China’s World Metropolis Center (WMC) has become the center of controversy recently over their decision to lay out 10 parking spaces intended for women only. As a result, what we assume was a well-intentioned gesture by the shopping center has seemed to upset some people online drawing cries of discrimination. On the other hand, visitors to the mall seemed pleased with the initiative.
Many of us have an impression that Japanese girls are slim and petite (which many of them really are), but one of the sad truths behind their stick-thin figures is a rather serious case of discrimination from society. While voluptuous women are popular in certain parts of the world, being even slightly chubby (not obese) is a big no-no in Japan and chubby girls often get called “debu” (fatso) online and sometimes to their face.
But recently, a new nickname for such chubby ladies has started trending among Japanese netizens, which hopefully will change the attitudes people have towards them. Behold, the rise of the “marshmallow girls”!
Much ink has been spilled about the supposed homogeneity of Japan and the dangerous idea of racial purity that goes along with it. Some expats have made entire careers writing — or ranting — about the problems of discrimination in Japan. And yet, the number of foreign residents has more than doubled in the last 20 years and international marriages in the country have been steadily rising, so it can’t be all that hostile either.
So how racist is Japan, really? Here’s my take—admittedly only one perspective—on where things stand.
- Andrew Miller
Jul 20, 2013
From women-only seats in libraries to female-only university cafes, it would seem that women get a lot of preferential treatment in Japan. Whether it be a restaurant with “ladies’ courses” on the menu or cinemas offering “ladies’ day” discounts, it is difficult to ignore the abundance of cheap deals or special services on offer to women. On the one hand, it all serves to help the struggling Japanese economy, but a lot of men can’t help but feel that they’re being a little discriminated against.
There are few experiences less fun than going through a job interview. That 30 minute walk across eggshells as someone combs through your life story is an exhausting ordeal for many people. One mistaken gesture or misspoken answer can bring your future plans crashing down around you.
Even if you don’t do anything wrong, who knows what kind of prejudices the interviewer may have. Maybe they don’t like the way you comb your hair or your Mötley Crüe face tattoo.
As unfair as those things are, one student looking for work in China recently came across a more heinous form of workplace discrimination – ant-iPhonetism.
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests1
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!4
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets5
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race8
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’9
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!9
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Kids’ Hello Kitty Dictionary is surprisingly gritty
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex