The toys are already stocked in capsule figure vending machines around Japan, and are selling for 300 yen (about US$2.96) each.
Jul 18, 2014
If there’s anybody in the world that loves a good non-scientifically supported personality or psychological measurement, it’s the Japanese. You’ve got the thoroughly debunked blood type indicator, Western-imported horoscopes, the “which way do you fold your arms?” test, the “how you like your meat cooked says a lot about you” test, and, of course, if you have sword-shaped fingernails, you’re a complete and utter psychopath.
Well, given Japan’s propensity for personality indicators as well as Japan’s affinity for adorable Disney princesses, it was only a matter of time before somebody mashed the two together to create a Frozen princess personality test. Jeez, why can’t they take all this superstition and just LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Tokyo Girls' Update
Jul 18, 2014
Cosplay, also known as costume-play, is often described as wearing costumes from fictional works (especially anime and manga!). Cosplay is enjoyed all over the world, especially at anime conventions. With HUGE conventions such as Anime Expo and Comic Con in Southern California, Japan Expo in France, and Otakon in Maryland all happening this month, people often call July “Convention Season”.
If you’re a cat lover, you must love cats’ butts too! Of course, their fluffy expressive tails too! Maybe you love them so much you just wanna hang their perky posterior on the wall of your room… all right, that sounded a bit weird. We’re not talking about hanging real cat butts on your wall. No way, that’s just creepy.
We’re talking about these adorable felted cat bums! More pictures after the jump!
Jul 16, 2014
In the annals of history, there have been many men who were so cool, they practically defined the word. The kind of guys that were so naturally cool, they didn’t even seem to notice when they were doing something awesome. We’re talking about guys like James Dean, Sam Jackson, Bruce Willis, the classic crooners like Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, and I guess we’ll begrudgingly add newbies like Ryan Gosling (Just kidding! We mean Marky Mark).
Now we can add this incredibly awesome little boy, who seems to be around five years old. We see him here in this video casually comforting a grieving little girl who is upset about being removed from her mother on what we presume is the first day of school. She even does that adorable kid thing where she tries her best not to cry but it’s not really working, and our heroic little boy just sort of nonchalantly tells her he’s got her back – almost like she’s a fiery explosion that he’s casually walking away from without looking at. That’s how cool this kid is.
- Casey Baseel
Jul 15, 2014
Wow, now those are some amazing baby blues. Even if you’re not a cat lover, or not really into pets in general, there’s no denying this is a cat with a captivating countenance.
With eyes twice as beautiful as most other felines’, you might you might come to the conclusion that this cat would still look beautiful with its eyes half-shut.
You’d be wrong, though. Hilariously wrong.
- Philip Kendall
Jul 15, 2014
We don’t know you guys, but we’re already starting to wish summer only lasted a week or so, and have started spending most of our waking hours in close proximity to our desk fans so as not to melt in the heat and humidity.
Thankfully, though, we now have something to entertain us while we sit with our faces inches from the fan trying to resist the idiotic compulsion to jam pencils in it. Now on sale in Japan, these “fan accessories” let you transform your household appliance into a relaxing beach scene, with miniature gulls, ships, shark, surfers and more that attach to your fan via lengths of coloured card, wafting along in the cool, life-restoring breeze it creates.
The top three pets are probably cats, dogs, and hamsters. They all have their pros and cons, but when it comes to keeping little furry creatures in your home, those three are probably the most common–and certainly some of the cutest. The number four spot is a bit harder to pin down, but if we had to guess, we’d say it belongs to the noble bunnies. After all, while they might take a bite out of your finger if you’re not careful, there’s not much in this world that is as docile as a bunny, is there?
But that doesn’t mean you don’t need to keep an eye on the long-eared critters. If you’re not careful, you never know what kind of mischief your pet rabbit and its twitchy nose will get into! One Japanese Twitter user learned this the hard (and cute) way…
- Casey Baseel
Jul 11, 2014
This is especially true when it comes to women. Whereas in English-speaking countries some may take issue with what they perceive as a diminutive or demeaning connotation to the word “cute,” in Japan, calling a girl kawaii is almost universally considered a compliment. Even actresses and models who would ordinarily be described as “beautiful” by English speakers earn kawaii cred if they have a kind smile, or any other sort of soft warmth to the aura they project.
But while just about any Japanese woman is happy to be called kawaii, things aren’t quite so simple for men.
In Japan, since so many people who love cute animals live in apartments that don’t allow pets, you can find cafes that’ll let you relax in the company of everything from owls to bunnies. The most common and widely documented are of course cat cafes, but what do you do when you’re craving not only a little feline companionship, but also want something a bit stronger than a cup of coffee?
Simple: you head to the cat pub in Tokyo.
Look out below! Maru and Hana‘s owner just uploaded yet another adorable kitty video to make the internet go “awww!” This time, the furry duo is seen from below thanks to a clever camera angle and a glass top table. Watch as the two feline friends eat kitty treats, have a mini brawl, and lick their paws like there’s no tomorrow.
While we get as warm and fuzzy as anyone when we spy a puppy, kitten, or bunny, our love of the animal kingdom extends far beyond just those three types of critters. We’re pretty fond of owls, too, whether they’re keeping us company as we have a drink, silently serving as art tutors, or just hanging around the house.
But as tranquil and wise as they may usually appear, even owls have limits, and there are some sights so provocative they cause the birds to go completely bananas, like this guy here is doing.
Almost 2 million people have viewed this short YouTube clip of pugs dressed as Game of Thrones characters since it was uploaded late last month. And well, why not? It’s not every day you get to see doggies cosplaying as characters from George R. R. Martin’s fantasy world of Westeros. Heck, we may even prefer the adorable pugs to some of their live-action counterparts!
What are you doing this weekend? If you haven’t made any plans, these bunny GIF images could give you some inspiration for the weekend. Even if you’ve already made plans, these fuzzy little buns are bound to make your weekend even better with their irresistible cuteness! Hop on!
- Casey Baseel
Jul 5, 2014
With Japan’s love of travel and fictional characters, it was really only a matter of time before hotels started offering rooms based on popular animated franchises. You can always count on Disney to have its finger on the pulse of travelers, and sure enough the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel has a block of rooms decorated with the cast of its classic films.
It’s been six years since the hotel opened, though, and management has decided it could use a little sprucing up, So next year the character rooms are being renovated, with some returning favorites getting new amenities plus the hotel debut of a few more.
- Preston Phro
Jul 4, 2014
Though it might be hard for non-pet-owners to understand, it’s undeniable that our cats and dogs are part of our families. We love them like children–or siblings who can almost get away with peeing on the carpet.
And with good reason, too! They comfort us when we’re sad and play with us when we’re happy. And if you’re lucky enough to have two pets, watching them play together can be better than anything Disney has to offer. Just take this video of a dog entertaining a hyper-active kitten for example!
All cat owners are aware of the kind of mischief the lovable little furballs can get up to when we’re not around (and there’s probably also plenty of mischief we’re blissfully unaware of). Thankfully in this age of mobile phones, cameras, and YouTube, we can now keep a close eye on what the little rascals are up to, which often results in some cute comedy gold.
Despite having visited the town of Kichijoji in Tokyo on a near daily basis for over a year, it wasn’t until I sat down with video game developer James Kay and started chatting about our mutual love of pixels and coffee that I learned about Pico Pico Cafe, a cosy corner perched at the top of a eight-storey building just minutes from Kichijoji station.
After dropping the staff a line, RocketNews24 headed over for a coffee and a chat. We hadn’t gone two steps inside, however, before we found ourselves completely enamoured with the unique cafe’s warm, homely interior and – perhaps most of all for this life-long gamer – the subtle dashes of video game culture in every other nook and cranny.
Tons of cool photos after the jump.
Here at RocketNews24 we believe there are few things that can’t be improved with a sprinkling of anime style – even sports mascots. So we were thrilled to learn that one mystery artist has created unofficial anime mascots for all 32 World Cup teams. If you like your football with a side helping of cute and quirky cartoon girls, you’ve come to the right place!
Join us after the jump for a host of new anime characters dressed as superheros, animals and more – all in their team colours, of course.
Summer is here! The days are long, the evenings are muggy and we can’t wait for these hot and humid days to pass. But nothing helps get the weather off a girl’s mind more than stories of princesses. Escape to a fairy tale wonderland with the all new Disney Jewel Summer Collection!
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Korean Photoshop Troll Trilogy: The shocking conclusion! 【Photos】4
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today5
- Do you really know how to eat sushi? Probably not!6
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan7
- Back in Japan by popular demand: Ice cream that looks exactly like a roasted sweet potato8
- Newsflash: Silver “Dragon Quest Metal Slime Edition” PlayStation 4 unveiled by Sony 【Updated】9
- Flagitious Idiosyncrasy In The Dilapidation: Japan’s awesome all-woman grindcore band【J-Tunes】10
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons3
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!4
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events5
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan6
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?7
- These photos from the ‘richest village in China’ will positively blow you away8
- Philippine netizens do the makeup transformation meme to mixed results9
- Master drummers are lurking in Japanese game centers10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events7
- We swear we won’t tell anyone if you buy one of these super lifelike love dolls from Japan8
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan9
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】3
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Do you really know how to eat sushi? Probably not!
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan
- Back in Japan by popular demand: Ice cream that looks exactly like a roasted sweet potato
- Newsflash: Silver “Dragon Quest Metal Slime Edition” PlayStation 4 unveiled by Sony 【Updated】
- Flagitious Idiosyncrasy In The Dilapidation: Japan’s awesome all-woman grindcore band【J-Tunes】
- Artist creates awesome anime artwork by carefully cutting a single Post-it note 【Photos】
- This little bear just popped up from your toast to say good morning!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Our Japanese correspondent tries sushi in San Diego and falls in love with the authentic flavor
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!
- What is this man painting? You may have to wait until the very last second to find out 【Video】
- From Ponyo to Italy: Four delicious ways to improve instant ramen while your water’s boiling
- New Sony Cyber-shot: a perfume bottle camera specifically designed for selfies