Were you starting to think, “RocketNews24 hasn’t been posting cat pictures recently”? We hear you! Here’s a cat that has been rated too cute for sanity. Are you ready to lose some marbles?
In the world of fantasy, Studio Ghibli gave us the magnificent Catbus in the anime film My Neighbor Totoro. Who wouldn’t want to catch a ride on a live, furry bus like that, right? Well, now in the real world here in Japan, it seems Disney is coming out with a unique ride that, while maybe not an exact recreation of the Catbus, comes pretty close. Yes, it’s the amazing furry “Duffy Bus”, and it’s a real-life cross between a bus and a stuffed animal! It’s so unique, you’ll have to see it to believe it!
People often talk about how expressive dogs’ eyes are, but I’m willing to bet no dog you’ve ever seen can match this little Pomeranian. Although she may have had a little assistance in achieving such heights of nonverbal communication…
We’ve shared with our readers quite a few Sailor Moon products in our past articles, from sexy Sailor Moon lingerie to sparkly Sailor Moon chopsticks. Now, while fans may be delighted with the wide range of Sailor Moon goods available, particularly the cute gadgets from toy maker Bandai, there are so many of them that it probably isn’t realistic to try to collect all of them, especially considering that some of the items aren’t exactly cheap.
In fact, some of our reporters at sister site Pouch who are die-hard fans of the series, had just recently been wishing aloud that Bandai would come out with an affordable range of Sailor Moon transformation compact mirrors. Well, it seems their wish has now come true! Just this week, Bandai released a new range of lovely compact mirrors, and more importantly, they’re cheap and can be bought right from a Gashapon vending machine!
There’s something so innocent about animals. That’s why it’s extra funny when they fail. Take the featured GIF at the top here for example. That little kitty just wanted to get into that super fun-looking box. He was probably going to pretend he was in a tree or whatever cats think about during the day. Instead, he was catapulted through the air and slammed to the floor by that box of wonder while his two dog friends blink uncontrollably.
You won’t find GIFs of annoying girls who think they’re Beyonce or dumb people doing equally dumb things. No, only missed jumps and badly timed leaps dominate this adorably cringeworthy compilation of some of Japan’s favorite fail GIFs featuring animals. Enjoy!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 31, 2014
Twitter user Zarame25 shared the above photo on earlier this week along with the comment: “My mother bought this bread, but I have no idea what it’s supposed to be. Is it a character or something? It’s some kind of weird animal.” Having spent the best part of this morning staring at it and throwing suggestions around, we have to admit we’re not sure what it’s supposed to be ether.
If you’ve been keeping up with the amazing 3-D latte art trends going on in Japan’s barista world right now, then you might want to take a look at their savoury counterparts popping up in grated radish form. Instead of swimming in cups of coffee, these adorable home-made creations are taking dips in winter hot pots and stews. Join us as we take a look at some of the cutest critters on offer, from Ghibli characters to sleeping cats, and see just how easy it is to cook up some edible cuteness at home.
Jan 23, 2014
There’s a new breed of sushi in town, and it’s called nekozushi (cat sushi). These unusual creatures live in an alternate reality, travelling between worlds on colourful sushi train plates, stopping to stare at passers-by for just long enough to get them thinking, “Did I really see that?” before zooming off again. Rare sightings have been reported over the years but no-one’s ever been able to really prove the existence of a sushi cat. Until now.
- Casey Baseel
Jan 23, 2014
I’ve never seen Pixar’s 2003 hit Finding Nemo, but I do know that when it came out, the whole world went gaga for clownfish. I can see why. With their colorful stripped bodies and cute little mouths, the things are adorable, even without the benefit of a feature-length motion picture from some of the most talented CG artists on the planet giving them a PR boost.
But you know something interesting about clownfish? They’re immune to the paralyzing toxins of the sea anemone. So when the cute little fishies start feeling hungry, they just hang out in the sea anemone’s tentacles, wait for it to immobilize and draw in some less resilient form of aquatic life, then dig in. After eating and digesting, some of the clownfish’s poo will drift into the anemone’s maw, providing it with important nutrients.
Now that we’ve thoroughly ruined Nemo for you, let us explain why this seemingly harmless polar bear tissue box cover is in fact terrifying.
This winter has seen some astonishingly low temps and heavy snow even in places that normally enjoy mild winter weather. In fact, the chilly weather has even stopped one finicky feline from pursuing her favorite pursuit: meowing to be let out and then meowing to be let back in.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 21, 2014
We’re sure most of you have already seen photos of the little capybaras bathing in their own private onsen hot spring at the Izu Shaboten Park in Shizuoka, Japan. Now with a little creative food play, you can put your very own capybara in hot water…and eat them too. But what are they made out of?
Since you’re reading our kinda geeky site about Japanese and Asian news and pop culture, we think it’s safe to assume you agree with us that cosplay is pretty cool and fun to look at, but it’s also natural to be slightly dubious that cosplaying could ever amount to anything more than an extremely expensive hobby or very crappy contract work.
Well, it turns out we were all wrong, and we were jerks to underestimate cosplay in the first place. The more time you spend in the cosplay world, the more you end up developing talents in a range of fields, including fashion design, cosmetics, lighting engineering and even photography, as the Internet learned when a Japanese cosplayer with just four years’ experience in the hobby gave her 54-year-old mom a full cosplay makeover and photo shoot.
It’s no secret that here at RocketNews24, we’re fond of anything cute and sweet, and we’ve certainly introduced our share of adorable-looking treats on our site, from totoro cream puffs and macaroons to marshmallow cat paws. Well, continuing in that spirit, we bring to you another delightful creation that looks too precious to eat! This time it’s a home-cooked snack that basically involves making pancakes, but the end result is still devastatingly cute!
Sanrio’s newest cutsy character, an anthropomorphic salmon fillet, set for major debut, grisly death
Jan 17, 2014
Japan never fails to amaze when it comes to transforming the quotidian into cute. I mean, this is the country that turns cucumber-stealing, human-throttling swamp monsters into adorable toys for kids. The country’s latest go at cute-ification comes from Hello Kitty producing toy company Sanrio: Kirimi-chan, a walking, talking salmon fillet, who is set to debut next month with a line of kawaii craziness.
Cats, the conventional logic goes, are the refined pet choice. Unlike dogs, whose motivations are so shallow that their loyalty can be won with a handful of sausages, cats are discerning creatures. They give their love to those who earn it, and only on their own terms, putting up the sort of uncaring exterior that would make them archetypical romantic leads in a dating simulator.
For many cat lovers, the hard-fought affection from a feline is all the more valuable than similar sentiments from other members of the animal kingdom. The back and forth of developing trust with a new acquaintance, the eventual thawing of an initially frosty reception, are these not like the social dances engaged in by humans?
However, cats also share another, less graceful aspect with we humans: they look really, really weird just before they sneeze.
- Philip Kendall
Jan 8, 2014
It’s only Wednesday, and already we’ve seen two brand new Rilakkuma products–clearly Japan’s favourite little bear is going to have a good year. Thankfully, this one won’t hurt your bank balance quite like the ear-toting Rilakkuma sofa we showed you yesterday. What you see before you are blocks of tofu designed especially for fans of the lethargic teddy, each featuring imprints of his face. Tofu may not be the most exciting foodstuff in the world, but we’re fairly sure this would help liven it up.
Meet Shiro and Mimi, just two of the stars of Kago Neko, a blog all about one Japanese cat fan’s pets. Sadly, the pair were not, in fact, born with such luscious barnets, but their owner, perhaps sensing their inner glam rock star, provided them with a couple of rather fetching blonde wigs. We think you’ll agree that they look pretty rockin’.
Rilakkuma, whose name is a combination of the words “relax” and “kuma” (meaning bear in Japanese), is one of Japan’s more deserving popular characters. Created back in 2003, the lazy little bear with a zip on his back became an instant hit with a series of picture books and cuddly toys, and continues to be adored almost 10 years on–a feat that few cute-for-the-sake-of-it mascots besides Hello Kitty could ever boast.
Now, a furniture maker in Japan is offering Rilakkuma fans the chance to purchase an original order-made sofa based on their favourite po-faced bear. But with a price tag of almost US$2,000, their bank balances will have to be just as healthy as their love of all things cute and cuddly to afford it.
Meet Leo-chan, an American shorthair cat living in Japan who is a master at being both annoying and adorable at the same time. Check out this video of her adorable poses as she begs for food.
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner2
- Does Avril Lavigne’s Tokyo music video really have anything to do with Japan?3
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan4
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz5
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”6
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit7
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!8
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life9
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate10
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated6
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love7
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together8
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan9
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit8
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate
- Whack-a-Kitty: Now with real kittens【Video】
- The wacky world of video game advertising in the ‘80s and ‘90s
- All-in-one bed is perfect for you, you lazy bum (Also, why don’t you get a job?)
- 21 photos of Sukiyabashi Jiro sushi, probably the best in all the world
- First-of-its-kind towel is totally worth its 5,000 yen price, customers say
- Tokyo Tower lights up beautifully in Star-Spangled Banner style for President Obama
- 【TBT】Japanese artist paints breathtakingly lifelike 3-D goldfish using layers of resin
- The Rice Cube — tasty-looking appetizers made fun and easy!!