Japanese goukon (organized group dates) are a mixed bag – sometimes they’re a whole lot of fun, and other times they’re a downright uncomfortable experience. For Japanese women wanting to reduce their risk of having a terrible time, one magazine has put together a list of the top companies to avoid when it comes to lecherous guys at their drinking parties.
Jun 19, 2014
After living here for the best part of eight years (five in the country, the rest in the capital) I’ve come to realise that for all the talk of Japan being kind of an oddball nation, it’s no weirder than anywhere else, and perhaps the only reason people here sometimes come across as so quirky is because the rest of the time they mind their own business and just get on with things quietly.
One thing that never fails to astound me when I go out at night in Tokyo, though, is the almost superhuman way in which some businessmen – despite looking like they’ve consumed more alcohol than I ever could without ending up in hospital or featured in the local news – still manage to remain upright and even have the wherewithal to navigate the city’s labyrinthine stations, board a train and get themselves home.
Here are some words about this. Read them if you want to.
Friday night means going out for a drink with your buddies from the office or your favorite classmates. It also means a large chunk of cash is missing from you wallet when you wake up with a pounding headache on Saturday morning. As much fun as a night on the town is, it’s often ridiculously expensive–especially in Tokyo! And it doesn’t help things that bars and restaurants love to mark up their drinks by…well, a lot. If only you could get your booze and snacks at cost.
Well guess what, thirsty and hungry readers? You can at the Genka Bar! At least, that’s what they claim. We sent one of our Japanese writers to find out the truth. Check out the results below.
‘”Married Men Don’t Look Happy!” “Wives Unnecessary!”: An Increasing Number of Japanese Men Opting for Bachelorhood
Jan 16, 2013
In Japan, the number of men and women choosing to marry later in life is on the increase and has reached a figure that can no longer be ignored. When it comes to the Japanese male demography, just why are so many choosing the single life? My Navi News asked 300 of its male readers the following question:
“Have you ever thought ‘Marriage isn’t for me’ or ‘I prefer the life of bachelorhood’?”
The results obtained were a little on the unexpected side:
The men who replied ‘yes’ were asked their reasons for snubbing a life of marital bliss. Their answers in full after the break.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】2
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians6
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video7
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January8
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look9
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG3
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20154
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women5
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- The scariest snow sculpture you’ll see this winter
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year
- The top 10 Instagram photo locations for Japan in 2014 【Photos】