The Ginza area of Tokyo is by far the ritziest of all of Japan’s districts. With stores such as Chanel, Cartier and Bulgari (not to mention an extremely overpriced bar staffed by former and current porn stars), you’re going to have to have a lot of yen in your pockets if you want to do more than window shop and people watch. Yes, there are exceptions and cheap eats to be found nestled amongst the luxury items, but overall, Ginza is dominated by fancy things. Just look at the elevators…
- Philip Kendall
Apr 24, 2014
Japan’s Hitachi Corporation has announced that it is manufacturing elevators that will reach speeds of 72km/h (45 mph) for a giant high-rise being built in Guangzhou, China.
- Master Blaster
Apr 15, 2014
They kill scores of people annually around the world. They have no motive or ideology and can’t be reasoned with, and yet we rely on them every day because stairs are a real pain.
I’m talking of course about escalators and elevators which caused nearly 300 deaths in the USA in the 90s and injured over 700 Koreans in the past five years leaving 50 for dead. Still with all this carnage the human race continues to embrace these death traps simply because they can get us to other floors quickly.
Not any more, says South Korea’s Ministry of Security and Public Administration (MOSPA), which has created the Elevator and Escalator Safety Division.
- Master Blaster
Dec 18, 2013
On 16 December, Judge Ryosuke Takahashi of the Fukuoka District Court ruled in favor of Japan Rail Kyushu and ordered a Higashi Ward resident to pay 1.3 million yen (US$13,000) to compensate for damages brought about his near daily urination routine over the course of six months.
While making his getaway after stealing a hot pink scooter, a wannabe thief in Szechuan, China found himself face to face with an extremely irate trio of vigilante sisters. The criminal did not get far with his ill-gotten and far-from-inconspicuous booty when one of the women recognized the pink scooter, and security cameras caught all of the action for our viewing pleasure! Check out the video after the jump.
If you’re going to Tokyo Tower anytime soon, you probably won’t be able to go up to the 250-meter (820-foot) Special Observatory, which stands high above the 150-meter (492-foot) Main Observatory. Why? The one-and-only elevator providing service to the higher level has been temporarily closed after a piece of flying metal broke one of the glass walls!
- Philip Kendall
Sep 14, 2013
Which of the above locations, from A to E, would you consider the safest when riding an elevator with a person you don’t know or are suspicious of? Chances are you’ve never really thought about it, but the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department recently published the following safety information intended to educate women about riding elevators alone with men, advising them of what to do should they feel uncomfortable.
Sighted in the upper reaches of Amazon Japan’s offices, these elevator doors–designed to resemble the company’s tear-open delivery boxes–were snapped by a Japanese Twitter user and shared online this past weekend. Suffice it to say, they just made our day.
- Master Blaster
Nov 2, 2012
Residents of the Sri Saujana Flat in Penang, Malaysia are up in arms after a security camera caught a young woman urinating in their elevator. However, they are unable to identify the woman who just couldn’t hold it.
On the video, the woman is seen boarding the elevator. Then after quickly glancing straight into the camera, pulls down her shorts, squats down and lets it all out over the floor of the lift.
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture1
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool4
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar5
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】6
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!7
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.6
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- We Try Fried Piranha, Even Dead and Cooked It’s Pretty Dangerous
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race
- Watch this totally unique Sailor Moon fan video — created with illustrations by over 250 artists!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea