When life give you lemons, make lemonade. When it gives you soggy trash…make a trash man?
After seeing the creative instant ramen recipes enjoyed by Koreans, our curiosity towards other creative ways of savoring our favorite meal in a cup ballooned over three minutes (we were waiting for our cup noodles to cook), and so we put together this list of delicious quick fixes to satisfy our cravings!
They’re so easy to make, and surprisingly tasty. Believe it or not, these Nissin cup babies can instantly transform into Thai, Chinese, and even Italian cuisine! Come on, you know you want to try them!
We’ve all seen them; the familiar pitch-black boards at Starbucks announcing the newest coffee flavors or the month’s specials. Usually there’s not much to look at, just some nicely scrawled letters and maybe a decent looking drawing of a Starbucks cup. But take a look at the picture above; it could almost pass as a painting in a museum. The black board above was spotted at the Starbucks in front of the Tokyo University of the Arts. We’re guessing the Starbucks worker who drew it is also an art student. Browsing the net, there are actually a surprising number of artists masquerading as baristas all over the world. Take a look at the most impressive pieces of art found on Starbucks boards from the US and Japan.
Yes, you can use chopsticks, and yes, you pronounce the words karate and karaoke “correctly” in the middle of your otherwise English sentence, but you’re not a hardcore Japanophile until you’ve kitted your home’s power outlets out with these hugely unnecessary but utterly brilliant shoji sliding paper door covers.
Made by hobbyist and blogger Tori Sugimura, these little wooden boxes feature delicate sliding doors and real washi paper panels as well as traditional Japanese design features like flowers and wading cranes.
Ever since I saw Han Solo get encased in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have a plastic mould of my friends and family, albeit without sealing them inside the stuff…
Thanks to a little company in Japan called Omote 3D Shashin Kan, though, my dream may be about to become a reality!
Using both 3-D scanning and 3-D printing technology, the ingenious company has made it possible to turn yourself or those you love into a tiny, ultra-detailed figure, with three sizes to choose from.
You’ll have to excuse me if I’m jumping the gun slightly when I say this, but this is clearly the best thing ever!
Remember Google’s 8-bit Google Maps April Fools’ prank from earlier this year?
Japanese four-piece all-female rock band, Negoto, have taken the idea to the next level by integrating their new music video with an 8-bit map of Tokyo so that it tracks the singer’s location as she goes on a grand adventure across the city.
If you were a kid in the era of pull tabs on canned drinks, you must remember pretending that you were giving your friend a diamond ring when you placed it on their finger. Maybe you collected pull tabs and made chain necklaces! With a little imagination the pull tabs were beautiful pieces of jewelry, if only for a moment.
These days pull tabs have given way to stay-on tabs and, sadly, soda can accessorizing is no longer possible.
What is possible is making lovely jewelry out of items you’d normally throw away. Things like paper, leaves, and netting can all turned into stylish jewelry with Pick a Jewel, a series of simple clip accessories that transforms trash into treasure—if you’ve got the creativity to use them!
- [Quiz] How Well Do You Know Your Japanese Hand Gestures?1
- 12 culinary delights from Japan that you can find in New York City2
- A Simple Approach to Understanding Women: a Japanese Guide3
- From “Love Princess” to “Silent Hill”: Awesome Japanese prefecture names changed into English4
- Why is Japan Turning Blue at Night? More and More Streets Being Draped in Peacefully Bizarre Azure Lights5
- Days of thick smog leave Shanghai residents gasping for fresh air6
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide7
- Apologizing Like a Japanese Woman: A Practical Guide8
- Pantene Philippines calls out sexism in the workplace with clever ad9
- Fresh sushi for night owls at Osaka fish market’s midnight restaurant10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour4
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts5
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer6
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car7
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent8
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director9
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】10
- Days of thick smog leave Shanghai residents gasping for fresh air
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide
- Apologizing Like a Japanese Woman: A Practical Guide
- Pantene Philippines calls out sexism in the workplace with clever ad
- Fresh sushi for night owls at Osaka fish market’s midnight restaurant
- 92-year-old grandmother creates gorgeous traditional Japanese toys
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Cross-dressing man in women-only train car causes controversy in Japan
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- Video game maker’s Akihabara pizza joint has great food, not a single maid
- First full-length trailer for live-action Kiki’s Delivery Service shows off sets, cast, new theme song
- An amazing 1,300-year old way of fishing involving birds diving underwater is going extinct