There were several scandals last year in Japan involving people being photographed inside ice cream freezers in convenience stores or lying atop bags of chicken nuggets in fast food restaurants. But it would seem that some workers in China have taken it to the next level, with scenes that may make you wish you could grow all your food yourself.
Airline meals once had a pretty bad rap, but in-flight food has improved quite a bit since Seinfeld was wondering what its deal was. And really, isn’t it kind of amazing that you can get a hot meal at all when you are barreling through the sky at 600 miles per hour in a small metal tube?
For everyone that has ever wondered how that perfectly portioned food turns up on your tray, we’ve gone behind that scenes at the in-flight meal production center for Japan Airlines (JAL) to get the scoop.
Get a shiny new iPhone 5 for Christmas? Already own one but looking for a way to spruce it up for the new year? These covers may be just the ticket!
Designed by Japanese writer and photographer Ken Oyama, these snappy smartphone covers are sure to draw plenty of interested glances on your next train ride or visit to a trendy coffee-house.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 11, 2012
As much as we love Christmas and would never hope to make our readers feel guilty for enjoying their time off and presents this year, we feel that it’s important to take a moment to remember where many of the toys and trinkets we receive each year really come from and the people who make them.
In this series of images captured by photographer Michael Wolf back in 2006, we see life on a Chinese toy production line. Crate after crate of doll heads, parts and stuffing; labourers sleeping beneath their workspaces; suspiciously young-looking girls putting together dolls; this isn’t something that most of us would like to think of while strolling through the aisles of Toys R Us.
After seeing these images, it will be difficult not to feel a pang of guilt the next time you visit a toy store or see a child’s happy face as they unwrap a Spongebob Squarepants bubble blower on Christmas morning…
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】1
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break4
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea7
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant8
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back9
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman6
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Teacher accidentally supports the armament of Japan with flawed cartoon reference
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site