Being a police sketch artist has to be a tough gig. Bound by the duty to make as authentic a recreation of the suspect as possible, the artist can’t ever truly let their creativity shine. So sometimes when the constraints of the job get to be too much, the sketch artist will break free and make some truly inspired works of wanted poster art such as the following.
The 1993 action film Hard Target is notable for three reasons. First, it was Hong Kong action director John Woo’s American debut. Second, it starred Jean-Claude Van Damme as perhaps cinema’s most physically fit and combat-ready homeless man. And third, its story was one of the finest examples of the rich film genre known as “jaded and wealthy individuals hunting men for sport.”
One man from Saitama Prefecture apparently wasn’t quite up to the task of stalking the kickboxing Muscles from Brussels, though, and aimed his sights a little lower: hunting the otaku nerds of Akihabara.
- Philip Kendall
May 9, 2014
A taxi driver in Osaka has been taken into police custody after it was discovered that he had given snacks laced with a powerful diuretic to as many as 50 of his female passengers and refused to let them exit the vehicle so that he could watch them squirm, and in some cases urinate, in the back of his cab.
In any endeavor, you can’t overstate the importance of making preparations in the proper order. For example, it’s best to plan out what you’ll say for your sales pitch prior to sitting down face-to-face with your customer. Likewise, even if you’ve made dinner reservations and meet your date at the exact time the two of you agreed upon, your courtesy and punctuality won’t be particularly appreciated if you neglected to put on a pair of pants before arriving at the restaurant.
Also, should you want to knock over a convenience store, you should actually secure a weapon before you threaten the clerk and ask for the money. Otherwise, your victim might not even realize she’s being robbed, which is what happened to one would-be criminal mastermind in Osaka.
- Preston Phro
May 9, 2014
We live in a brave new world where cars wash themselves and a customized 3-D figure of your very likeness can be bought for just under US$100. It’s also a world where anyone can literally download 3-D printer plans for automatic gun parts–which, depending on which side of the barrel you’re standing on, might not be such great news.
But while printing off a full assault rifle still isn’t quite within the realm of possibility, it looks like you can use a 3-D printer to make a revolver strong enough to fire actual bullets. Which, in Japan at least, is completely illegal. One 27-year-old Kanawaga resident found this out the hard way when he was arrested this Thursday for doing just that.
As Google Maps expands its reach across the globe, netizens are finding more and more hidden treasures amongst the usual images of street signs and roadways. Sure, we catch a flock of human pigeons every now and then, but this next photo gallery is a little subtler than mobs of masked people purposely trying to live on forever in Google Maps. No, this is a different kind of mob…the mob. The yakuza, rumored to number in the hundred-thousands in Japan, have landed themselves on Google Maps more than a few times and we’re not quite sure they appreciate being photographed.
- Master Blaster
May 7, 2014
The internet has completely changed the way we work and live, but for those of us having children it can be hard to understand how different life has become for them as information technology natives.
Having some shoes that could be pumped full of air was the deciding factor of our social status in school at one time, but what are kids thinking about today? Kakurega Komyo is an IT worker in Japan who caught a glimpse of this life while setting up the internet in someone’s house.
A 7-Eleven convenience store in Kasukabe City, Saitama Prefecture was the scene of a daring late-night armed robbery earlier this week as an unidentified young man held clerks at knife-point and made off with a total of three onigiri rice balls, whose combined value came to approximately 300 yen (US$2.94).
He’d have gotten away with too, if it hadn’t been for the bread delivery guy…
Japan is well-known for its low crime-rate. Only a select few are permitted to own firearms, theft is rare, and the country’s violent crime statistics are among the lowest in the world.
But while you’ll almost never hear of a drive-by shooting in Japan, it turns out that members of the public in one Osaka town have been living in fear recently after a band of rambunctious scallywags took to cruising the streets at night and pelting pedestrians with eggs from the window of a moving car, at one time even stocking up on as many as 50 eggs with which to launch their reign of tamago terror.
The concept of women envisioning and writing male homoerotic stories has been around for quite some time. Around the 70s, it seemed to have taken a hold both in America where it became known as “slash” and seemingly independently in Japan where it acquired the name “yaoi” and its writers took up the nickname “fujoshi” or “rotten girls.”
Both arts take male characters which are living, completely fictional, or derived from other popular fictional works, and place them in romantic or erotic situations. All throughout the genre’s evolution, it has found trouble with the general public around the world, and this time it appears a group of fujoshi have run afoul of the law in China, where such works are called “dan mei”, and are looking at possible prison time for violating the country’s decency laws.
Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some
- Joan Coello
Apr 21, 2014
Some guys might think that the best job on earth would be to watch adult videos all day and get paid for it. Well, the good news is, there really are such jobs out there. The bad news is, these jobs might not be as fun and easy as you think.
At 59 years old, Chunqi Liu has been working as a professional “porn identification officer” for five years, assisting police investigations on cases involving illegal distribution and possession of pornographic materials in China. He has seen over 600,000 adult videos to date. That averages out to about 329 videos per day! Does that sound like an awesome job to you? He says it makes him throw up.
Ever felt like you’re not getting the respect you deserve at your workplace? Personally, I’ve been lucky and never had to bear the brunt of any serious sort of disrespect at work, though I did encounter a co-worker who was always too eager to speak; he kept interrupting before I could finish saying something. One evening while working overtime, he did it again and I snapped… that guy left the company one week later. I’m pretty sure he didn’t quit because I snapped at him, though I did feel slightly guilty for losing my cool.
Some people have it harder though. A male teacher in Jiangsu Province, China, felt that he wasn’t getting enough respect from his colleagues and decided to vent his anger by urinating in his colleagues’ mugs and tumblers. Eew!
- Master Blaster
Apr 2, 2014
On 29 March a basement level restaurant in the bustling Dotombori area of Osaka became the scene of a grisly stabbing, when a part-time cook stabbed his co-worker over an altercation while boiling crabs.
The suspect’s remark of “I don’t get why I’m under arrest” to police as his fellow cook was rushed to hospital for a lacerated abdomen has led readers to call for immigration reforms. Others worried that this and events like this are contributing to more ultra-right-wing sentiment in the land.
- Master Blaster
Mar 26, 2014
Little kids sometimes get into trouble with bullies, and when they do, they feel reluctant to go to their parents, imagining that they’ll only offer some mature advice to deal with the situation like openly asking the bully to stop. While the direct approach works well in adult situations like break-ups and quitting your job at Fabricland, it doesn’t quite transfer over to the Lord of the Flies mentality that goes on in school playgrounds every day.
And apparently for some people these problems even stick around into adulthood. For example, a man recently went to Yamanashi police looking for protection when he decided to quit his organized crime group. However, according to reports it seemed as if the officers thought he just needed to talk it out and locked him in a room with a member of the gang he was trying to leave, resulting in the gang member demanding a finger as compensation.
Who wouldn’t want to be a game show host? It’s a relatively easy gig, making money while making other people happy with fabulous cash and prizes. But with only a few shows to go around it can be a highly coveted job.
Perhaps that’s why some people decide to start their own game on the streets. However, without all the slick production value of a major studio backer you’re bound to look like some kind of wack-job. Sure enough, that’s what happened to one young man who’s now gotten the attention of Hokkaido law enforcement.
Hirofumi Watanabe cites jealousy as motive & vows to kill himself when released
Hirofumi Watanabe, the suspect in the Kuroko’s Basketball threat letter case, admitted to all the charges in his first day in court on Thursday. He added that he will accept the court’s judgment and any punishment without appeal.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Police arrested the 36-year-old Osaka temporary worker on December 15 and accused him of sending threatening letters to convenience store chains and other establishments linked to Tadatoshi Fujimaki‘s Kuroko’s Basketball manga.
Mar 14, 2014
In one of the few instances we can think of in which crime actually does pay, a Chinese bus passenger who spent years “ride-and-dashing” to dodge paying the fare repaid her karmic debt by depositing a total of 800RMB (approx. US$130) into the till boxes of two local buses.
Drivers of both buses apparently tried to reject her offering and have her pay the standard 2RMB fare (US$0.30), but the woman reportedly insisted, telling at least one of the drivers, “You’ve always been kind to your passengers. This is to repay the fare I’ve been skipping out on until now.”
- Fran Wrigley
Mar 13, 2014
Some people will always end up regretting having plastic surgery, but perhaps none more so than this woman, whose cosmetic surgery ended up getting her arrested. The fugitive tried to evade Chinese police by having her face remodelled – but the plan backfired when her new appearance aroused suspicion at airport security, and she was taken into custody.
The 21-year-old, who has been wanted on charges of blackmail since 2012, was arrested at Xi’an Xianyang International Airport at the end of February. Airport officials said they first became suspicious because the woman did not look like the photo ID she was using as she made the journey to visit her alleged accomplice in custody.
- Master Blaster
Mar 13, 2014
Since mid-January this year, bizarre incidents of vandalism have been occurring in libraries and bookstores in Tokyo. A handful of texts were targeted, but hundreds of copies of The Diary of Anne Frank, which chronicles Jewish persecution during World War II, were found with pages slashed and torn out, leading some to suspect that the acts were part of some political statement.
On 12 March it was revealed the Tokyo Metropolitan Police have arrested a man for the destruction of Jewish themed books in a major book store in Toshima, Tokyo. Authorities also feel there is a strong possibility he is involved in the other 310 books that have been destroyed.
Man gives up on life and travels 1,000 miles on stolen bikes, incredible journey ends with his arrest
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 12, 2014
Sometimes when life gets you down, you just want to get away. Run, bike, drive; whatever it takes to get out of the current situation and into a happier state. That’s exactly how one middle-aged man from Chiba Prefecture was feeling when he decided to leave his failing business and begin a nomadic life traveling across Japan. However, his sudden and deliberate flee spanning over an astonishing 1,600 km (nearly 1,000 miles) ended in his arrest five months after it began because of the man’s poor choice in transportation – stolen bikes.
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC1
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed2
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】3
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】4
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】5
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】6
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane7
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children8
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!9
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane4
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC5
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】6
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】7
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis8
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land9
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Rare emoticon sun spotted in the sky, brightens our day
- Unagi pastries contain no eel, tons of cuteness
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】