We’ve already elaborated on how much food-themed characters freak us out, but until now we thought we were pretty much fine with food based on characters. When we saw this photo of a Rilakkuma birthday cake being served at a Japanese restaurant, we found ourselves suddenly overwhelmed with melancholy, plus a touch of revulsion.
In an industrious society like Japan, work comes first. It doesn’t matter if your job is selling insurance, building houses, or hunting and eating tasty little humans like the towering creatures from manga and anime hit Attack on Titan. When duty calls, you take care of business.
Of course, even the hardest working among us need a little rest and relaxation, and the titans are apparently no exception, as evidenced by a photograph that surfaced on Twitter showing a pair of the fleshless monsters enjoying a romantic date.
They say food has the power to bring people of all different backgrounds together, united by their common love of a good meal. We think the following miniature faux foods possess the same power, even though they aren’t edible. So now let’s all come together and collectively enjoy the following photo gallery of fake miniature food, united by our love of all things cute.
The Internet may be ruled by cats, but they better not get too comfy sitting there on our warm monitors scowling at our pitiful hamburgers. The doggies seem to be a staging a cuteness coup, with Japan’s own Shiba Inu leading the assault! And to prove just how cute these little guys are, here are 34 of the best shiba pictures on the Internet!
A tweet from Nintendo writer Chad Concelmo earlier today revealed that the Japanese video game giant will be adding a new bad guy character to its forthcoming Wii U title, Super Mario 3D World, and it is ridiculously cute.
We’ve been squishing walking mushroom Goomba characters for decades now, but this furry little guy is bound to make some gamers pause for thought before hitting the jump button and ending its pudgy little life. Say hello to the Cat Goomba!
Although they’ve been long touted as “man’s best friend,” dogs have kind of taken a back seat to cats on the internet. Sure, dogs are much appreciated for their unflinching loyalty and companionship, but they tend to fall short of fluffy felines when it comes to being photogenic. So with this in mind, some bold dog owners have taken it upon themselves to add more depth and character to their pets by giving them a pair of good old fashioned eyebrows.
The trend of eyebrow-enhanced pooches has washed up on Japan’s shores recently amid great fanfare and net user comments of “Kawaii!“; “They look human!”; and “I spit my coffee out!” So, let’s all take a look at what emotions can be conveyed when dogs get human-style eyebrows.
As the weather starts to cool down, there’s nothing better than cozying up with a nice hot cup of tea. But sometimes that plain old tea cup and bag isn’t enough to lift your spirits on a particularly gloomy day. That’s where this darling DIY tea bag design comes in. With a relaxed expression that seems to say “Aww, that’s the stuff,” this little tea cup bather will keep you company and warm your spirits on even the grayest of days.
Bandai, the third largest producer of toys in the world, has made a name for itself in Japan with a never-ending array of collectable capsule goods. From keychains to stationery to jewellery, and featuring popular characters like Hello Kitty and Gundam, a trip to the supermarket or shopping mall in Japan will inevitably have you passing one of these small machines, stacked up in rows of exciting possibility, enticing you to shell out that last 200 yen for the chance of a lucky score.
You might want to start saving your silver yen now because from mid-October, a new series of capsule toys will be hitting the market. The arrival of silicon lips, designed to sit on the home key on your smartphone, has got everyone talking in Japan.
The Internet is amazing, isn’t it? With a few keystrokes, you can learn nearly anything you want. Vast amounts of highly specialized, carefully cataloged information are available to anyone with the inclination to look. And then there are the social networks that connect literally billions of people, allowing near-instantaneous communication, opening up the possibility for endless conversation. And what do we do with all this potential?
Tweet pictures of cats at each other.
You know what, humanity? I have only one thing to say to you: Meow!
To us, they’re the cute, spongy things you play with like miniature stress balls after a bad day. To cats, they’re essential for getting around. Either way, cat paws are amazing. Functional enough to unlock an iPhone and so adorable they resemble teddy bears. We take a look at some of the little known powers of a cat paw brought to light by astute Japanese cat owners. Do cats know the power they hold in their paws?
While Tokyo remains Japan’s largest and most internationally well-known metropolis, the city of Osaka is no slouch either. Osaka is known for its simple, tasty grub, such as takoyaki octopus dumplings and kushiage, basically deep-fried anything on a stick.
Osaka is also building a pantheon of cute, animal-shaped sweets, such as the platypus pastry which was on sale there until the end of last August. For autumn, there’s a new adorable dessert in town: this bathing bear made out of ice cream.
They may not have the swoon-inducing power of 14 baby pandas in a row, but hedgehogs are nevertheless incredibly cute, and they make great little pets. They’re passive, clean, ideal for those who are out during the daytime, and, as this video proves, hugely entertaining to watch wrestle with the inside of a toilet roll.
Over the last few months, we’ve been tracking beloved Sanrio character Hello Kitty’s increasingly unusual endorsements. We were surprised enough when she appeared as a gigantic, plush tooth to promote dental hygiene products, but we suspect Kitty-chan polished off far too many cans from her line of Taiwanese beer before agreeing to her newest incarnation: a creepy (yet cute), crawly insect larva.
When it comes to cuteness contests, even a single panda cub is tough to beat, so you can probably imagine how we squealed like schoolgirls when we stumbled upon this footage of fourteen of them lined up in rows in a crib.
We don’t care how cute your videos of your pet are – unless it’s a duckling wearing a sling or a kitten sneezing feathers while wearing a Pikachu onesie, nothing is going to beat this!
Let’s say you’re looking for a job, and someone offers you a position as the vice president of human resources in a global logistics services company. That’s a pretty plum position, and most of us would jump at the chance.
However, offer a nine-year-old kid the same job, and he’s likely to turn it down and say he’d rather be an ice cream salesman instead. The point is kids don’t always have the most concrete handle on what professions entail, so if you ask them what they want to do for a living someday, you might not get the most sensible answers. This was definitely the case when a number of elementary school boys in Japan recently said that when they grow up, they want to become anime characters.
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
It was a three-day weekend over here in Japan thanks to the Autumn equinox and the heat finally gave us a break, making it absolutely wonderful! With cool weather and so much time, surely everyone was really productive, right? I mean, nothing’s better than taking a few days to really get stuff done! I bet everyone was busying with things like reading a science book, cleaning the house, studying a foreign language, or going for long nature hikes.
Or maybe people were more like this adorable, sleepy-eyed cat.
We’ve all no doubt heard of the polite deer in the city of Nara that have learned to bow their heads to tourists in order to get food, but did you know that they also obey the law and know how to cross the road properly?
Check out these photos for one incredibly cute example of how to use a pedestrian crossing!
Japanese high school girls are renowned for their cute fashion sense, and they’re not about to give up that hard-earned title. But just how cute and fashion-conscious can you be at Sports Day, a sporting event held by schools all over Japan, as you run around sweating like a pig?
Well, if you’re as clever as Yokota Hikaru, you can stay pretty cute. Click below to see how cute.
As Japan’s most prodigious celebrity endorser, Hello Kitty certainly keeps busy. In this month alone, we’ve seen her grace Toshiba’s SD cards, and even transform herself into a cute, cuddly dislocated tooth to hawk toothpaste.
With such a hectic work schedule, it’s understandable that Kitty-chan should want to relax the same way many of us do after coming home from a long, hard day at the office: by cracking open a cold beer. Even then though, the hard-working feline is on the clock, with a new line of Hello Kitty Beer.
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Nintendo to release album of 8-bit theme songs to celebrate 30 years of NES5
- How much would the world miss Japan if it suddenly disappeared?6
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】9
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right10
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】1
- Gundam creator has harsh words for manga and anime hit “Attack on Titan”2
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- Japan celebrates Knee-High Socks Day【Photos】5
- Seven things that surprise Japanese people working in foreign offices6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- The top 10 baby names in Japan 20138
- Cosplay Undressed: Japan’s Newest Cosplay Trend Shows How Heroes Take Off Their Clothes9
- Video shows “mutant” crawling on the side of a building in Russia10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】2
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!5
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right6
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!7
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- How much would the world miss Japan if it suddenly disappeared?
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Don’t own a television? Japan’s public broadcaster doesn’t care, but still wants your money
- Gundam creator has harsh words for manga and anime hit “Attack on Titan”
- “Hamsters are friends, not food!” says Japanese snake Ao-chan
- How to master the elements by setting ice on fire, then eating it 【Recipe】
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】
- No more mangled tofu 【Video】
- Edo period paintings reveal the secret face of the Japanese snowman
- Wreckage of World War II-era Japanese submersible aircraft carrier found off Hawaii