We’ve got a new candidate for the “Worst Father of the Year” award. And trust us–he’s got a very good chance at winning that title. What responsible parent would make his seven-year-old son drive him home after getting drunk and passing out??
Aug 16, 2014
It’s never a good choice to try to drown your sorrows with alcohol when you feel like you’re down on luck. As the saying goes, it never rains but it pours and when you’re down and out, not to mention drunk, there’s a high possibility that shit is going to happen.
Let’s not even get into drunk driving; Taiwanese news site ETToday recently reported a bizarre case of a drunken man who broke into someone’s house, and eventually jumped out of a window from the fifth floor, landing him in the hospital. How exactly did all that come together? Details after the break!
May 30, 2014
It’s finally Friday here in Tokyo, and hundreds of thousands of people are gearing up for a night on the town. The weather is fine, the pubs plentiful, and with work done for another week it’s time to cut back and relax with a few beers.
Unfortunately, a lot of people in Japan tend to overdo it when it comes to drink. Combined with an alcohol intolerance that is surprisingly common amongst Asian people, this results in a shockingly high number of alcohol-related mishaps, with businessmen, beautifully dressed girls and college kids alike passing out on the street, in stairwells, on trains and station platforms pretty much every weekend.
The Yaocho Bar Group has been out looking for these sleeping drunks, however, and when they find one they swoop in like a band of rogue graffiti artists, using duct tape and pre-printed messages and slogans to construct a billboard around them, clearly labelling the drinker with the word nomisugi, or “drank too much’.
John Stuart Translations
Apr 22, 2013
Figuring that buying his two young boys a present would help ease the wrath of an angry spouse when he got home late after a night of drinking with co-workers (as process known as nominication), company employee Taro Suzuki may have inadvertently left the gift in a public phone booth after calling his wife to say he would be later than expected due to having missed the last train.
“My boys have a huge aquarium and love gold fish,” said Suzuki while picking his ear with his house keys. “I thought if I brought home a few more their joy at receiving them would help calm the wife who, if past experience is any kind of indicator, might be somewhat displeased with my having missed dinner to go out for a few with the guys.”
It wasn’t until Suzuki got home and went to make his play, however, that he realized he no longer had the fish!
American Soldier Suspected of Trespassing and Assaulting Okinawan Middle School Student After Curfew
Nov 4, 2012
Since 16 October a curfew has been in place on all US soldiers stationed in Japan restricting them from leaving their bases from 11pm to 5am. This was in response to an incident where two soldiers allegedly raped a young Japanese woman in Okinawa.
However, on 2 November what appeared to have been a drunk American soldier trespassed into a room and struck a young boy. The police investigation is ongoing.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 1, 2012
In Japan, goukon, are mixers meant to set the stage for finding a mate. They are designed to help young adults find at least a relationship, if not a suitable marriage partner, and are often organized by businesses like in the ad above.
The average goukon brings together around three to five people of each gender and takes place at a restaurant or izakaya (Japanese-style bar). Groups are seated randomly, usually with seats alternating by gender so everyone can get to know each other better.
Business organizational skills aside, most women know that the chance of a relationship forming from a goukon depends on the efforts of the participants. A certain protocol must be followed if a man wants a woman to give him the time of day. If he is too out-of-place, then it could cause embarrassment all around.
Japanese website Otome Sugoren surveyed their female readers to find out what kind of guy they think shouldn’t even bother showing up to the goukon party. Men: be sure to pay attention so you know what not to do at your next goukon. After all, while you may be there to play the field, women are serious about finding someone! Read More
- (alcohol • boyfriend • comfortable • communication • conversation • drunk • enjoyable time • even number • finding a mate • finding someone • girlfriend • goukon • grab your fancy • husband • ice breaker • mixers • relationships in japan • sober • stylishly dressed • talk to men • talk to women • uncomfortable • wife)
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it1
- Friends too busy to go to the Pokémon Cafe? No problem! Pikachu himself will sit with you2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out4
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial5
- Woman’s best friend: Possibly the sweetest photos of a grandma and her cat you will ever see6
- First Kit Kat Chocolatery shop with cafe opens in Kyoto! New Chocolatery items released too7
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest8
- New batch of socks with collars adds sailor suit style for your feet, plus lace and button-downs9
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin2
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China5
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”6
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public7
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out8
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens9
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Woman’s best friend: Possibly the sweetest photos of a grandma and her cat you will ever see
- First Kit Kat Chocolatery shop with cafe opens in Kyoto! New Chocolatery items released too
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest
- New batch of socks with collars adds sailor suit style for your feet, plus lace and button-downs
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite
- Ariana Grande is learning hiragana and Japan can’t stop talking about it
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- Which one’s your favourite Cid? The evolution of Final Fantasy’s constant character
- Forget shuriken: 10 stealthy and dangerous ninja tools you didn’t know existed
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Field testing the magic, voice-operated pendant from Ghibli’s Castle in the Sky 【Video】
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- A visit to Sushi Dai, Japan’s best sushi restaurant according to world travelers