Check out these home-made gaming-themed treats and get some inspiration for your own baked goods!
Nov 27, 2015
Despite the popularity of goodies like Kit Kats and Oreos around the world, most countries sell only the original flavors of such snacks with perhaps one or two flavor variations on the side. This area, however, is where Japan goes totally nuts with novel and often downright bizarre marketing campaigns to introduce the latest flavors of ordinary snacks—just ask anyone who’s ever had the courage to try wasabi Kit Kats or strawberry chocolate-covered shrimp chips!
Case in point, confectionery and baked goods company Yamazaki Nabisco has unveiled its newest flavor of the popular Oreo cookie: rum raisin.
Jul 14, 2015
With less than a month to go before the release of the live-action Attack on Titan film in Japan, related merchandise and tie-in collaborations have brought us everything from point cards to hot dogs in recent days.
Whether you’re anxiously awaiting the movie’s opening date here in Japan or further abroad, there’s one way everyone can join in the celebrations: with a giant Oreo cookie. Check out the delicious recipe after the jump, complete with all the mouth-watering step-by-step details. A snack this sweet and giant-sized is sure to stop any Colossal Titan in its tracks!
May 22, 2015
One thing we definitely have plenty of in Japan is sweets, be it cookies, chocolates, ice cream or cakes. From sakura flavored treats to mochi-infused ice cream, you don’t have to look too hard to find a dessert that captures your fancy, whatever your mood happens to be. Interestingly, one trend we seem to be seeing in recent years is the increasing popularity of Japanese confections in the Middle East, the U.A.E. in particular.
Now, it’s quite common these days to see a popular snack or dessert from one country become a huge hit in another part of the world, but one Japanese treat that apparently has been acquiring a growing number of fans in the U.A.E. is not the latest dessert fad to hit Tokyo, nor is it created from a unique and unexpected combination of Japanese ingredients. It’s a conventional, albeit tasty, Western-style cookie, and what’s more, these cookies have been around here in Japan for over four decades!
Naturally, we bought a box and tried them to see what makes them so special!
Apr 14, 2015
Recently we’ve been going crazy over kitty kitchen cookware, like the adorable kitty knife we featured a little while back. But our quest for kittycat-themed culinary goods is still ongoing, and this amazing kitty rolling-pin by Etsy seller Mood For Wood has got us seriously craving some freshly baked cookies, pronto!
Dec 3, 2014
For the most part, cookies in Japan are crunchy little things. One very notable exception, though, is confectioner Fujiya’s Country Ma’am line, which are soft, chewy, and also absolutely delicious.
What makes Country Ma’am cookies so good is how moist they are, and now confectioner Fujiya is taking that one step further by turning them into a drink! We got our hands on a few cans of this miraculous beverage, and while it’s still early in our relationship, we think we may be in love.
Nov 9, 2014
When making a good commercial, the advertiser must attract the viewer’s attention and leave a lasting impression. At times this could be by highlighting the truly amazing feature of a product or with a truly memorable character like the Noid. You all remember him, right…right?
Now, the “3+2” line of sandwich cookies by Chinese brand Master Kong may have struck gold with a truly engaging character to promote it. We’ll call him the Boy Who Constantly Stumbles Into Prison Sex Situations. If that doesn’t make you hungry, then I don’t know what will.
Oct 30, 2014
Art lovers and foodies rejoice! Japan now has cupcakes so beautiful that they should probably be considered works of art, but are in fact delicious hand-made goodies meant for eating.
But could they be SO beautiful, so detailed, so mesmerizingly dainty in Japanese styles and patterns, that it would be a waste or even blasphemous to ruin them through our crude form of consumption, lost forever via our vast digestive tract? I probably wouldn’t go that far, but they are fantastically elegant and a slight hesitation to appreciate the detail before digging in would probably be in order, if not inevitable.
Some people say if something tastes good, it has to be bad for you. We understand that they’re usually talking about sugary, salty, or fatty foods, and nutritionally speaking, they’ve kind of got a point.
But while we definitely wouldn’t classify any of them as low-calorie, diet-friendly snacks, we still can’t bring ourselves to use the word “bad” in describing these adorable cat cakes and lattes.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Aug 27, 2014
Think you can identify all the prefectures of Japan? Yeah, neither can we. But that’s okay because now with the help of this impressively accurate cookie cutter set, you can study and eat a map of Japan at the same time. Mmmm, knowledge.
Pretty much everyone loves Oreos, and therein lies the problem. Even if you just picked up a pack on your last visit to the grocery store, odds are you, or someone else, has already gone through whatever stock you had in the house.
Case in point: right now we’re completely out of Oreos, and we’re not about to go out to buy more in the downpour that’s drenching Tokyo right now. While some people with less vision (or healthier eating habits) might patiently endure the hardship of no cookies, we decided instead to make our own Oreos from scratch with an incredibly simple recipe.
For hungry people in the mood for something either salty or sweet the above picture might be a little confusing. It’s a fast food combo sculpted entirely in the medium of cookie, a perennial favorite of all artistic mediums. Although confusing like when you see the word “purple” written in an orange font, this little cheeseburger, cola, and fries look undeniably delicious.
With all the different ways to stay in touch these days–from text messages to email to tweets to late night drunk dials-it often feels like we’re losing out on making real connections with people. At least, that’s what the grumpy TV pundits tell us, and maybe they’re right. After all, when was the last time you sat down and thought out a nice, sincere message, instead of just dashing off a quick “I C, LOL, KTHNXBAI, TTYL”?
Some of you may even be so young that you don’t remember getting letters in the mail!
Well, despite the grumblings of elder generations, that old form of communication is almost gone, but there is one last bastion of hope for all the letter writers out there: Cookie Mail!
Oct 30, 2013
The best part of any meal is dessert. In fact, there are some days that we just skip the rest of the meal and go right for the cake! And there’s nothing better than a delicious pastry…except maybe delicious pastries in the forms of our favorite characters!
Are you ready for Totoro cakes, Alice In Wonderland cupcakes, and kitty lattes? If so, click below for the best photos of themed pastries as selected by Japanese Twitter users. They’re sure to set your mouth watering and your stomach rumbling!
Sep 27, 2013
Japan is wild about dessert cafes and pastry shops. From donuts to pretzels to cakes, the nation’s sweet-tooth knows no bounds, and you’ll find baked sugary treats almost anywhere in the city. “So what makes this new store special?” you ask. Well, it’s not your typical sweet shop, but in fact an all-you-can-eat cookie buffet!
This Wednesday, a new location for the popular dessert chain Aunt Stella’s Cookies opened up in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro. And Aunt Stella has cooked up a bunch of tasty specials to celebrate the move!
There are few things with the power to excite and abhor travellers more than foreign versions of sweets and cookies that exist back home. Even though we pass them by dozens of times a day in supermarkets and convenience stores in our own country, spot M&M’s, Doritos or even a Kit-Kat in a land where everything else is alien, and immediately we feel like home is not so far away; it’s like running into a friend from your home town during your first week of college where everything else is scary and unknown. What happens, though, if that same friend has a weird new haircut and is affecting some peculiar accent just because they’re in an unfamiliar town?
Oreo Sticks, a snack exclusive to Japan, will likely have the very same unnerving effect on snackophiles. With packaging familiar to millions, yet containing a snack entirely different to those we’re used to, Oreo Sticks have the potential to shatter cookie fans’ dreams, but with a little courage they could also be something quite wonderful.
Jun 19, 2013
We previously reported on the development of two kinds of new chocolate chip cookies based on the traditional Japanese snacks, castella and karinto, released by Fujiya and their popular soft cookie line, Country Ma’am.
Well, today’s the day these cookies were released to the hungry public, so we snatched up a few bags to see how the American taste of a chocolate chip cookie adopts these two Japanese tastes. Our full, lips-on review after the break!
Jun 8, 2013
Who doesn’t like to kick back and enjoy a chocolate chip cookie every once in a while? Every country has a go-to brand of prepackaged chewy chocolate chip cookies. You know, the kind that you can put in the toaster over and make all warm and gooey… ahh yes.
In Japan the leading brand of these cookies has got to be Country Ma’am. Although they’re eternally available in plain (called vanilla), chocolate chip, and double chocolate chip flavors, this line of cookies is well known for its countless limited-time-only specialty flavors such as strawberry, cheesecake, iced tea, pancake, pumpkin, and green tea to name but a few.
However, this time they are coming out with two specialty flavors based on a pair of traditional Japanese desserts, to create a truly Japanese chocolate chip cookie experience.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Sep 14, 2012
Are you familiar with the Q-pot brand of jewelry? It could get a bit sticky if your tried wearing it on your next night out on the town, but it certainly is attractive, and tasty!
That is because Q-pot Cafe arranges chocolates, cupcakes and macaroons into delightful rings, bracelets, and necklaces! Never before has there ever been such delectable mouth-watering jewelry, something that is served up in the most appealing manner at the Q-pot cafe. Read More
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants1
- And the winner of the Street Fighter V “Miss Chun-Li Cosplay Contest” is… Zangief?!2
- Promo for Yanagawa City is filled with the beauty of Japan, adorable dancing girls【Video】3
- Japanese university student makes stunning wooden clock that literally writes the time 【Video】4
- Hyperactive squirrels have captured the attention of Twitter users…and these two cats!【Video】5
- This tsundere-prone steampunk ramen timer is kind of impractical, totally awesome!6
- Japanese chocolates come to life as ikemen “hot guy” anime characters7
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!8
- Japanese Twitter artist illustrates six differences between imagined ideals and reality for women9
- These leggy felt figures are utterly fabulous, totally bootylicious and only barely safe for work10
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants1
- Japanese Twitter artist illustrates six differences between imagined ideals and reality for women2
- Hairdresser creates unique formulations to match clients’ hair colour with their favourite anime star3
- Madonna gaffe reminds us how tricky it can be to hold a concert in Asia4
- Cute PC character cushions from Japan protect your wrists, keep you company at the same time5
- World’s first-ever Sakura Pepsi coming to Japan this March6
- Adidas collaborates with singer Rita Ora to create geisha-inspired collection7
- Hate your job? Be honest: Is it really worse than massaging hot supermodels for a living?8
- Is it acceptable to break up via instant message? Japanese men and women weigh in9
- Awesome Goku cosplayer tours city while riding Dragon Ball’s Flying Nimbus10
- Clever and cute cat keyhole bra is only one-fourth of lingerie set’s feline charms 【Photos】1
- Censored cosplay tights: A new concept in keeping your undies hidden at anime conventions2
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】3
- Cosplayer’s grandmother joins photo shoot for most heartwarming Howl’s Moving Castle cosplay ever4
- Japan’s train otaku ruin the sweet story of the lone schoolgirl and her train station5
- Mother’s note to son in the final bento of his high school life gives Twitter the feels6
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!7
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants8
- Upskirt umbrellas are now a thing in Japan9
- New line of skirts promises to give you the slim waist and long legs of an anime heroine 【Photos】10
- Japanese dad teaches daughter how to handle alcohol, has Twitter in tears1
- You can now buy sliced chocolate in Japan—sandwiches will never be the same!2
- Clever and cute cat keyhole bra is only one-fourth of lingerie set’s feline charms 【Photos】3
- The “Venice of Japan” in Kyoto: a secret destination tourists don’t know about yet4
- Censored cosplay tights: A new concept in keeping your undies hidden at anime conventions5
- Upskirt umbrellas are now a thing in Japan6
- Man overjoyed as woman who crashed into his car turns out to be AV star Maria Ozawa【Video】7
- Samurai hoodies are a bushido blend of old-school style and modern fashion 【Photos】8
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】9
- Cosplayer’s grandmother joins photo shoot for most heartwarming Howl’s Moving Castle cosplay ever10
- This tsundere-prone steampunk ramen timer is kind of impractical, totally awesome!
- Japanese chocolates come to life as ikemen “hot guy” anime characters
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!
- Japanese Twitter artist illustrates six differences between imagined ideals and reality for women
- These leggy felt figures are utterly fabulous, totally bootylicious and only barely safe for work
- Traditional ukiyo-e masterpieces come to life in modern collaboration with tech giant NEC!
- Little sister anime star grows up, becomes spokesmodel for Japan’s teen voter education campaign
- Cute PC character cushions from Japan protect your wrists, keep you company at the same time
- Sixth-grader’s tear-jerking essay becomes a project to help stray pets across Japan
- Crafty Dragon Quest Builders player creates Mario Kart-inspired custom race course
- Japanese organizer cats will keep the inside of your bag orderly and adorable at all times
- Dark figure version of Fate anime’s heroine is absolutely amazing and simply scary 【Photos】
- Crossdressing metalhead Ladybeard makes it to the finals of moe contest for cat-eared beauties