You mean we’re supposed to eat these?!
The full-sized Oreo sandwich cookie now comes filled with a delicious green tea matcha cream centre.
Mar 17, 2016
Watch the step-by-step process of how to cook these cute, completely edible cup accessories yourself.
Mar 14, 2016
Two of the world’s great foods combine in these eye-catching sweets.
Check out these home-made gaming-themed treats and get some inspiration for your own baked goods!
Nov 27, 2015
Despite the popularity of goodies like Kit Kats and Oreos around the world, most countries sell only the original flavors of such snacks with perhaps one or two flavor variations on the side. This area, however, is where Japan goes totally nuts with novel and often downright bizarre marketing campaigns to introduce the latest flavors of ordinary snacks—just ask anyone who’s ever had the courage to try wasabi Kit Kats or strawberry chocolate-covered shrimp chips!
Case in point, confectionery and baked goods company Yamazaki Nabisco has unveiled its newest flavor of the popular Oreo cookie: rum raisin.
Jul 14, 2015
With less than a month to go before the release of the live-action Attack on Titan film in Japan, related merchandise and tie-in collaborations have brought us everything from point cards to hot dogs in recent days.
Whether you’re anxiously awaiting the movie’s opening date here in Japan or further abroad, there’s one way everyone can join in the celebrations: with a giant Oreo cookie. Check out the delicious recipe after the jump, complete with all the mouth-watering step-by-step details. A snack this sweet and giant-sized is sure to stop any Colossal Titan in its tracks!
May 22, 2015
One thing we definitely have plenty of in Japan is sweets, be it cookies, chocolates, ice cream or cakes. From sakura flavored treats to mochi-infused ice cream, you don’t have to look too hard to find a dessert that captures your fancy, whatever your mood happens to be. Interestingly, one trend we seem to be seeing in recent years is the increasing popularity of Japanese confections in the Middle East, the U.A.E. in particular.
Now, it’s quite common these days to see a popular snack or dessert from one country become a huge hit in another part of the world, but one Japanese treat that apparently has been acquiring a growing number of fans in the U.A.E. is not the latest dessert fad to hit Tokyo, nor is it created from a unique and unexpected combination of Japanese ingredients. It’s a conventional, albeit tasty, Western-style cookie, and what’s more, these cookies have been around here in Japan for over four decades!
Naturally, we bought a box and tried them to see what makes them so special!
Apr 14, 2015
Recently we’ve been going crazy over kitty kitchen cookware, like the adorable kitty knife we featured a little while back. But our quest for kittycat-themed culinary goods is still ongoing, and this amazing kitty rolling-pin by Etsy seller Mood For Wood has got us seriously craving some freshly baked cookies, pronto!
Dec 3, 2014
For the most part, cookies in Japan are crunchy little things. One very notable exception, though, is confectioner Fujiya’s Country Ma’am line, which are soft, chewy, and also absolutely delicious.
What makes Country Ma’am cookies so good is how moist they are, and now confectioner Fujiya is taking that one step further by turning them into a drink! We got our hands on a few cans of this miraculous beverage, and while it’s still early in our relationship, we think we may be in love.
Nov 9, 2014
When making a good commercial, the advertiser must attract the viewer’s attention and leave a lasting impression. At times this could be by highlighting the truly amazing feature of a product or with a truly memorable character like the Noid. You all remember him, right…right?
Now, the “3+2” line of sandwich cookies by Chinese brand Master Kong may have struck gold with a truly engaging character to promote it. We’ll call him the Boy Who Constantly Stumbles Into Prison Sex Situations. If that doesn’t make you hungry, then I don’t know what will.
Oct 30, 2014
Art lovers and foodies rejoice! Japan now has cupcakes so beautiful that they should probably be considered works of art, but are in fact delicious hand-made goodies meant for eating.
But could they be SO beautiful, so detailed, so mesmerizingly dainty in Japanese styles and patterns, that it would be a waste or even blasphemous to ruin them through our crude form of consumption, lost forever via our vast digestive tract? I probably wouldn’t go that far, but they are fantastically elegant and a slight hesitation to appreciate the detail before digging in would probably be in order, if not inevitable.
Some people say if something tastes good, it has to be bad for you. We understand that they’re usually talking about sugary, salty, or fatty foods, and nutritionally speaking, they’ve kind of got a point.
But while we definitely wouldn’t classify any of them as low-calorie, diet-friendly snacks, we still can’t bring ourselves to use the word “bad” in describing these adorable cat cakes and lattes.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Aug 27, 2014
Think you can identify all the prefectures of Japan? Yeah, neither can we. But that’s okay because now with the help of this impressively accurate cookie cutter set, you can study and eat a map of Japan at the same time. Mmmm, knowledge.
Pretty much everyone loves Oreos, and therein lies the problem. Even if you just picked up a pack on your last visit to the grocery store, odds are you, or someone else, has already gone through whatever stock you had in the house.
Case in point: right now we’re completely out of Oreos, and we’re not about to go out to buy more in the downpour that’s drenching Tokyo right now. While some people with less vision (or healthier eating habits) might patiently endure the hardship of no cookies, we decided instead to make our own Oreos from scratch with an incredibly simple recipe.
For hungry people in the mood for something either salty or sweet the above picture might be a little confusing. It’s a fast food combo sculpted entirely in the medium of cookie, a perennial favorite of all artistic mediums. Although confusing like when you see the word “purple” written in an orange font, this little cheeseburger, cola, and fries look undeniably delicious.
With all the different ways to stay in touch these days–from text messages to email to tweets to late night drunk dials-it often feels like we’re losing out on making real connections with people. At least, that’s what the grumpy TV pundits tell us, and maybe they’re right. After all, when was the last time you sat down and thought out a nice, sincere message, instead of just dashing off a quick “I C, LOL, KTHNXBAI, TTYL”?
Some of you may even be so young that you don’t remember getting letters in the mail!
Well, despite the grumblings of elder generations, that old form of communication is almost gone, but there is one last bastion of hope for all the letter writers out there: Cookie Mail!
Oct 30, 2013
The best part of any meal is dessert. In fact, there are some days that we just skip the rest of the meal and go right for the cake! And there’s nothing better than a delicious pastry…except maybe delicious pastries in the forms of our favorite characters!
Are you ready for Totoro cakes, Alice In Wonderland cupcakes, and kitty lattes? If so, click below for the best photos of themed pastries as selected by Japanese Twitter users. They’re sure to set your mouth watering and your stomach rumbling!
Sep 27, 2013
Japan is wild about dessert cafes and pastry shops. From donuts to pretzels to cakes, the nation’s sweet-tooth knows no bounds, and you’ll find baked sugary treats almost anywhere in the city. “So what makes this new store special?” you ask. Well, it’s not your typical sweet shop, but in fact an all-you-can-eat cookie buffet!
This Wednesday, a new location for the popular dessert chain Aunt Stella’s Cookies opened up in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro. And Aunt Stella has cooked up a bunch of tasty specials to celebrate the move!
- Legendary voice actress Megumi Hayashibara laments derivative anime, loss of 1990s’ ambition1
- Live-action adaptation of anime Fullmetal Alchemist coming to theaters2
- Hungry for art? Japanese cookie artist uses icing to make unbelievable edible masterpieces【Pics】3
- Dragon Ball Fusions game’s Nintendo 3DS bundle, 1st print bonuses unveiled4
- Mr Sato takes a trip to Twitter Japan’s lunch room, gorges on their special menu5
- Japanese textbook tries to cleverly illustrate chemical bonds, but the internet has other ideas6
- Cat wedding and engagement rings by Japanese design house feature gorgeous feline details7
- Swanky Tokyo hotel’s 2.2-pound bacon cheeseburger has us wanting to book a room for the food coma8
- Manga materials website offers thousands of reference poses for budding artists to download9
- Ninja language skills: Boost your Japanese with the power of onomatopoeia10
- 8 types of customer that irk supermarket store clerks in Japan1
- Say sayonara to “sayonara” – 70% of Japanese people don’t use this word for goodbye anymore2
- Japan’s new ukiyo-e passports are going to look awesome3
- AKB48 fan shows his love the only way he knows how: By buying $300,000 worth of CDs4
- Japanese Twitter user snoops under brother’s bed, finds less yet far more than she bargained for5
- Japanese dogs fail to stay calm during earthquake, succeed in bringing smiles to humans’ faces6
- This map predicted how Japan would attack the US during World War II7
- Windows 10’s annoying updates come alive in Twitter artist’s cute yet horrifying manga8
- Japan is getting its first full-scale Legoland amusement park9
- What would Pokémon look like as Gundam mecha? Awesome fan-made models show us 【Photos】10
- A detailed explanation of the bizarre anime hair of Detective Conan’s Ran/Rachel1
- Ju-On’s mother and son monsters start Instagram account, show what they do when not busy haunting2
- 8 Japanese gadgets you wish you had in your country!3
- Japanese hotel guest leaves pile of erotic manga out, gets pleasant surprise from cleaning staff4
- Number fortune-telling: What your birth date can tell you about your own shortcomings5
- She’s cute, but… Three types of girls to watch out for when dating in Japan【Video】6
- Say sayonara to “sayonara” – 70% of Japanese people don’t use this word for goodbye anymore7
- Awesome Captain America and Iron Man Ramen now being served at Tokyo restaurant 【Photos】8
- The people of Japan, defined in one photograph9
- New “theory” emerges as to why some otaku stare at a girl’s chest while she’s talking10
- Japanese craftsmen strike again: Make an old, beaten-up book look as good as new1
- Male teacher in China cosplays as female characters, gets discovered by his own student2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- The train station that stayed open for a single school girl finally closes down4
- Kobushi Shindan: The personality test that you can take just by making a fist5
- Awesome Samurai Armor Hoodies are looking to conquer the whole world/keep you warm6
- Manga materials website offers thousands of reference poses for budding artists to download7
- Real-life Kiki’s Bakery is worth a visit whether you’ve seen the anime it’s based on or not8
- Is anime like reality? Can you flip up a schoolgirl’s skirt just by running past her? 【Video】9
- Japanese university “otaku class” has strict requirements: “You must watch 20 anime per week”10
- Japanese textbook tries to cleverly illustrate chemical bonds, but the internet has other ideas
- Cat wedding and engagement rings by Japanese design house feature gorgeous feline details
- Swanky Tokyo hotel’s 2.2-pound bacon cheeseburger has us wanting to book a room for the food coma
- Manga materials website offers thousands of reference poses for budding artists to download
- Ninja language skills: Boost your Japanese with the power of onomatopoeia
- This Lego samurai castle would be amazing even if it wasn’t also an awesome pop-up book 【Video】
- What would Pokémon look like as Gundam mecha? Awesome fan-made models show us 【Photos】
- We visit a conveyor belt BBQ offering Japan’s best beef at only a fraction of the price【Pics】
- New Edo Goldfish Wonderland to open at Tokyo Skytree this summer for a limited time
- How do you get to Sesame Street? Just head to Harajuku!
- Japanese pitcher throws one heck of a slider, slides self right off the mound
- 10 things that surprise foreign women in Japan
- Crazed Japanese fans at Tokyo anime event show they’re the most passionate in the world 【Video】