Tokyo and its big city cousin to the south, Osaka, are consistently voted among the most expensive places in the world in international polls. Japan in general is notorious for its high prices, prompting many potential visitors to choose a different, more cost-effective destination. Sure, from an outside perspective, prices in Japan are more than most are used to, but what do those who actually live there think? Japanese website, Ameba News, asked 570 working Japanese adults to name any products they felt weren’t priced correctly, whether too expensive or too cheap. The results may surprised you.
Since the 20 September launch of the iPhone5S and iPhone5C some people have already purchased theirs while others remain on waiting lists. All around the world the iPhone5S is in short supply, the gold model in particular proving especially difficult to lay hands on.
So when a gold iPhone5S became available on eBay this week the bidding quickly got out of control, with the price of the phone shooting up to around US$10,000.
- Philip Kendall
Jan 11, 2013
Sleeping! Hand holding! Awkward conversation and pent-up sexual frustration!
What you’re about to witness, ladies and gentlemen, is “cuddle cafe” Soineya’s new oshiri makura (lit. butt pillow) service; the latest in awkward things that men can pay to do with young girls who don’t actually like them.
The concept is simple: a pretty girl enters your private booth, lies on her front and lets you rest your head on her bottom. But don’t drift into too deep a sleep, there, sonny- just one minute of oshiri makura action will cost you an incredible 1,000 yen (US$11).
Comprising Just 2% of the Global Population, Japanese Pay 18% of the World’s Total Insurance Premiums
- John Stuart Translations
Dec 24, 2012
The Japanese love their insurance. According to the weekly tabloid Shukan Post, the average household in Japan pays 454,300 yen (approx. US$5,393) a year in life insurance premiums in an effort to feel safe and protect loved ones. Comprising just 2% of the global population, Japan pays 18% of the world’s total insurance premiums, this which works out to average insurance spending of US$3,500 per capita, the highest level in the world.
Tokyo Disneyland Sees Its First Ever Wedding at Cinderella’s Castle, Fairy Magic Starts At US$96,000
- Philip Kendall
Oct 3, 2012
Flying in the face of the popular urban myth that couples who visit Tokyo Disneyland always leave single, on Friday, September 28, Takayuki Abiko and his bride Mayumi Kagoshi became the first couple ever to marry at Tokyo Disneyland’s Cinderella castle, inducing excited gasps and striking fear into the hearts of many across the land.
The “Disney Royal Dream Wedding” plan only began taking reservations at the beginning of September this year, giving Takayuki and Mayumi the privilege of being the first couple ever to exchange rows of love in the gigantic fairytale ballroom, and throwing them into the media spotlight. Read More
- Philip Kendall
Sep 28, 2012
Want to be the next political leader in Japan? We hope you’ve got deep pockets!
It was revealed by internet-condensing extraordinaire Naver this week that, in order to put themselves forward for election, aspiring political leaders much first make a mandatory deposit of six million yen (77,000 US dollars / 59,000 euros) into the legal system, making Japan the most expensive country in the world to announce one’s candidacy. Read More
- Blogger offers her top four tips for Japanese women dating foreign guys1
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation2
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide3
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】4
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC5
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children6
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else7
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- Dashboard camera captures the fear and chaos of Kaohsiung’s deadly gas explosion10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Dashboard camera captures the fear and chaos of Kaohsiung’s deadly gas explosion
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Japanese man goes missing at sea for 20 hours, then gets rescued by a lucky lifebelt