Ever sit down to eat a meal and wish you knew how many calories or salt were in your food? Ever cooked a piece of meat or fish only to later wonder whether it might have gone bad? Last week, Chinese Internet giant Baidu announced that it has been working on a pair of wi-fi-enabled high-tech chopsticks that will be able to detect the nutritional makeup of the food it touches as well as warning consumers of any safety issues such as contaminants or expired food.
It’s not easy out there for people with weight issues when even fictional monsters are criticized for being too pudgy. But a popular Japanese Twitter user with more than 45,000 followers is pushing back on society’s fat-shaming and telling the world how great life is when Ramen Jiro is your “afternoon snack.”
E_Debu, who says he is “the fatty who has a high consciousness,” has been musing on his observations about life as a big person. He enlightens his online audience on some of the hardships as well as the benefits of coming in a larger size. Click below to read 25 thought-provoking observations from one of the most popular “fatties” on the Internet.
If you’re a fan of obento, those delicious looking home-made Japanese lunches full of colour and variety, then you’re going to love this product from Japan: edible cupcake wrappers made from seaweed.
Traditionally, these little wrappers are made from paper or plastic and while they’re great for keeping flavours separate in your lunch box, the daily waste involved isn’t really that great for the environment. Now with this edible variety on the market, you can look forward to taking home an empty lunch box at the end of the day and rest easy knowing you’ve left nature unharmed. Plus, if this idea spills over to the cupcake world, it looks like we could soon be having our cake and eating its wrapper too!
Mar 8, 2014
Does the name Valeria Lukyanova seem to ring a bell? If you’ve been hanging around enough, you might remember our previous posts about the Ukraine-based Russian model who is known as the “real-life Barbie“. We haven’t heard news of her for about a year or so, but she’s back in the spotlight again and this time, it’s not about her already well-known doll-like looks.
Word is, she’s now attempting to survive on only air and light. Holy cow, could she really be turning into a real Barbie doll?!
Look, we completely understand how quickly a diet can disappear when things like all-you-can-eat burgers exist in this world. And trying to implement the newest fad diet or tracking down black market diet pills seems to be a full time job for some of us. That is why here at RocketNews24, we have worked hard to find the most shocking, disgusting image that will make you immediately lose your taste for fast food, carbs, sugar, fat and anything else that tastes too good.
Back in 2011, news reports that Chinese-made “health supplements” contained ground-up corpses of babies and fetuses shocked the world. Unfortunately, this macabre story continues as some of the so-called “human flesh capsules” have made their way into South Korea again. Even though there has been a heavy crackdown on these kind of black market “medicine,” Korean authorities arrested two Chinese men last month for smuggling the gruesome pills and then reselling them as “diet supplements.”
Apparently Japan is under the impression that Mattel’s Fijit Friends toy is actually America’s favorite new diet tool.
The below video – which we pray to God, Buddha and Zombie Jesus is a misguided parody of some kind – shows Japanese women going nuts over the new “fijiet” trend.
Despite being famous for producing the heated, buttock-massaging, water-spraying robotic toilets of the future, Japan is also home to a surprising number of old-school “washiki” (Japanese style) squat toilets. Especially outside of the city, these toilets can still be found in many homes, public buildings and schools, despite the vast majority of the younger generation positively recoiling whenever they open a stall door to find one of these things waiting to humbly accept their waste.
According to Internet chatter this week, though, there may actually be more benefits to using Japanese-style toilets than simply good posture, with “hygienic”, “time-saving” and “strengthening” just some of the words being used to describe these classic ceramics.
John Stuart Translations
Mar 16, 2013
Quite common in Western countries, the concept of shared accommodation in Japan is still relatively new. However, according to Oak House, a guest house and apartment operator in Tokyo, such accommodation is gaining in popularity. Fifteen years ago, the company managed about 150 units; today that figure has risen to 2,300. Shunned by some as being inconvenient and a hassle, others are being drawn to added-value properties featuring amenities such as yoga studios and home theater facilities. Oak House said there is a waiting list of 100 people at its most popular location.
Shared accommodation also has the benefit of being cost effective as no key money (a mandatory, nonrefundable payment, typically equivalent to two months’ rent, given to the landlord for the privilege of being able to live in the unit) or security deposit (typically two months’ rent, and though technically refundable, is seldom returned in full as apartment cleaning fees and other expenses are deducted) are required. Additionally, furnishings are provided, something else that is not common in Japan, meaning initial outlays can be kept to a minimum.
With the popularity of this type of housing increasing, companies in Japan are concocting various inducements in an effort to draw in renters.
For those whose work has them chained to a desk, concerns about whether or not they are getting enough exercise often creep into their minds.
In Japan, it is estimated that an average adult male should burn about 2,000 calories a day while an adult female should use around 1,700 (numbers vary according to age and build). Even armed with that knowledge, many people still consume more calories than they burn by indulging in snacks between meals and eating excessively late into the night. A lot of desk jockeys are probably wondering what they should do to better their situation.
Well, there might be some good news. The number of calories burnt at the click of a mouse has recently been calculated.
Mar 2, 2013
Ahh, the things we do for love … but of course, love takes many forms, sometimes with astonishing results.
Just a month ago, we brought to you the story of the amazing cosplay diet that had the Japanese internet buzzing. Now, there’s another young lady who achieved equally incredible results dieting — motivated by her love for a manga comic, no less. And we have to say our hats were off to her when we learned how she shed off the weight. Read More
For many, life is a never-ending battle to achieve a slim waistline. Some try fad dieting, others exercise, but the most painful part of trying to lose weight is not seeing results. Yet one woman found a way to stay motivated and lost an amazing 20 kg (44 lbs).
Her motivator? Cosplay! But she didn’t want to simply dress in costume for her own pleasure. This woman’s goal was to maintain her D cup breasts, slim down her stomach, and wear the skimpiest outfit she could find.
Despite my own personal hatred for this beverage that tastes like vomit chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes, it was good to see people get into this otherwise healthy drink.
Sadly, it looks as if this fad has run its course, based on the latest tomato juice based research sponsored by juice maker Kagome. Coroners have estimated the time of death for the fad to be 9:20pm on July 2nd.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide3
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children4
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional5
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers6
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?7
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map8
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy9
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- The craziest small arms maneuvers by South Korean SWAT, in 9 GIFs
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!
- Domino’s Japan offering discounts to customers who pound the wall, show mementos from old flames
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid
- Adorable character hot pots are this fall’s kawaii-est foods
- Sailor Moon candy, dolls, and music boxes! More new merch than you can shake a Moon Stick at
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: ‘No more weird architecture’