The Ginza area of Tokyo is by far the ritziest of all of Japan’s districts. With stores such as Chanel, Cartier and Bulgari (not to mention an extremely overpriced bar staffed by former and current porn stars), you’re going to have to have a lot of yen in your pockets if you want to do more than window shop and people watch. Yes, there are exceptions and cheap eats to be found nestled amongst the luxury items, but overall, Ginza is dominated by fancy things. Just look at the elevators…
Apr 24, 2014
Japan’s Hitachi Corporation has announced that it is manufacturing elevators that will reach speeds of 72km/h (45 mph) for a giant high-rise being built in Guangzhou, China.
Apr 15, 2014
They kill scores of people annually around the world. They have no motive or ideology and can’t be reasoned with, and yet we rely on them every day because stairs are a real pain.
I’m talking of course about escalators and elevators which caused nearly 300 deaths in the USA in the 90s and injured over 700 Koreans in the past five years leaving 50 for dead. Still with all this carnage the human race continues to embrace these death traps simply because they can get us to other floors quickly.
Not any more, says South Korea’s Ministry of Security and Public Administration (MOSPA), which has created the Elevator and Escalator Safety Division.
Dec 18, 2013
On 16 December, Judge Ryosuke Takahashi of the Fukuoka District Court ruled in favor of Japan Rail Kyushu and ordered a Higashi Ward resident to pay 1.3 million yen (US$13,000) to compensate for damages brought about his near daily urination routine over the course of six months.
Scott R Dixon
Oct 28, 2013
While making his getaway after stealing a hot pink scooter, a wannabe thief in Szechuan, China found himself face to face with an extremely irate trio of vigilante sisters. The criminal did not get far with his ill-gotten and far-from-inconspicuous booty when one of the women recognized the pink scooter, and security cameras caught all of the action for our viewing pleasure! Check out the video after the jump.
If you’re going to Tokyo Tower anytime soon, you probably won’t be able to go up to the 250-meter (820-foot) Special Observatory, which stands high above the 150-meter (492-foot) Main Observatory. Why? The one-and-only elevator providing service to the higher level has been temporarily closed after a piece of flying metal broke one of the glass walls!
Sep 14, 2013
Which of the above locations, from A to E, would you consider the safest when riding an elevator with a person you don’t know or are suspicious of? Chances are you’ve never really thought about it, but the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department recently published the following safety information intended to educate women about riding elevators alone with men, advising them of what to do should they feel uncomfortable.
Sighted in the upper reaches of Amazon Japan’s offices, these elevator doors–designed to resemble the company’s tear-open delivery boxes–were snapped by a Japanese Twitter user and shared online this past weekend. Suffice it to say, they just made our day.
Nov 2, 2012
Residents of the Sri Saujana Flat in Penang, Malaysia are up in arms after a security camera caught a young woman urinating in their elevator. However, they are unable to identify the woman who just couldn’t hold it.
On the video, the woman is seen boarding the elevator. Then after quickly glancing straight into the camera, pulls down her shorts, squats down and lets it all out over the floor of the lift.
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers3
- Scope out which love hotel to take your next date to right now in Google Street View4
- Super generous Japanese megastore keeps boxes of change at register for you to use5
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing6
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so7
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking8
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares9
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- This old Nintendo game quadrupled in price in just a week
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- Mr. Hanko is here! Bringing life to your name stamp and joy to your office
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot