While we here at RocketNews24 have no shortage of stories on geeky men in Japan, it should be noted that there are plenty of women that fulfill the otaku stereotype of being obsessed with anime, manga and video games. The recently published photo book Corrupted Rooms gives readers a peek inside the cramped living quarters of 50 self-professed otaku and shows the extreme level of dedication these women have to their hobbies. From rooms packed with action figures to racks of cosplay outfits, click below to catch a glimpse into the world of the female otaku!
There’s something about cats. Whether they’re leaping through the air in cute GIF form or popping up in edible delights, the feline species have got us well and truly eating out of the palm of their spongy little paws. In Japan, one cat lover has paid homage to their cute ways with an alphabet made up entirely of cat tails! Now you can mesmerize your friends from A to Z with messages cute enough to print out and paste on your wall.
There are certain meats you can find at restaurants in Japan that aren’t exactly common in the western world. Whale is the one most likely to get foreign visitors up in arms, but with some pretty extensive searching, you can also find establishments serving up monkey and frog.
That isn’t to say Japanese culinary/cultural values are completely different from those of Europeans and North Americans. For example, people in Japan don’t really believe in turning dogs into food.
But turning food into a dog? That’s something the whole world can get behind.
【TBT】Japanese character toast is the cutest thing since sliced bread, all you need is aluminum foil!
Feb 13, 2014
The Japanese have long since proved themselves adept at crafting adorable characters from globs of rice. Now it seems they’ve chosen bread as their next canvas for cute, using a method much more accessible to those who don’t have the time to cut up and arrange hundreds of tiny pieces of seaweed—all you need is aluminum foil, a utility knife and a toaster!
Penguins are, without a doubt, one of the cutest animals in the world. This is not a statement that many people would even think to argue with–it’s as close to an obvious truth as you can get without breaking out the math! But we may have found a way to up the cuteness quotient for penguins from just “exceptionally cute” to “brain-asplodey cute.”
How? Simple: Set them jogging after their (human) crush!
Feb 13, 2014
It’s sure to happen to everybody at least once in their lives: You save up for months and spend far too much time planning and packing for that perfect trip with your family or significant other, only for unexpected inclement weather to come along and ruin it all.
At Tokyo Disney Resorts, not all is lost, even if you end up going on the worst snow day in 16 years of Tokyo history. Disney, after all, has a reputation to keep as the “most magical place on earth,” so the already tirelessly hospitable staff sometimes kick it into overdrive on bad weather days to give some consolation to guests.
Along with Mt. Fuji and the Shibuya scramble intersection, a snapshot of a woman chatting on a cell phone while dressed in a kimono is one of the must-have photos from any extensive stay in Japan. That seamless blending of the traditional and high-tech is a perfect encapsulation of just what makes Japan such a compelling society.
Hmm, you know what? We forgot to include a picture of a monkey in a hot spring on our photography checklist. That’s another one of those “Only in Japan” scenes, right? But what if you’re running short on time? Is there any way to multitask and combine our subjects?
Sure there is, with this picture of a primate taking a dip in a hot spring with his very own smartphone.
Feb 7, 2014
Just look at those large, round, clear eyes that seem to see right into your soul! They belong to what appears to be an undeniably adorable yet otherworldly furry creature. But wait, this can’t be an actual, living animal, can it?
No, you’re right, this isn’t a living animal — but it certainly looks life-like, doesn’t it? What you’re seeing here is the work of young Russian artist Santani. And we have a collection of pictures showing her gorgeous creations to share with you, so sit back, relax and let these creatures take you to an alien world!
Yes, it’s still only Wednesday, and that means we’re only half way through the week. But if you’re a glass-half-full kind of person like the little guy pictured above, that means we’re now half way through the week, and the weekend is in sight!
It may be hard to believe, but it has been almost 17 years since Final Fantasy VII, arguably the most revered entry in Square Enix’s iconic RPG series, was first unleashed on the world. And in honour of the game’s impeding birthday, its creators have commissioned a series of ridiculously cute “chibi” figures for hardcore gamers and fans of all things cute alike to enjoy, with pre-orders already being taken months ahead of their release.
Even though the Japanese kind of have a reputation as stoic individuals reluctant to express emotion, we’ve shown you time and again that the Japanese are suckers for a good heart string-tugging story as much as the people of the next country.
Still, it’s safe to say there’s more than an average amount of social pressure to keep your feelings to yourself in Japan, especially for authority figure types like teachers. Which might explain why the teacher in this next story went to extraordinary lengths to pass on one final message to his recent graduating class.
Were you starting to think, “RocketNews24 hasn’t been posting cat pictures recently”? We hear you! Here’s a cat that has been rated too cute for sanity. Are you ready to lose some marbles?
In the world of fantasy, Studio Ghibli gave us the magnificent Catbus in the anime film My Neighbor Totoro. Who wouldn’t want to catch a ride on a live, furry bus like that, right? Well, now in the real world here in Japan, it seems Disney is coming out with a unique ride that, while maybe not an exact recreation of the Catbus, comes pretty close. Yes, it’s the amazing furry “Duffy Bus”, and it’s a real-life cross between a bus and a stuffed animal! It’s so unique, you’ll have to see it to believe it!
People often talk about how expressive dogs’ eyes are, but I’m willing to bet no dog you’ve ever seen can match this little Pomeranian. Although she may have had a little assistance in achieving such heights of nonverbal communication…
We’ve shared with our readers quite a few Sailor Moon products in our past articles, from sexy Sailor Moon lingerie to sparkly Sailor Moon chopsticks. Now, while fans may be delighted with the wide range of Sailor Moon goods available, particularly the cute gadgets from toy maker Bandai, there are so many of them that it probably isn’t realistic to try to collect all of them, especially considering that some of the items aren’t exactly cheap.
In fact, some of our reporters at sister site Pouch who are die-hard fans of the series, had just recently been wishing aloud that Bandai would come out with an affordable range of Sailor Moon transformation compact mirrors. Well, it seems their wish has now come true! Just this week, Bandai released a new range of lovely compact mirrors, and more importantly, they’re cheap and can be bought right from a Gashapon vending machine!
There’s something so innocent about animals. That’s why it’s extra funny when they fail. Take the featured GIF at the top here for example. That little kitty just wanted to get into that super fun-looking box. He was probably going to pretend he was in a tree or whatever cats think about during the day. Instead, he was catapulted through the air and slammed to the floor by that box of wonder while his two dog friends blink uncontrollably.
You won’t find GIFs of annoying girls who think they’re Beyonce or dumb people doing equally dumb things. No, only missed jumps and badly timed leaps dominate this adorably cringeworthy compilation of some of Japan’s favorite fail GIFs featuring animals. Enjoy!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 31, 2014
Twitter user Zarame25 shared the above photo on earlier this week along with the comment: “My mother bought this bread, but I have no idea what it’s supposed to be. Is it a character or something? It’s some kind of weird animal.” Having spent the best part of this morning staring at it and throwing suggestions around, we have to admit we’re not sure what it’s supposed to be ether.
If you’ve been keeping up with the amazing 3-D latte art trends going on in Japan’s barista world right now, then you might want to take a look at their savoury counterparts popping up in grated radish form. Instead of swimming in cups of coffee, these adorable home-made creations are taking dips in winter hot pots and stews. Join us as we take a look at some of the cutest critters on offer, from Ghibli characters to sleeping cats, and see just how easy it is to cook up some edible cuteness at home.
- Japanese women dish about being betrayed by their female friends1
- Poster for Ghibli’s new movie under fire … from the big guru himself!2
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends3
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it4
- Visit Kiki’s Bakery at a unique fairytale village in Japan5
- Here are the weirdest things you can buy on Alibaba’s English site6
- Japanese Twitter users and the tale of the broken battery7
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat8
- “How many freakin’ CDs do I have to buy?” Fans displeased with idol group’s debut single9
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】5
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act6
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】7
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes8
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend9
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Here are the weirdest things you can buy on Alibaba’s English site
- Japanese Twitter users and the tale of the broken battery
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat
- “How many freakin’ CDs do I have to buy?” Fans displeased with idol group’s debut single
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend
- Japanese driver fails to stop at a yellow light, turns herself in to the police
- Healthy ice cream? Well, these new Häagen-Dazs vegetable flavors at least sound healthy!
- Japan continues to invent items it thinks you want!
- Japan’s king of curry restaurants enters the instant noodle market, we taste the results
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection