One little gem of a recipe that’s been getting some high praise is Setsunai… Daikon Oroshi Daruma (Wistful… Grated Daikon Daruma). Although named after the round and red lucky charms of Japan, these side dishes certainly resemble snowmen, or yuki daruma in Japanese.
Daikon is one of the most well-known of the Japanese vegetables. Essentially an enormous radish, daikon are primarily used for pickling and seasoning, though you can find their leaves in some dishes as well. Although the kinds of radish known to Westerners tend to have a strong “bite” to them, Japanese daikon is much milder, and a firm favorite at this time of year found in warming dishes like oden.
Since daikon is used in so much food in Japan, it’s a very familiar taste for most Japanese people, and you can find it in everything from traditional cuisine to otsumami (snacks eaten while drinking), when people sometimes eat large chunks of boiled daikon. Despite what you might think, it’s surprisingly tasty! But what about making wine from daikon?
With the unveiling of the next iteration of iPhones, the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C a lot has been said about the iPhone 5C’s official protective case. I won’t bore you with all the details, but the words “aesthetic train wreck” tend to get bandied about.
People in Japan, however, get it very much. They see the brilliant functionality that helps them with a daily chore which an app could never fulfill. It helps them garnish their dishes with grated daikon, for instance…
However, during two days in December of last year 100 daikon were mercilessly snatched from their homes and brutally crushed in Suzuka City, Mie Prefecture.
After a tireless investigation the police announced on 22 April that the culprits have been apprehended. The ringleader was an unnamed 14 year-old junior high school girl with a very strange motive indeed…
Regular readers will no doubt recall our coverage last year of the mysterious Cornman, a well dressed gentleman spotted in the Tokyo area, pulling an ear of corn behind him on a dog leash. Despite being snapped numerous times and receiving a tremendous amount of attention online, his true identity remains unknown even to this day.
At the start of this week, however, new reports of sightings of Cornman began to appear on Twitter, and there was something altogether different about him: rather than pulling along his usual corn husk, he appears to have moved on to a large daikon radish instead. As surprising as this was, few of us were prepared for the explosion of Daikornman (as we’ve re-christened him on account of his new choice of vegetable) sightings that occurred in the following days…
The daikon is root vegetable widely used in Japanese cuisine. In the frigid winters it’s especially loved served in a steaming bowl of oden.
But most people don’t know how the humble daikon makes its way from the field to the dinner table. So the folks at Ume Mama Root Vegetable Farms have photo-documented the entire life of a typical daikon and presented it via Twitter.
I sat down to write this introduction with half a mind to just plonk the video in the centre of the page and leave you to it. Never before has the term “WTF” been more relevant.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the “Sexual Harassment Interface”, a series of daikon radishes wired up to electric sensors that produce erotic moans and groans whenever they are touched. With just a few pieces of simple electrical equipment, these poor, innocent radishes are transformed from simple brassicas to legs, arms, butts and, well, whatever you want them to be.
Never before have vegetables been more NSFW…
- What Apple and Microsoft Would Look Like if Personified as Anime Characters1
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!2
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles3
- Freshman facepalms: Japanese college students struggle to answer basic astronomy questions4
- Video game maker’s Akihabara pizza joint has great food, not a single maid5
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot6
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend7
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer8
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 20149
- Learn about Japanese history with cute smartphone samurai warrior cats!10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director6
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected7
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts8
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 2014
- Learn about Japanese history with cute smartphone samurai warrior cats!
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】
- The 6 best frozen foods at a Japanese grocery store
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland
- Adorable chinchilla causes Japanese netizens to have cute attack 【Photos】
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong