In the market for a fire extinguisher? Neither were we, until we saw these at the Sanrio online store! With three gorgeous designs, there’s never been a better time to decorate and protect your home at the same time.
- Joan Coello
Jun 8, 2014
As the end of the week closes in, it’s time to slow things down a bit and unwind. It’s been raining in Tokyo for the past couple of days, and we all know what cool, rainy weather does to us, right? It makes us feel oh so sleepy… like these fluffy… real-life Pikachus…
W-what? Did I just say Pikachu? I mean, Viscacha! Just look at them dozing off on the rocks!
In some ways, the island of Okunoshima, in western Japan’s Setonaikai Inland Sea, seems like a terrible vacation spot. It’s already in an out-of-the-way region of the country, and with no connecting bridges, the only way to get there is by boat.
Then there’s its dark past. During the 1920s, ‘30s, and early ‘40s, Okunoshima was the site of a secret chemical weapons lab for the Japanese Imperial Army. The clandestine work being carried out there earned it the sinister nicknames Poison Gas Island and The Island Erased from the Maps.
Happily, the postwar years have seen a return to more peaceful, benign activities on Okunoshima. As a matter of fact, in the last few years it’s become one of the area’s most beloved tourist destinations, and the reason why is easy to see from the other name Okunoshima is called by, Rabbit Island.
The relatively small size of Japanese kitchens, and ovens for that matter, mean the average person doesn’t get many opportunities to bake desserts. Sure, once a year a lot of women will whip up a batch of chocolate or some other sweets, but February 15 is usually the beginning of a 364-day streak of no homemade goodies.
Looking to break this cycle was our Japanese-language correspondent Momo. But how would someone who charred all of her attempts at Valentine’s Day sweets to a crisp as a schoolgirl, fare at her Alice in Wonderland cookie and cake decorating class?
It’s not easy being covered in fur. Especially when you have to endure the stifling heat of a Japanese summer! Now hot kitties are sure to get some respite, thanks to a new product that’s already selling out online. While it may look like an everyday bowl, this is actually a whole lot more, with a special ergonomic design that’s especially effective at supporting and cooling a cat’s body. It’s called the Cooling Aluminium Kitty-Cat Pot, and it’s sure to be your cat’s favourite piece of furniture this summer.
The thing about fluffy dogs is they look a lot bigger than they actually are. Take this little pomeranian for example – he looks more like the cousin of a rodent than a canine once he’s been robbed of his voluptuous mane. But the most interesting part of this photo is what Japanese netizens think this soggy doggy looks like.
“Aw, what an adorable little karate tot!” I thought to myself as I stumbled upon a video of seven-year-old Mahiro-chan about to do some adorable flailing. “It’s like someone put a karate gi on a Cabbage Patch Kid!”
Trembling in anticipation of some otherworldly cuteness, I clicked play and GAHHHHHHHH!!!! She’s TERRIFYING!!!!!
While most cats would be content with plain and simple internet domination, there’s one chubby tabby who craves something more. Meet Zarathustra, the Russian cat who’s sinking his paws into a different pie, taking over the world of fine art and starring in his very own exhibition. From Da Vinci to Rembrandt, no artwork is safe from this feline’s sultry poses and exquisite expressions.
- Joan Coello
Jun 1, 2014
Do you like manga? We definitely do! Here at RocketNews24, we cover topics related to manga (or comics) every once in awhile, so you might have seen quite a few articles featuring images of manga drawn by professionals and amateurs alike. But have you seen manga that has a mind of its own? We found some on Twitter!
Check out these adorable, albeit slightly mischievous, characters who fidget about and “interact” with their artists within their little manga frames!
- Casey Baseel
May 29, 2014
In Japan, the national sports teams are officially known as the Nihon Daihyou, literally the Japanese Representatives. And while it’s true that the Japanese soccer team will be getting eve more attention than usual as it competes in the World Cup in Brazil, one could argue that Japan’s pop cultural icons, more so than its athletes, are the most prominent representatives of the country internationally.
Or, you could sidestep the debate by combing the too with a Pokémon soccer jersey.
Many foreign tourists who come to Japan make sure to check out one of the country’s ubiquitous cat cafes before heading home. After all, if you’re a cat lover, what better way to relax in the middle of your busy schedule while still doing something distinctly “Japanese”?
But did you know that cat cafes are springing up in other parts of the world, too? Take Hong Kong’s Ah Meow Cat Cafe (阿貓地攤), for instance. Located in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong’s major shopping district, the cafe is always jam-packed with curious customers. We wanted to share with you some photos from popular Canadian blogger La Carmina’s visit to the cafe, so sit back, gather up your feline friends, and start purring!
- Philip Kendall
May 28, 2014
Packed lunches in Japan, or bento, are arguably more exciting than an anywhere else in the world. While such delicacies as cheese sandwiches, chips, and so-not-real-food-it’s-scary “snack packs” reign supreme in the West, typical bento lunches in Japan almost always involve things like rice, vegetables, fish, fried chicken, and potato salad. You name it, if it’s decent food it’s in there, and very often crafted into some cute character or artistic arrangement by a loving parent or spouse.
Today, thanks to a Twitter user in Japan, we’re going to learn how to turn the humble wiener or cocktail sausage into something far cooler: a mini version of a giant isopod.
Between spending all day basking in the sun and playing in boxes, there’s no doubt that the life of a cat is pretty great. And a Japanese musician has reinforced this with a recent video he uploaded of his cat achieving what looks like feline nirvana. The owner, a Tokyo-based music teacher, seems to put his cat in a trance by playing the instrument on top of the cat. Click below to view the video of the cat who could serve as an anti-drug PSA, teaching the world that the best way to get high is through music.
- Joan Coello
May 25, 2014
It’s the weekend! Time to kick back, relax, and watch a few baby ducks chase after a full-grown man. A total of 13 little ducklings, to be exact!
- Megumi Matsuki
May 25, 2014
Even before the days of YouTube and news blogs, we humans all knew that cats, whether directly or indirectly, have a propensity for disrupting whatever activity you’re trying to focus on. Of course the internet helps with this too, A LOT. Heck, this article is probably keeping you from work right now!
Take Setsu-chan for example, a former stray who was adopted by doting Twitterer Mino (@mino_rs). Photos of this blue-eyed beauty acting cute, distracting his owner, and well, being a cat, are fast becoming an online hit. One serendipitous photo belies his natural exquisiteness, however, and this rib-tickling shot has been retweeted over 15,000 times. How does this cat from Japan manage to look like your proverbial wasted business man on the Yamanote line?
There’s a Japanese proverb, “Neko ni Koban,” that translates as “Giving a gold coin to a cat.” It’s a metaphor for offering something of worth that the recipient either doesn’t need or can’t understand the value of, but it’s also a telling example of how hard it is to win a cat’s favor. Cats have no use for our money, they’re not impressed by our fashion trends, and even if they appreciate our modern sense of humor they’re too proud to let it show by openly laughing.
With so few options, in an attempt to curry favor, some people offer stray cats food (although not, in fact, a bowl of curry). But might this be causing a problem to the residents of one of Japan’s famous cat islands?
We dispatched our Japanese-language correspondent, Meg, to find out (and also pet some kitties while she was at it).
Meet Tally. She’s definitely a dog, and a very beautiful dog at that. And yet she’s often found in some suspiciously cat-like poses…
- Casey Baseel
May 20, 2014
In Japanese schools, it’s customary for the students to start the day with a formal greeting. The teacher walks in, the students stand, bow, and say good-morning. It’s a fairly somber ritual, in keeping with the general attitude in the country that education is serious business.
One elementary school, though, does things a little differently, with a morning greeting that’s packed with more energy than most people show all day.
Remember Maru, the adorable Shiba dog who’s been stealing hearts all over Japan with his million-dollar smile? Well, his popularity is well and alive, and the canine celebrity will be coming out with his very own photo book in mid-June! And to commemorate the launch of his book, an on-line photo contest is currently on way, but it’s no ordinary photo contest — it involves photos of … lovely bottoms! Not to worry, though, they’re not naughty photos by any means. The contest is actually of photos of cute animal backsides, or “puri-ketsu“, as they’re affectionately called in Japanese, and it seems the adorable “bum” pictures are pouring in. Yes, it’s the official puri-ketsu championships, and here’s a look at just some of the fun and delightful photos!
May 19, 2014
Sure, we’re crazy about cats and otters and penguins here at RocketNews24, but we’ve got to admit, pandas are pretty darn cute too, whatever form they come in (even when they’re not actual pandas but an entirely different animal in disguise) . This time, the pandas come in an edible form that’s sweet to both look at and eat. They’re the “Fluffy Panda Rolls” (Funwari Panda Roll), and like the countless other panda products out there, they’re utterly adorable!
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide1
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed2
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC3
- Blogger offers her top four tips for Japanese women dating foreign guys4
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】5
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children6
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan7
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka8
- Japanese man goes missing at sea for 20 hours, then gets rescued by a lucky lifebelt9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka
- Japanese man goes missing at sea for 20 hours, then gets rescued by a lucky lifebelt
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation
- Jerome Le Banner walks old lady across the street even though it would’ve been easier to toss her
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Cute Cardcaptors, titanic females, and the other cool anime figures of Wonder Festival【Photos】