Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s finally time to announce our Pic of the Week!
It’s that time again, folks: the polls are now open for this week’s Pic of the Week!
Join us after the jump to see our 10 favourite photos and to choose the one that you think most deserves to win.
Ladies and gentlemen of das internets, we have a winner!
This week’s contest was the closest yet, with just one percent of the vote between the photos that claimed first and second place. Our Pic of the Week, plus two honourable mentions, await you after the jump.
It’s Monday evening here in Japan, and that can mean only one thing – it’s time to vote for our Pic of the Week! Join us after the jump for 10 superb photos taken by our very own readers and to vote for the one you think deserves to be crowned Pic of the Week.
Babies and gentlephlegm, noise and churls, it’s time to announce the winner of our weekly photo contest!
This week, we mixed things up a little by asking you, our dear readers, to vote for which of our 10 favourite photos you thought most deserved to be crowned Pic of the Week, and the results are in! Join us after the jump for our overall winner and two very special mentions!
As mentioned at the end of last week’s Pic of the Week, we’ve decided to open the contest up and make it as fair as possible by asking you, the good-looking, intelligent, art-appreciating people that you are, to decide this week’s overall winner.
So join us after the jump to see this week’s photos and vote on which you think deserves to win the right to be called Pic of the Week.
Heads up, photo fans! It’s time to announce the winner of our weekly photo contest.
The number of professional-quality photos we received this week was nothing short of staggering, and it took a long, long time for us to decide on one overall winner (and of course three very honourable mentions!), but here we go…
This summer, Japanese gaming site Dengeki Online invites you to vote for the No. 1 beautiful girl game app character in a swimsuit!
There are 85 entries in all, from a total of 35 games and 22 companies. We’ve got beach cuties, busty babes, and goddess types, all waiting for your viewing pleasure. Even if you don’t have a thing for anime-style girls, you can at least admire the gorgeous artwork! Which character do you think looks the cutest in a swimsuit?
Aug 13, 2014
Chinese tech company OnePlus is holding a contest requesting that women send in photos of themselves in order to score an invite to purchase its wildly popular phone, the OnePlus One.
As part of the contest, women must either write the OnePlus logo on their body or hold up a piece of paper showing the company’s symbol. Only women are permitted to enter the competition, and the entrant with the most likes on her photo wins an invitation to buy the $300 OnePlus One.
Aug 7, 2014
Hey, you! You like taking pictures don’t you? Well how would you like to have your best snaps up on RocketNews24 for all the world to see?
Every Wednesday, we’re running a fun little contest called Pic of the Week. All you have to do to enter is send us an Asia-related photo that you’re especially proud of or think your fellow readers would enjoy. If we like it, we’ll feature it on our site and maybe even say nice things about you.
Apr 21, 2014
2014 marks 25 years as a band for the pillows. They are celebrating with a song entitled “Happy Birthday,” and also by announcing a cover and dance contest. For those with the misfortune of not knowing who the pillows are, they are a Japanese rock band whose style has changed over the last 25 years from pop to jazz experimentation to alternative rock.
Many of the band’s fans outside of Japan became acquainted with them through the six-episode animated series, FLCL, for which the pillows provided the music. The caffeinated, crunchy soundtrack is the perfect complement to the nonsensical but purely fun plot that includes a robot that emerges from a boy’s head wound, the spirit of a powerful pirate king and the sexy maniac who hunts him down riding a Vespa with an electric bass as a weapon.
Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta (Cockroach Control Meister) is a service that helps provide estimates for the removal of terrifying cockroaches in the home. Thousands rely on them to kill off the shiny black terrors in kitchens and bedrooms across the country.
However, the company has apparently felt a pang of guilt recently. They feel that the roaches have done no wrong and are simply trying to exist just like everyone else. And so, the company has created Itsuki Kurohane: the cockroach moe girl to help combat the centuries of vilification unfairly handed down to these creatures.
Over the next month Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta is holding a contest to give away five Itsuki Kurohane hug pillows, but there’s a catch – besides her being a half-roach-half-human thing.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 20, 2013
“Aww, are you two twins?” “No, that’s my mom!” Though this conversation may not be heard often, popular Chinese website, Weibo, has proven it surely must take place. The site has created a contest to find the hottest mom in China and the applicants are impressive. MILF jokes aside, these women are seriously attractive and in some cases it’s hard to tell the difference between mother and daughter.
Dec 7, 2013
The sleek metropolis of Tokyo welcomes most foreign visitors to Japan, but bustling, friendly Osaka is making a bid to be a major international gateway and attraction for foreign visitors in its own right. With that goal in mind, they’ve just announced a Japanese pop culture event to be held in March of next year called the Osaka Pop Festival, and they’re looking for a few good designers and the best cosplay get-up you can muster.
Aug 10, 2013
Earlier this week, we brought you news that voting was open for the “natural” round of this year’s Miss-Con, or rather the Kanto region’s Miss Cutest High School Girl.
Comments came in ranging from the generous (“They’re all beautiful!”) to the cautionary (“Jailbait!”) here and on our dedicated Facebook page, and for a while it looked like we might never agree on who was the cutest of the nine finalists, but we can finally reveal that the winner is none other than…
Jul 23, 2013
Upcoming Nintendo 3DS title Gyakuten Saiban 5 (known in the English-speaking world as Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies) may still be a couple of months away from release in the West, but gamers in Japan are already charging their portable consoles in preparation for its launch this Thursday.
Developer Capcom, too, is helping fans get back into detective mode after their brief hiatus by asking visitors to the official Phoenix Wright website to investigate a crime scene and spot the contradictions in three witness statements. Those who can successfully solve the puzzle will be entered into a prize draw to win one of 50 ‘blood pillows’ designed to transform any sleeping gamer into the victim of a grizzly cartoon murder.
Earlier this month, McDonald’s Japan announced the grand prize winner of its Big Mac Award Art Contest. The results inspired a great deal of online debate, as is often the case with topics as subjective as art and design. What the judges see as artistic and inspired might look like a mess to the greater masses. Read on for a taste of the juicy reactions to this creative burger art. Read More
Apr 6, 2013
Yuki Jirushi Coffee is a brand that pretty much everyone in Japan is familiar with. Available in supermarkets, convenience stores and even vending machines all over the country, Yuki Jirushi (lit. “snow mark”)’s sweet and creamy café au lait has been delighting coffee lovers for 50 years.
In celebration the country’s undying love for the chilled caffeinated beverage and wanting to spruce up its familiar yet somewhat uninspired packaging, Yuki Jirushi Coffee’s makers have teamed up with pixiv to launch a contest asking fans with a passion for doodling to come up with a mascot character to adorn the coffee cartons.
Mar 19, 2013
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) are joining forces on the Global Precipitation Measurement Project (GPM Project).
Now that all the abbreviations are out of the way, the two space agencies are holding a manga character contest to find some 2-D spokespeople (or spokesthings) to represent this project in promotional and educational materials.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】2
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors3
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked4
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】5
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?6
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks7
- Detached female hand iPhone cases are here to provide…emotional comfort?8
- North Korea bars foreign tourists to prevent spread of Ebola9
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid6
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back7
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest8
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Detached female hand iPhone cases are here to provide…emotional comfort?
- North Korea bars foreign tourists to prevent spread of Ebola
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children
- You’ll never want to stop cleaning with this penguin mop topper
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing