The Ginza area of Tokyo is by far the ritziest of all of Japan’s districts. With stores such as Chanel, Cartier and Bulgari (not to mention an extremely overpriced bar staffed by former and current porn stars), you’re going to have to have a lot of yen in your pockets if you want to do more than window shop and people watch. Yes, there are exceptions and cheap eats to be found nestled amongst the luxury items, but overall, Ginza is dominated by fancy things. Just look at the elevators…
Apr 24, 2014
Japan’s Hitachi Corporation has announced that it is manufacturing elevators that will reach speeds of 72km/h (45 mph) for a giant high-rise being built in Guangzhou, China.
Apr 15, 2014
They kill scores of people annually around the world. They have no motive or ideology and can’t be reasoned with, and yet we rely on them every day because stairs are a real pain.
I’m talking of course about escalators and elevators which caused nearly 300 deaths in the USA in the 90s and injured over 700 Koreans in the past five years leaving 50 for dead. Still with all this carnage the human race continues to embrace these death traps simply because they can get us to other floors quickly.
Not any more, says South Korea’s Ministry of Security and Public Administration (MOSPA), which has created the Elevator and Escalator Safety Division.
Dec 18, 2013
On 16 December, Judge Ryosuke Takahashi of the Fukuoka District Court ruled in favor of Japan Rail Kyushu and ordered a Higashi Ward resident to pay 1.3 million yen (US$13,000) to compensate for damages brought about his near daily urination routine over the course of six months.
Scott R Dixon
Oct 28, 2013
While making his getaway after stealing a hot pink scooter, a wannabe thief in Szechuan, China found himself face to face with an extremely irate trio of vigilante sisters. The criminal did not get far with his ill-gotten and far-from-inconspicuous booty when one of the women recognized the pink scooter, and security cameras caught all of the action for our viewing pleasure! Check out the video after the jump.
If you’re going to Tokyo Tower anytime soon, you probably won’t be able to go up to the 250-meter (820-foot) Special Observatory, which stands high above the 150-meter (492-foot) Main Observatory. Why? The one-and-only elevator providing service to the higher level has been temporarily closed after a piece of flying metal broke one of the glass walls!
Sep 14, 2013
Which of the above locations, from A to E, would you consider the safest when riding an elevator with a person you don’t know or are suspicious of? Chances are you’ve never really thought about it, but the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department recently published the following safety information intended to educate women about riding elevators alone with men, advising them of what to do should they feel uncomfortable.
Sighted in the upper reaches of Amazon Japan’s offices, these elevator doors–designed to resemble the company’s tear-open delivery boxes–were snapped by a Japanese Twitter user and shared online this past weekend. Suffice it to say, they just made our day.
Nov 2, 2012
Residents of the Sri Saujana Flat in Penang, Malaysia are up in arms after a security camera caught a young woman urinating in their elevator. However, they are unable to identify the woman who just couldn’t hold it.
On the video, the woman is seen boarding the elevator. Then after quickly glancing straight into the camera, pulls down her shorts, squats down and lets it all out over the floor of the lift.
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men1
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】2
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?3
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?4
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross5
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads6
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors7
- Cute, snack-loving Japanese parakeet proves even birds go into food comas8
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing9
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts3
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy4
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls5
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】6
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back9
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- Cute, snack-loving Japanese parakeet proves even birds go into food comas
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box
- Nicocafe dishes up a serving of surreal with manga meat, half an umaibo, and rice teishoku
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- “But we’re speaking Japanese!”: Humorous video confronts lingering stereotypes in Japan
- Beautiful Ethnic Uyghur Model Gul Nazar Takes the Stage in China
- Another Chinese knock-off has hit the market, this time it’s a city!