Do you ever have those days when you wonder what you would look like with a six-pack, throwing a punch, or literally bending over backwards to do something, but you don’t have enough confidence in your own strength and flexibility to actually try? Have you gotten tired of your usual action figures, wishing it was you fighting the bad guys? Well, you don’t have to wonder or wish anymore with this fully moveable action figure made to look just like you!
Nagoya’s resident six-meter mannequin has been looking a little long in the face recently. What on earth’s going on with her?!
Is there anything creepier than finding an inexplicable, crazy-looking doll on the street? No, probably not.
Porcelain dolls especially have that sort of old-timey, “back when science couldn’t explain things” vibe that makes them even creepier than, say, a Cabbage Patch Kid you found in your now-adult sister’s closet. So it’s not surprising that when somebody found this one sitting at the base of a tree in Singapore, the Internet took notice.
For the parents of the world who refuse to let their children play with gender non-confirming toys, Jian Yang from Singapore should serve as a warning to what may happen if you don’t let kids be kids. The 30-something professional wasn’t allowed to have a doll growing up, but started collecting them when he got older and is now the proud owner of roughly 9,000 dolls.
While he hasn’t gone as far as some doll enthusiasts to sate their obsession, he has spent at least US$350,000 in the last 20 years on his ever-growing collection. Click below to see pictures of Yang’s enormous stash and to learn more about what drives this self-described “toy nerd” to buy this many dolls!
May 23, 2014
Fans may be counting the days with anticipation until the launch of the new Sailor Moon anime series in July, but in the meantime, the good folks at Bandai have come up with yet another attractive product inspired by the series. Yes, the new “Pullip Sailor Moon” has just become available for pre-order, and it looks like Sailor Moon fans now have one more lovely product to seriously covet. And unlike some of the other Sailor Moon goods from Bandai, this one is not just a cute gadget, but a re-creation of the magical guardian warrior herself!
Making oneself into a fully posable action figure was once a mere pipe dream for those of us who weren’t movie stars, rock stars or the combination of both that is Mr. Sato. But now with technology and some craftsmanship anyone can immortalize themselves in the medium of dolls… until they come to life in the middle of the night and kill you.
You’d be forgiven for thinking the two girls in this photo were complete strangers, living on opposite sides of the planet. But, believe it or not, these are in fact before and after shots of the very same girl. Read More
We Visit the Shrine of the Dolls, Where Creepiness Turns to Inspiration and a Doll Has Hair that Grows
Nov 2, 2012
Awashima Shrine is known as the shrine of “memorial dolls” (dolls given as offerings to the shrine) because of the countless dolls and figures that surround the main building and the grounds. It stands apart from the other shrines of Japan in the otherworldly atmosphere it gives off. Some say it has a psychic energy to it.
At the shrine there is said to be a doll with hair that grows. Who knows if there are really ghosts in the world, but you certainly get the sense there is something “present” when confronted with these eerie yet peaceful guardians.
When Science Meets Cute: Robotic Minnie Mouse Helps Humans Drift Off to Sleep, Keeps Her Own Eyes Wide Open to Watch For Aliens
Oct 9, 2012
We’ve all had those nights where we lie in bed for hours but just can’t seem to nod off.
You’ve fallen out with a friend or family member and it’s weighing on your mind; you have a big test coming up that you’re not quite ready for; you’re eight years old and, for some god-unknown reason, your parents let you watch Aliens with them and you’re under the covers, sweating profusely and terrified that an acid-spitting xenomorph is about to eat you (are you reading this, Mum!?)…
What you need, according to Science –yes, with a capital “S”– and Disney, is something to help calm that stressed-out brain of yours. Something to calm you down and soothe you into a restful night’s sleep.
That thing… is a Minnie Mouse doll.
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer1
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile4
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme5
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos6
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence7
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art3
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less4
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’7
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- We Order Whopper With 1050 Bacon Strips, Struggle to Level Comically Huge Burger10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Anti-UK World War II era photograph featuring grimacing geisha uncovered
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- Japanese netizens show love for “English Toast” which is neither English nor Toast
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window
- From mermaids to monsters: The taxidermy mummies on show in Japan【Photos】