Nagoya’s resident six-meter mannequin has been looking a little long in the face recently. What on earth’s going on with her?!
Is there anything creepier than finding an inexplicable, crazy-looking doll on the street? No, probably not.
Porcelain dolls especially have that sort of old-timey, “back when science couldn’t explain things” vibe that makes them even creepier than, say, a Cabbage Patch Kid you found in your now-adult sister’s closet. So it’s not surprising that when somebody found this one sitting at the base of a tree in Singapore, the Internet took notice.
For the parents of the world who refuse to let their children play with gender non-confirming toys, Jian Yang from Singapore should serve as a warning to what may happen if you don’t let kids be kids. The 30-something professional wasn’t allowed to have a doll growing up, but started collecting them when he got older and is now the proud owner of roughly 9,000 dolls.
While he hasn’t gone as far as some doll enthusiasts to sate their obsession, he has spent at least US$350,000 in the last 20 years on his ever-growing collection. Click below to see pictures of Yang’s enormous stash and to learn more about what drives this self-described “toy nerd” to buy this many dolls!
May 23, 2014
Fans may be counting the days with anticipation until the launch of the new Sailor Moon anime series in July, but in the meantime, the good folks at Bandai have come up with yet another attractive product inspired by the series. Yes, the new “Pullip Sailor Moon” has just become available for pre-order, and it looks like Sailor Moon fans now have one more lovely product to seriously covet. And unlike some of the other Sailor Moon goods from Bandai, this one is not just a cute gadget, but a re-creation of the magical guardian warrior herself!
Making oneself into a fully posable action figure was once a mere pipe dream for those of us who weren’t movie stars, rock stars or the combination of both that is Mr. Sato. But now with technology and some craftsmanship anyone can immortalize themselves in the medium of dolls… until they come to life in the middle of the night and kill you.
You’d be forgiven for thinking the two girls in this photo were complete strangers, living on opposite sides of the planet. But, believe it or not, these are in fact before and after shots of the very same girl. Read More
We Visit the Shrine of the Dolls, Where Creepiness Turns to Inspiration and a Doll Has Hair that Grows
- Master Blaster
Nov 2, 2012
Awashima Shrine is known as the shrine of “memorial dolls” (dolls given as offerings to the shrine) because of the countless dolls and figures that surround the main building and the grounds. It stands apart from the other shrines of Japan in the otherworldly atmosphere it gives off. Some say it has a psychic energy to it.
At the shrine there is said to be a doll with hair that grows. Who knows if there are really ghosts in the world, but you certainly get the sense there is something “present” when confronted with these eerie yet peaceful guardians.
When Science Meets Cute: Robotic Minnie Mouse Helps Humans Drift Off to Sleep, Keeps Her Own Eyes Wide Open to Watch For Aliens
- Philip Kendall
Oct 9, 2012
We’ve all had those nights where we lie in bed for hours but just can’t seem to nod off.
You’ve fallen out with a friend or family member and it’s weighing on your mind; you have a big test coming up that you’re not quite ready for; you’re eight years old and, for some god-unknown reason, your parents let you watch Aliens with them and you’re under the covers, sweating profusely and terrified that an acid-spitting xenomorph is about to eat you (are you reading this, Mum!?)…
What you need, according to Science –yes, with a capital “S”– and Disney, is something to help calm that stressed-out brain of yours. Something to calm you down and soothe you into a restful night’s sleep.
That thing… is a Minnie Mouse doll.
- New tax exemption system for foreign visitors to Japan starts today!1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】3
- Expat’s video “Our Japan” beautifully captures why we love it here4
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Shonen Jump surprises readers with literal booby traps in new online manga service7
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into ‘laziness’ of young Japanese job hunters8
- Soup not soap: Japanese public bathhouses surviving by converting into retro-chic cafés9
- Strawberry and beef? We try Lotteria’s new Tochigi Wagyu Steak Hamburger with Strawberry Sauce10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army7
- Tokyo ice cream stand’s colossal eight-flavor cones might be the biggest we’ve ever seen8
- Miranda Kerr’s newest photoshoot for Vogue Japan stirs up controversy9
- Big in Japan, not so much in the U.S. – Fangirl furious over Arashi concert ticket price gap10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability7
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】8
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval9
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- Shonen Jump surprises readers with literal booby traps in new online manga service
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into ‘laziness’ of young Japanese job hunters
- Soup not soap: Japanese public bathhouses surviving by converting into retro-chic cafés
- Strawberry and beef? We try Lotteria’s new Tochigi Wagyu Steak Hamburger with Strawberry Sauce
- We try Riedel’s glass which unleashes the true flavor potential of Coca Cola
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results
- Is your grandpa bad-ass enough for these epic, blade-concealing walking sticks?
- Chinese writer thinks Doraemon is a sinister affront to China
- Tokyo ice cream stand’s colossal eight-flavor cones might be the biggest we’ve ever seen
- “Nara Quest”: The perfect parodying souvenirs from Nara Prefecture for all Dragon Quest fans
- Three reasons to sleep with a huggy pillow (that have nothing to do with an anime crush)