Make love not war. Isn’t that what the T-shirts say? And the new record-breaking condom making waves in China could encourage people to do just that. The Japanese-made world’s thinnest condom has been quite a hit overseas, sparking an underground trade in prophylactics. At just 0.01 millimetres thick, it’s probably the only product where the less you get the happier you are.
43-Year-Old Taiwanese Man Arrested for Stealing Box of Condoms, Booooooy Are His Parents Gonna Be Mad
May 15, 2013
It’s a familiar coming-of-age scenario for many a young man. Things with the girlfriend are progressing well and it’s time to round third into the home plate. However, there are still condoms to get. How do you confront the judgmental gaze of the minimum wage cashier who in reality couldn’t care less what you’re up to?
One young Taiwanese lad at the tender age of 43 faced with this dilemma opted to steal a box of condoms rather than deal with the awkwardness of buying them legally, and as such has become international news.
Gomu Yokki Aisu (Ice Cream Filled Rubber) is an age-old frozen treat in Japan. As the name suggests it’s a balloon filled-up with ice cream which is gradually sucked out from one end when cut or chewed off.
Enjoyed by young and old, it’s a relatively clean way to serve up some ice cream on a hot day.
And I will never eat one again thanks to a young woman named Sharla who pointed out something that should have been painfully obvious to everyone in Japan in her video titled Japanese Condom Ice Cream.
Most of us as some point or another have found a strand of hair in our food. Perhaps the more lucky of us have come across an insect or two. These are all understandable mishaps that are best forgiven and forgotten; we’re only human and a little fly in the soup never hurt anyone.
For a bit of perspective, imagine if you found a used condom mixed in with a bowl of rice you ordered at your school cafeteria, which is what actually happened to one unfortunate student at an unnamed university in Beijing.
Now that’s something to raise a fuss about; and the student did, confronting the kitchen staff with the slimy rubber topping. You’ll never guess how they responded…
Dec 2, 2012
Yes, you read the title correctly: while Americans are stocking their shopping carts with presents for their friends and family, Japanese shoppers are fighting over the last box of Mega Big Boys.
Okay, that may be slightly exaggerated, but according to JEX Condoms, sales of condoms in Japan increase by roughly 8% around the winter holidays, the bulk of which is thought to occur before or during Christmas Eve.
But why? Do Japanese people have nothing better to stuff their stockings with? Not quite, and to understand why condoms sell so well on the holiest of nights, we need to take a look at how the holiday is celebrated by many people in the country.
We’re sure we all have things that we’d rather our parents didn’t see. That folder within a folder within a folder on the computer titled “schoolwork” that isn’t really anything of the sort; that moustache waxing kit at the back of the drawer; the small collection of letters penned by an old love…
But a parents discovering – and then returning – a condom is perhaps one of the worst experiences a young man or women living at home can have.
Spare a thought, then, for the poor chap who discovered this misplaced condom along with a note from his mother waiting for him when he returned home one evening.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours2
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors3
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 34
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony5
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village6
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing7
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】8
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts9
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- There’s a Doraemon Christmas tree in Singapore
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Hadoken! The LINE stickers we’ve all been waiting for: Street Fighter II