there eating and loafing around my parents’ house (in my defense they have a really nice couch, and the soba noodles my wife makes at New Year’s are amazing).
Reenergized from a week of rest and relaxation, I arrived back in Japan and went to sleep, fully intending to jump out of bed at the crack of dawn and get right to work. But when I woke up around 5:30 a.m., I stopped to reconsider my plan. Given the near-freezing temperature, was crawling out from under my warm blankets really the best choice, health-wise? Shouldn’t I take it easy for a day and make sure I was over my jet-lag? I could always get serious about work the next day, right?
It turns out that not only is New Year’s procrastination common, there’s even a calendar for it, with solid excuses for nothing doing anything printed right there on it.
Aaah, skirt lifting! Those were the days! Running through the hallways at school, twanging bra straps, calling your friends “gay” when they admitted to liking a girl…
If only we could bring a little bit of that revelry back into our adult lives without being arrested or shunned by friends.
Well, thanks to creative designer Kaori Kato’s new “Skirt-lifting Calendar”, from the beginning of 2013 you can lift a highschool girl’s skirt as often as you like without ever risking incarceration or bringing shame on your family…
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 25, 2012
New York firefighters have been stripping down naked from the waist up for the past 17 years in their famous calendars. For years, Japan has been deprived of their own version of the 12 pages of steamy muscles, but not any longer!
The macho fire fighting men of Okinawa let it all hang out in the 2013 edition of the Okinawa Firefighters Calendar with all proceeds going to a great cause.
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】1
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men2
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more3
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors4
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?5
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】6
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross7
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box8
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing9
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts3
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy4
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】5
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls6
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back9
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Liquid wasabi from Shizuoka is our new favorite form of awesome sauce
- Nicocafe dishes up a serving of surreal with manga meat, half an umaibo, and rice teishoku
- Help one-million-year-old hag get back her glamorous good looks in new app
- You’ll never want to stop cleaning with this penguin mop topper
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- The craziest small arms maneuvers by South Korean SWAT, in 9 GIFs
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results