Heads up, snack fans! Japan’s Tohato foods has just announced a new brand that will hit shelves later this month. Called “Ninja Snack Fuwamaru“, they’re purported to melt away like a ninja into the night. Hmmm…
- Philip Kendall
Jan 7, 2014
We see a lot of weird stuff on the internet, but corn snacks made to taste – and fizz, no less – like the carbonated soft drink Mountain Dew are undoubtedly the oddest thing to happen since millions of adults across the globe simultaneously lied to their children about a bearded man sneaking into their home and leaving gifts for having refrained from murdering anyone or punching an otter since the previous December.
Nevertheless, as the internet chatter suggests, Mountain Dew corn snacks really do exist here in Japan, and so despite imagining that they’d taste about as good as minty orange juice, we tracked some down and, along with a can of actual Mountain Dew (or “Mtn Dew” as it’s now being branded in the US, because who has time fr vwls?) for comparison, conducted a little taste test of our own.
Full impressions after the jump.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 28, 2013
It happened again! Yet another “large order” at McDonald’s has caused controversy on the Internet. This time, a group of young people in Korea gathered at their local McDonald’s restaurant and ordered an obscene amount of french fries. These kids could be described as mischievous or simply hungry, but either way the end result of their fry ordering rampage was a row of tables filled with greasy fried potatoes that cost 270,000 won (US$250) in total. After witnessing the mound of french fries in his store, a McDonald’s worker decided he had had enough of these shenanigans and told the kids, “Stop causing trouble, you brats! Get out of here!”
As it turns out, a majority of the Internet supports the McDonald’s worker’s harsh words.
Living in Japan, it’s easy to miss the range of potato chip flavors available in one’s home country. Out here, the only flavors you can expect to get are salt, and consume (basically BBQ) with the occasional green onion flavor.
Never shy of a challenge, though, since last August China has had a new hit on its hands with a new local flavor that can’t help but surprise: Pepsi & Chicken!
It’s nearly Christmas! And that can mean only one thing: romantic dates on December 24th!
What? Did you think we were talking about the pagan festival-cum-Christian holiday on December 25th? No, no, no; the 25th is just a normal working day here in Japan, and everyone’s already forgotten about Christmas. People without plans for December 24th, however, might as well join the ranks of those who use trains on dates and pay money to sleep next to strangers.
With the romantic dates of December 24th, Valentine’s Day and March 14th’s White Day in its sights, snack maker Koikeya is about to launch a new range of potato chips — or crisps to backwards Brits like me — made especially for couples. And thanks to some clever packaging, Koikeya guarantee that these new chips will be the most romantic salty snack you’ve ever enjoyed…
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old girl to raise her to be his “ideal girl”1
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site2
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!3
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move4
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex5
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide6
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】7
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】8
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman9
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease6
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Fashion advice – Almost half of Japanese women say they don’t like guys wearing tank tops
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date
- Teacher accidentally supports the armament of Japan with flawed cartoon reference
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back