The “Cool Japan Promotion Organization,” an organization dedicated to bringing traditional and popular Japanese culture to countries overseas through various business projects, has announced their plans to open a Japanese mall in the Chinese city of Ningbo, Zhejiang. The mall will provide shoppers with a unique Japanese shopping experience, including clothing stores and anime theaters, alongside other distinctly Japanese businesses.
Uniforms are worn all over the world by many different groups of people to visually proclaim their association. There’s military uniforms, nurse uniforms, fireman uniforms, flight attendant uniforms, and the one that many people probably have personal experience with – school uniforms. We take the uniforms we see in our own countries for granted, but of course with different cultures come different dress codes. Some countries want their students dressed traditionally, others allow a lot of freedom for them to express their own styles. So read on to take a look at some of Asia’s schoolgirls – eyes on the uniforms, please!
Winter is not just coming, it has arrived. The nights are cold and Japanese homes with their relatively poor insulation are no warmer than a popsicle fresh from the freezer. Fortunately, that also means Uniqlo is delivering their latest line of warm wear.
With everything from fleece sweaters to cashmere knits, you can always count on the Japanese clothing company to keep you warm for a reasonable price. You can also count on their stylish commercials to appear like clockwork each winter to announce their latest and greatest.
But a recent rediscovery of two 20-year-old Uniqlo commercials has left us shocked–and howling with laughter!
- Rachel Tackett
Sep 24, 2013
Currently, the new arrivals section of the Evangelion Store, an online shop filled all our favorite robot-driving, angel-fighting merchandise, lists a very special lingerie set based directly off of a camisole worn by Asuka in the second new Evangelion movie. Unfortunately for fans of the second child, the item is already sold out and in need of restocking. We’ll try to pretend that’s not creepy, considering the character is only 14… Read More
There’s a so much talk over the level of customer service in Japan that you’d expect the locals to become desensitized to it before long. But every once in a while, a business raises the bar so much that even Japanese people can’t believe it.
One such business can be found in the posh Azabu-Juban area of Tokyo: a dry cleaner called Rejouir that is the one place that will take a paint-stained Hermes coat when no one else would dare try. One after another, customers including boutiques and other cleaners walk away satisfied. To those people, Rejouir’s president Takeshi Furuta is often referred to as “Kami” (god).
- Casey Baseel
Sep 13, 2013
We were recently duped into thinking some high-quality pieces of Sailor Moon fan art were from the upcoming new installment in the anime franchise. In light of this, we’ve decided to be more skeptical about news concerning the lunar-themed heroine.
From now on, we’re not believing anything until we’re holding the real deal in our own two hands! Which is just what we did with a set of adult-size Sailor Moon bibs.
- Philip Kendall
Sep 11, 2013
SuperDry, the hugely popular brand from UK-based clothing company SuperGroup plc, has become the subject of great amusement here in Japan this week as photos showing numerous articles of clothing branded with nonsensical Japanese phrases show that it’s not just garbled English that exists in the world of fashion.
From sweatshirts pairing the words “Track & Field” with the Japanese characters for “Clever Weather Company” to shirts that randomly scream “Do iiit!” there’s plenty to keep Japanese speakers smiling, and for Westerners to beware of.
Welcome to the other side of the coin!
- Paula Gerhold
Sep 10, 2013
People from every corner of the globe are pumped for the new season of the anime Kuroko no Basuke (or the laughable English title, “The Basketball which Kuroko Plays”). In honor of the start of the fall anime season, Japanese clothing brand, earth music & ecology came out with a new line of clothes inspired by the characters in the show. Though the brand itself is quite trendy, comments on the basketball-inspired cardigans and dresses were lukewarm at best.
- Andrew Miller
Aug 15, 2013
It is a problem that faces most of us at some point or another. Whether it be a get together at a friend’s house or a social gathering where you take off your shoes, having someone point out to you that there’s a gaping hole in one of your socks can be a little embarrassing. While for many in the West it isn’t that often you have to remove your shoes in public, in Japan many restaurants require you to get down to your socks before entering the premises. Therefore, it is much more difficult to disguise the problem if you’re living in the land of the rising sun. Well that was up until now: some clever fellas at a Japanese company named “Naigai” have come up with an ingenious invention for men that could put an end to the problem for good.
“Chirarizumu” is the art of giving someone a brief glimpse of something—like an “accidental” nipslip or bending over at the right moment to let someone see a flash of your thong. Think of it as a sort of subtle seduction techinque, if you will.
Well, these clothes, created by the Tokyo clothing company One Better, take a sideways glance at “chirarizumu” and scoff! Instead of playing hard to get, this line of t-shirts and shorts will have you baring it all.
- John Stuart Translations
Jun 18, 2013
Causal clothing retail giant UNIQLO announced last week it would introduce a line of women’s and kids’ shorts themed on Baskin-Robbins ice-cream flavors from June 24.
Gather around boys and girls, we’re going to hear a frank and serious story about smelly farts, butts, underpants, and old people smell. More importantly, this story is about the man who may make all of these things extinct.
This story follows the creation of Inodore, a Japanese-made material that did something to stop not only fart smells, but a range of other body odors deemed “unpleasant” by society. This company has found a method to eliminate foul smells from the body without the use of any harmful chemicals or powerful perfumes.
Their clothing products currently on sale can trap and eliminate everyday body odors like sweat and gas by over 95%, 80% of which is erased in the first 30 seconds of contact.
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos2
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today3
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman6
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment7
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares8
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break9
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Hanahana are some of the most elegant and expensive sparklers ever made
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers