Make love not war. Isn’t that what the T-shirts say? And the new record-breaking condom making waves in China could encourage people to do just that. The Japanese-made world’s thinnest condom has been quite a hit overseas, sparking an underground trade in prophylactics. At just 0.01 millimetres thick, it’s probably the only product where the less you get the happier you are.
43-Year-Old Taiwanese Man Arrested for Stealing Box of Condoms, Booooooy Are His Parents Gonna Be Mad
- Master Blaster
May 15, 2013
It’s a familiar coming-of-age scenario for many a young man. Things with the girlfriend are progressing well and it’s time to round third into the home plate. However, there are still condoms to get. How do you confront the judgmental gaze of the minimum wage cashier who in reality couldn’t care less what you’re up to?
One young Taiwanese lad at the tender age of 43 faced with this dilemma opted to steal a box of condoms rather than deal with the awkwardness of buying them legally, and as such has become international news.
Gomu Yokki Aisu (Ice Cream Filled Rubber) is an age-old frozen treat in Japan. As the name suggests it’s a balloon filled-up with ice cream which is gradually sucked out from one end when cut or chewed off.
Enjoyed by young and old, it’s a relatively clean way to serve up some ice cream on a hot day.
And I will never eat one again thanks to a young woman named Sharla who pointed out something that should have been painfully obvious to everyone in Japan in her video titled Japanese Condom Ice Cream.
Most of us as some point or another have found a strand of hair in our food. Perhaps the more lucky of us have come across an insect or two. These are all understandable mishaps that are best forgiven and forgotten; we’re only human and a little fly in the soup never hurt anyone.
For a bit of perspective, imagine if you found a used condom mixed in with a bowl of rice you ordered at your school cafeteria, which is what actually happened to one unfortunate student at an unnamed university in Beijing.
Now that’s something to raise a fuss about; and the student did, confronting the kitchen staff with the slimy rubber topping. You’ll never guess how they responded…
Yes, you read the title correctly: while Americans are stocking their shopping carts with presents for their friends and family, Japanese shoppers are fighting over the last box of Mega Big Boys.
Okay, that may be slightly exaggerated, but according to JEX Condoms, sales of condoms in Japan increase by roughly 8% around the winter holidays, the bulk of which is thought to occur before or during Christmas Eve.
But why? Do Japanese people have nothing better to stuff their stockings with? Not quite, and to understand why condoms sell so well on the holiest of nights, we need to take a look at how the holiday is celebrated by many people in the country.
We’re sure we all have things that we’d rather our parents didn’t see. That folder within a folder within a folder on the computer titled “schoolwork” that isn’t really anything of the sort; that moustache waxing kit at the back of the drawer; the small collection of letters penned by an old love…
But a parents discovering – and then returning – a condom is perhaps one of the worst experiences a young man or women living at home can have.
Spare a thought, then, for the poor chap who discovered this misplaced condom along with a note from his mother waiting for him when he returned home one evening.
- How to properly pronounce “Ghibli” and other fun trivia about the legendary animation studio1
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】4
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all5
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】6
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】7
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】8
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films9
- Mysterious fire materializes inside Saitama train station on Tuesday10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- Mysterious fire materializes inside Saitama train station on Tuesday
- Artist paints Totoro, classic Japanese artwork, and more, all on pregnant women’s stomachs
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Want a bit of One Piece magic? This real-looking Devil Fruit is sure to set the right mood!
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】