It seems our favorite giant rubber duck is in deep trouble again! Following its deflating experience at Taoyuan, it has risen to the headlines again while visiting Keelung, the last stop of its Taiwan tour. This time around, not only was it put up to the trials of bad weather, a series of marketing and planning hiccups due to miscommunication with the art piece’s creator put the big yellow fellow through a whirlwind of media reports. But what exactly went wrong?
Japan Starts High Seas Squirt-Gun Fight With Taiwan, Pushes Fishing Boat Flotilla Out of Contested Waters
Sep 26, 2012
Alright, let’s recap.
Last Tuesday, a flotilla of Taiwanese fishing boats was rumored to have set off for the disputed Senkaku islands, located near the Japanese islands of Okinawa, seeking to assert their ownership among China and Japan.
At around 6 a.m. on Sept. 25, the 50-strong Taiwanese flotilla arrived in the disputed waters. At least eight patrol ships were sailing alongside the fishing vessels and many of the boats were displaying banners reading “We swear to defend the Senkaku islands!”
Japanese coastguard patrol boats moved in to intercept the tiny fleet and warned them to vacate the area. However, the Taiwanese boats maintained their position, asserting that they were in Taiwanese waters and their presence perfectly legitimate. Tensions were running high and it seemed only a matter of time before the conflict turned hostile.
And that’s when Japan decided to bring out the big guns.
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter2
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene3
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently4
- When first-try character bentos go wrong 【Photos】5
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】6
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it7
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)8
- Transform a sushi mat into a stylish makeup tool organizer in just a few steps!9
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- Transform a sushi mat into a stylish makeup tool organizer in just a few steps!
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!
- A little perspective: Malaysian graphic designer cleverly mixes movie posters and real life
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Celebrate New Years in Pokémon style — with a monster ball filled with traditional osechi food!
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- It’s BAAAACK! The Tower Cheeseburger from Lotteria — but for ONE DAY only!