And it looks like what the kids really want to buy these days are shirts and goods emblazoned with Studio Ghibli art!
As most of our readers of the male persuasion will no vividly doubt remember, there was a bit of a fashion craze a few months ago for a specific style of sweater which Japanese Netizens simply dubbed, “The Boob Shirt.”
The titular (heh heh) turtleneck featured an oval window exposing the cleavage of the (usually) female wearer. Now, never having needed to expose my ample cleavage to the elements, I’m not exactly an expert on the thermal properties of human breast tissue, but it seems most of the Internet agreed with me that having a big open window in the middle of your turtleneck sort of defeats the purpose of wearing a sweater.
Well, it seems now high fashion has done what it does best and built on the uselessness of The Boob Shirt with the brand new, even more useless, “Side-Boob Shirt“:
Jan 8, 2015
We have bid farewell to the year of the horse, and welcomed in the Year of the Sheep. New Year’s decorations, greeting cards, and the like are all adorned with more sweet, fluffy little lambs than you could shake one of their tails at. It almost makes you want to get an adorable little baby fleecey bundle for your own. I mean, sheep are allowed in apartments, right? Right!?
Or maybe it would just be easier to transform your dog into a sheep for the New Year instead!
Jan 6, 2015
Remember the Muji Fortune Can that we featured a few days ago from our favorite minimalist home goods store, Muji? Following that welcome discovery, our Japanese reporter also managed to get her hands on both a Muji Women’s Clothing Lucky Bag and a Muji Health & Beauty Lucky Bag.
Although she was content with most of the surprises, there was one clothing item in particular that stumped her–can anyone give her a few tips on how best to wear it? Don’t miss her mini fashion show after the jump!
When your average Westerner thinks of Japan, what’s most likely to spring to the forefront of their minds? We’re betting that sushi, samurai, anime and geisha are up there in the top ten, with sushi being the best-known incarnation of Japanese food abroad. But it seems that stylish overseas consumers aren’t satisfied with simply eating their sushi – they want to wear it on their bodies, too, so everyone can see how cool and cutting-edge they really are. Join us as we take a look at some of the weird and wonderful sushi fashion items available for purchase right now.
With the holidays swiftly approaching, what better time is there to pamper your pet pooch with a brand new doggie house? While store-bought dog houses may leave you strapped for cash, thanks to a tip from one Japanese forum user, now anyone can build their own doghouse using ordinary household items.
A quick word of caution before you begin–you may want to measure your dog beforehand, unless you want to wind up like the poor pooch in the following pictures!
With JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders available streaming and in print, fans everywhere are undoubtedly excited to see all of the Stands, supernatural powers that can protect and fight for their users.
Thanks to Japanese clothing brand BEAMS, fans can now become their favorite Stands with special, full zip-up Stardust Crusader hoodies. Or, at least three of the Stands. For the time being, hoodies come as either Jotaro Kujo’s Star Platinum, Noriaki Kakyoin’s Hierophant Green, and Jean Pierre Polnareff’s Silver Chariot.
Jun 20, 2014
It’s June again, and that means it’s time for Himeji City in Hyogo Prefecture to hold its annual Himeji Yukata Festival! The three-day event incorporates around 800 businesses and draws in around 200,000 attendees, many of whom are dressed in traditional Japanese summer wear yukata.
It’s a festive time for the whole family, but the Himeji Yukata Festival also has a dark side that city officials and police are looking to stop once and for all. This problem comes in the form of biker gangs known in Japan as bōsōzoku. But these are not just any biker gangs; they’re biker gangs… without bikes.
Rei Ayanami and Asuka Langley Soryu, the eternally popular characters from the Evangelion franchise, now have their own clothing collections. Sold by Radio Eva, which sells a wide variety of bags, watches, cardigans, loafers, and other such items, the “Rei Ayanami Collection” and “Asuka Shikinami Langley Collection” allows fans to combine their love of Rei, Asuka, and NERV with their desire to hit the streets in Evangelion-branded casual clothing.
May 30, 2014
A couple of months ago, an ingenious cosplayer intrigued the internet with photos of his impressive low-cost looks created using nothing but kitchen utensils, toilet rolls and large helping of imagination, enabling him to look remarkably like Disney princesses, Harry Potter and more.
Just last month we discovered the creative genius pictured above, this time in China. Though her forte is not in replicating the looks of famous characters, this fashion designer-wannabe has shown extraordinary imagination and creativity in the items she creates out of plastic bags, cardboard, vegetables, and even seafood. Now, the fashion fairy is back, and she has even more funky photos to show off!
Anime News Network
Jan 17, 2014
Looking for some style inspiration? How about Barnaby Brooks Jr. and Kotetsu Kaburagi from Tiger & Bunny? Premium Bandai’s Bandai Fashion Net has started selling clothing inspired directly by the characters’ duds from the upcoming Tiger & Bunny The Movie -The Rising- film (check out all the new character wardobes and designs at the official website).
You may have resisted the appeal of our future feline overlords so far, but if their internet popularity is any indication, total world domination can’t be far off. If you don’t want to be first against the wall with the dogs and dog-lovers, you may want to invest in these super-cute cat tights. As the ad copy says, put them on and you’ll “transform into a devil-may-care cat!” You’ll be able to blend right in…
Jun 20, 2013
In the world of popular manga and anime series, Attack on Titan, making it into the Recon Corps is difficult. For some it means training from a very early age. So one mother, hoping to enlist her 5-month-old daughter, has started by fashioning an authentic-looking Recon Corps uniform from scratch.
She outlined the process in a video titled: [Attack on Titan] Mother tries sewing Recon Corps uniform for daughter which has drawn over 1,800 comments on NicoNico, 1,000 of which are “kaawaaiiiiii!”
Police in Saitama City announced that they arrested 22-year-old, Yusuke Sakurai, for allegedly burglarizing homes for cash. However, the money was secondary to his far creepier main objective: cutting off women’s clothes with a pair of scissors while they slept.
Mar 20, 2013
Who says the office is no place for scantily-clad girls with blue hair? Now you can look smart and professional while staying true to your animé roots with the latest in clothing for discerning otaku- the itasuit!
Man Tries his Attempts at Evading Excess Luggage Charges at the Airport by Wearing Over 60 Layers of Clothing!
Dec 31, 2012
As with many trips abroad, the purchasing of souvenirs for your friends and family and admittedly, the occasional gift for yourself is a routine common to most. The time and effort invested in making sure you have something for everyone can take its toll not only mentally, but also on the weight of your luggage upon arrival at the airport. “Just how can I get all this stuff through without being charged a fortune?” is I’m sure a fear that goes through the minds of many. When it comes to airport excess luggage costs, the excess cost itself can sometimes even exceed the actual value of the goods being brought back. Whatever is the case, nobody wants be charged excessively for something they’ve already paid for. Whether it be disposing of the gift’s packaging and then diligently placing it in your hand luggage, or if it happen to be a fashion accessory or item of clothing, wearing it as if it were your own, having some form of strategy is arguably better than being completely defenseless against the wrath that is the custom and excise department.
The other day, a man passing though China’s Kantan airport took this idea of ‘wearing your luggage’ to the extreme. Admittedly wrapping yourself in a couple of extra layers isn’t really any reason to warrant criticism and I’m sure it’s something many of us have considered at some point. What we’re talking about here is the act of piling on countless number of layers of clothing at once! Without question, such outrageousness cannot help but raise the suspicion of the airport staff.
Why should girls be the only ones allowed to stay toasty warm in winter?
Fed up with getting the chills and knowing that winter was only just beginning, RocketNews24‘s resident adventurer and male model Mr. Sato was feeling rather down in the dumps this week. But when news arrived that nearby Ikebukuro Tobu department store had begun selling a new range of stockings and ultra-warm underwear just for men, his face lit up with the warmth of a thousand suns and he was out the door in mere seconds.
Barely an hour later, he arrived back at RocketNews Towers ready to try his latest purchases on for us.
As you can see from the photo above, it was quite the show.
As great as touchscreen-operated mobile devices are, they’re a real pain in the neck when it comes to winter and you have to pull off your gloves to operate them.
It’s fine if you stop in a cafe or restaurant where you can slip your gloves off and type a quick message or check an email, but when an unexpected phonecall comes in and you’re left swiping at the unlock screen like a cat pawing at the TV during a nature show, you soon grow to hate using a smartphone in winter.
Gloves with special metal fibres in the tips have been on the market for a couple of years now, but they’re not always of the greatest quality. And even if you do find a decent pair, what if you already have a pair of gloves that you’re attached to and would rather use instead?
Japanese company Onsight might just have the perfect solution…
- Watch out for slang: 10 outdated words to make you sound like a “hoddypeak” in Japanese1
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】2
- Hefty is the new sexy! Spanish artist does big things with Photoshop, upsizes celebrities3
- Goku vs. Frieza! Dragon Ball Z’s heroes and villains star in epic dance-off/soda commercials4
- Miso soup anime ads are so touching they’ll warm your heart as the soup warms your tummy5
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby6
- Everyone’s favorite blue-black-white-gold dress, now available in fanart!7
- Korean MMORPG redefines character customization with adjustable wrinkles, bone structure8
- We bet you don’t love natto as much as these Shiba Inu puppies! 【Video】9
- Boys’ turn: The top 10 most common shonen manga scenarios, according to Japanese fans10
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby1
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens2
- ISIS-inspired gang kills middle school boy: “We’ll cut off your head while you’re still alive!”3
- Fan film ‘Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope’ – two years in the making, but well worth the wait【Video】4
- Japanese netizens rediscover “Full Armor Game Boy,” question how the ’90s defined portability5
- “Hell on Earth” as Tokyo subway station floods with sewage6
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】7
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!8
- Revenge bento show us it’s a dish best served cold (and boxed) with insults and hidden chilies9
- Online seller pulls cruel trick, sells pencil lead photographed alongside Nintendo 3DS XL10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】3
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it4
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens5
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】6
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead7
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet8
- The number one thing that foreign men find “not so kawaii” about Japanese women9
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】8
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones9
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】10
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby
- Everyone’s favorite blue-black-white-gold dress, now available in fanart!
- Korean MMORPG redefines character customization with adjustable wrinkles, bone structure
- We bet you don’t love natto as much as these Shiba Inu puppies! 【Video】
- Boys’ turn: The top 10 most common shonen manga scenarios, according to Japanese fans
- Japan’s newest idol group, KBG84, hails from Okinawa, has an average age of 84
- We live the high life with wine aged in the depths of Japan’s seas
- Japanese netizens rediscover “Full Armor Game Boy,” question how the ’90s defined portability
- From lotus root to alcohol: Are powdered foods the next big boom in Japan?
- ISIS-inspired gang kills middle school boy: “We’ll cut off your head while you’re still alive!”
- It’s not just Girls’ Day! Cats enjoy Hina Matsuri, look just purr-fect posing with dolls
- Why do most concerts held in Japan prohibit taking pictures?
- Chinese Photoshop trolls part 5: Testing the limits of the PS masters!【Photos】