All cat owners are aware of the kind of mischief the lovable little furballs can get up to when we’re not around (and there’s probably also plenty of mischief we’re blissfully unaware of). Thankfully in this age of mobile phones, cameras, and YouTube, we can now keep a close eye on what the little rascals are up to, which often results in some cute comedy gold.
Despite having visited the town of Kichijoji in Tokyo on a near daily basis for over a year, it wasn’t until I sat down with video game developer James Kay and started chatting about our mutual love of pixels and coffee that I learned about Pico Pico Cafe, a cosy corner perched at the top of a eight-storey building just minutes from Kichijoji station.
After dropping the staff a line, RocketNews24 headed over for a coffee and a chat. We hadn’t gone two steps inside, however, before we found ourselves completely enamoured with the unique cafe’s warm, homely interior and – perhaps most of all for this life-long gamer – the subtle dashes of video game culture in every other nook and cranny.
Tons of cool photos after the jump.
Here at RocketNews24 we believe there are few things that can’t be improved with a sprinkling of anime style – even sports mascots. So we were thrilled to learn that one mystery artist has created unofficial anime mascots for all 32 World Cup teams. If you like your football with a side helping of cute and quirky cartoon girls, you’ve come to the right place!
Join us after the jump for a host of new anime characters dressed as superheros, animals and more – all in their team colours, of course.
Summer is here! The days are long, the evenings are muggy and we can’t wait for these hot and humid days to pass. But nothing helps get the weather off a girl’s mind more than stories of princesses. Escape to a fairy tale wonderland with the all new Disney Jewel Summer Collection!
- Joan Coello
Jun 30, 2014
The heat of summer is gradually spreading across various parts of the world, including Taiwan. To combat it, one creative dad handmade a pair of extra cooling, all natural underpants for his five-year-old son, which quickly became a sensation among Taiwanese netizens when he uploaded the pictures on Facebook!
Check these alternative undies out after the jump!
For fans of animation and video games who’ve formed a particularly strong attachment to their favorite fictional characters, there’s nothing quite like the escapist fun of cosplaying as one of the hobbies’ heroes or heroines. In the past we’ve seen college students, toddlers, and even dogs sporting creative getups, but what if you’re an adult human with a busy life?
Past a certain age, work and family start taking up the bulk of your time, and your schedule might not be able to accommodate a day of showing off your costuming skills at the local anime convention. Not to mention that if that’s the case, you’re probably too old to just dress up in costume at home without feeling silly. If only there was a practical cosplay outfit that you could wear around the house.
Actually, there is, in the form of the Sailor Moon apron.
There’s something uniquely soothing about microbead cushions. Filled with what feels like countless grains of soft sand, if there’s one lying around, it’s hard to resist the urge to squeeze it. Or lie on top of it. They’re also light enough that you can throw one around the room pretty easily, and in a pinch, they make pretty decent punching bags, too.
Still, there’s only so much abuse they can take, as this sobering snapshot series shows.
Last winter, we were all saddened to hear about the passing of Giant Isopod No.1, the most famous crustacean at the Toba Aquarium in Mie Prefecture. Life must go on, though, and perhaps it’s now finally time to turn the page at Toba, as the isopod era comes to an end and is replaced by something much cuter: the age of adorable napping otters.
Your smartphone has a busy day, what with being called on to make phone calls, take pictures, play strange fashion-based touchscreen games, and surf the Internet in order to access mankind’s greatest font of knowledge. Doesn’t it deserve some rest? And we don’t mean a short little nap while you’re eating dinner, but a good night’s sleep, snug and comfy inside a Japanese futon.
Japan is always on the lookout for a charismatic new character, and right now no one’s star is rising faster than Funasshi. The frenetic flailing and bubbly babbling of the anthropomorphic pear has been winning over fans across Japan and even overseas.
Soon, those who just can’t get enough of Funabashi City’s unofficial mascot can show their devotion with a pair of Funasshi shoes.
- Oona McGee
Jun 23, 2014
Once upon a time, face packs were plain. They were white, wet and definitely something you wouldn’t want to be seen wearing. Now, beauty masks are finally becoming beautiful, with newly released endangered animal designs and even prints featuring dramatic kabuki makeup.
From the end of this month, the cats will come out to play. And not just any cats. These are the famous felines from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats. With four cat face packs to choose from, now you can look after your skin and play out your feline fantasies at the same time!
There’s a lot going on in Thailand at the moment, and you can be sure that those in the tourism industry watching visitor numbers plummet now that the country has fallen under military control are none too pleased, so it’s not surprising to hear of stories of anger and frustration. What we didn’t expect to see, though, were ducks taking to the street en masse as if in protest.
Check out this video of thousands of ducks waddling along together in an adorable yet really eerie demonstration of nature.
- Krista Rogers
Jun 20, 2014
You may remember that octopus named Paul whose accurate series of “predictions” during the 2010 World Cup about Germany’s matches and Spain’s victory shot him to worldwide fame.
Well move over, Paul, because you’ve got two new furry rivals! Stepping up to the challenge in 2014 are Munchkin kitties Kikunosuke and Rikimaru. Their owner had them “predict” which two teams from each of the initial groups A through H would proceed to the rest of the tournament. Japanese fans would be well-advised to listen to the cats, since Japan was picked to advance from group C.
Keep reading to find out which sixteen teams will advance, at least according to the cats!
Poke around the murkier corners of anime stores, and you can find no shortage of lascivious merchandise such as huggable pillow cases, bed sheets, and waterproof “bath posters” plastered with images of the medium’s more popular characters. But what about the otaku who’s looking for a more chaste way to connect with his or her 2-D crush?
If your PG-rated date idea consists of playing miniature golf or going to the homecoming dance, you’re still out of luck. However, thanks to one creative fan you and your favorite anime character can now share a soda with two straws like a pair of 1950s lovebirds.
Osaka International Airport has a deceptively confusing name. First, although its mailing address is indeed in Osaka, a large portion of the facility actually spills over the border into neighboring Hyogo Prefecture, specifically the city of Itami.
Second, it only has domestic flights, as during the 1990s the overseas traffic was moved to Kansai International Airport, an international airport that’s entirely in Osaka (yet completely separate from Osaka International Airport).
But even if it’s hard to find a shred of logic to the naming of Osaka International Airport, the domestic hub can now fall back on the good looks of its new mascot, the undeniably cute, possibly worrying Sora-yan.
One trick for dealing with the sweltering heat of summer is to free your feet with some comfy sandals. If you need a double dose of soothing coolness, you can strap on a pair and go for a stroll on the beach as you enjoy the sea breeze blowing across your exposed feet.
But while any variety of open-toed footwear will do the trick, if you’re looking to add a dash of quirky cuteness to your wardrobe, plus share the fun with everyone who comes by later, your best options are these animal-soled sandals that turn your footsteps into those of a cat or dinosaur.
So we’ve previously seen the fluffy Pomeranian who got an Attack on Titan makeover with its very own hand-made cardboard 3D maneuver gear and sassy Recon Corps cloak. Are cat owners going to sit back and watch as the puppies steal the limelight? Not a chance.
Check out these itty bitty kitties dressed up as well-known movie characters!
Last week, we shared the story of a dog that managed to get itself comically stuck in a suburban garden. Now, the trend of animals in Japan wedging themselves into tight spaces continues with this compacted kitty.
But whereas the Shiba Inu we saw before had to be rescued by a passerby, what looks like a harrowing predicament is actually all part of the cat’s ingenious plan.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jun 17, 2014
Team Japan’s female fans have already shown us how to wear the mighty Samurai Blue jersey the cutest way, but if online reaction is anything to go by, these Chinese flight attendants get a hat trick in style. Their special World Cup in-flight service has been pleasing passengers and netizens alike.
When my nephew was still a baby, I clearly remember the whole family gathering to watch as he rolled over for the first time. It was an exciting moment, and we were all impressed by his accomplishment.
On the other hand, I can’t remember the last time anyone gave me a round of applause for rolling over, even if I’ve had so much beer that my motor skills have regressed to infant-level. The fact is that whether an action is compelling to watch has as much to do with the natural charisma of the performer as it does with what they’re doing.
For example, most of us couldn’t entertain a group of strangers by just sitting in a chair, but that’s only because we aren’t this incredibly cute, eminently relaxed cat.
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!1
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons2
- Gaming culture takes a hit as Sony demos its virtual reality headset with schoolgirl leering sim3
- “Women who attract chikan, and women who don’t”: The illustrated guide that’s provoking debate4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Totally metal newborn shows off hardcore cuteness for approving musician dad6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today8
- 50 items you can buy in Japan to spruce up your bento lunchbox9
- When cosplay meets computer graphics, all we can do is gawk in awe【Photos】10
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons3
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!4
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events5
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan6
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?7
- Master drummers are lurking in Japanese game centers8
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today9
- Say goodbye to carved pumpkins because fruit faces will scare your socks off this Halloween10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events7
- We swear we won’t tell anyone if you buy one of these super lifelike love dolls from Japan8
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan9
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】3
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】8
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!9
- Brass section rejoice! Your ideal smartphone accessory has arrived10
- Totally metal newborn shows off hardcore cuteness for approving musician dad
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today
- 50 items you can buy in Japan to spruce up your bento lunchbox
- When cosplay meets computer graphics, all we can do is gawk in awe【Photos】
- Hiroshima begins recovery projects following tragic, deadly landslides
- Blue-eyed cat has the best reaction after spotting something strange in the backyard
- Artist creates awesome anime artwork by carefully cutting a single Post-it note 【Photos】
- Stay safe on the cheap with a disaster preparedness kit put together at the 100-yen shop
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan
- GIF: Chinese SASUKE contestant’s unexpected fail immortalized in Web’s favorite file format
- Smash & Eat: We try a playful Korean sweet you have to hit with a hammer to enjoy
- Toyota’s dance craze contest invites you to Wakudoki your way to Tokyo【Video】