Make love not war. Isn’t that what the T-shirts say? And the new record-breaking condom making waves in China could encourage people to do just that. The Japanese-made world’s thinnest condom has been quite a hit overseas, sparking an underground trade in prophylactics. At just 0.01 millimetres thick, it’s probably the only product where the less you get the happier you are.
43-Year-Old Taiwanese Man Arrested for Stealing Box of Condoms, Booooooy Are His Parents Gonna Be Mad
May 15, 2013
It’s a familiar coming-of-age scenario for many a young man. Things with the girlfriend are progressing well and it’s time to round third into the home plate. However, there are still condoms to get. How do you confront the judgmental gaze of the minimum wage cashier who in reality couldn’t care less what you’re up to?
One young Taiwanese lad at the tender age of 43 faced with this dilemma opted to steal a box of condoms rather than deal with the awkwardness of buying them legally, and as such has become international news.
Gomu Yokki Aisu (Ice Cream Filled Rubber) is an age-old frozen treat in Japan. As the name suggests it’s a balloon filled-up with ice cream which is gradually sucked out from one end when cut or chewed off.
Enjoyed by young and old, it’s a relatively clean way to serve up some ice cream on a hot day.
And I will never eat one again thanks to a young woman named Sharla who pointed out something that should have been painfully obvious to everyone in Japan in her video titled Japanese Condom Ice Cream.
Most of us as some point or another have found a strand of hair in our food. Perhaps the more lucky of us have come across an insect or two. These are all understandable mishaps that are best forgiven and forgotten; we’re only human and a little fly in the soup never hurt anyone.
For a bit of perspective, imagine if you found a used condom mixed in with a bowl of rice you ordered at your school cafeteria, which is what actually happened to one unfortunate student at an unnamed university in Beijing.
Now that’s something to raise a fuss about; and the student did, confronting the kitchen staff with the slimy rubber topping. You’ll never guess how they responded…
Dec 2, 2012
Yes, you read the title correctly: while Americans are stocking their shopping carts with presents for their friends and family, Japanese shoppers are fighting over the last box of Mega Big Boys.
Okay, that may be slightly exaggerated, but according to JEX Condoms, sales of condoms in Japan increase by roughly 8% around the winter holidays, the bulk of which is thought to occur before or during Christmas Eve.
But why? Do Japanese people have nothing better to stuff their stockings with? Not quite, and to understand why condoms sell so well on the holiest of nights, we need to take a look at how the holiday is celebrated by many people in the country.
We’re sure we all have things that we’d rather our parents didn’t see. That folder within a folder within a folder on the computer titled “schoolwork” that isn’t really anything of the sort; that moustache waxing kit at the back of the drawer; the small collection of letters penned by an old love…
But a parents discovering – and then returning – a condom is perhaps one of the worst experiences a young man or women living at home can have.
Spare a thought, then, for the poor chap who discovered this misplaced condom along with a note from his mother waiting for him when he returned home one evening.
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme4
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos5
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile9
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art3
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less4
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’7
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- We Order Whopper With 1050 Bacon Strips, Struggle to Level Comically Huge Burger10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Japanese netizens show love for “English Toast” which is neither English nor Toast
- From mermaids to monsters: The taxidermy mummies on show in Japan【Photos】
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- How long does Kagoshima need to convince us to visit? With this video, just two minutes
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window